Racism - It's a real thing.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Now ask what the Cowboys would do if Dak Prescott took a knee.

He's not as good as those three I mentioned.... Like I said, I'm not saying I had issues with Kaep's kneeling, I didn't.... I'm saying that there is baggage that comes with what Kaep did, whether justified or not, and you better be pretty good to have that baggage overlooked. Kaep isn't good enough for that to happen. Mahomes, Newton, and Wilson would be.

• Plus1 1

fwiw....I think both Russell Wilson and Cam Newton would take a lot of heat if they kneeled, and if their contracts were up and they were having their patriotism questioned by the President and a sizable chunk of the NFL fanbase, they would definitely have trouble negotiating their market worth with another team, and might be relegated to back up roles. Though they might land a job that Kaepernick wouldn't, you would hear the same argument that Wilson and Newton really weren't that good, that they were over-rated system quarterbacks who got lucky for a couple years and should now go quietly. 

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

fwiw....I think both Russell Wilson and Cam Newton would take a lot of heat if they kneeled, and if their contracts were up and they were having their patriotism questioned by the President and a sizable chunk of the NFL fanbase, they would definitely have trouble negotiating their market worth with another team, and might be relegated to back up roles. Though they might land a job that Kaepernick wouldn't, you would hear the same argument that Wilson and Newton really weren't that good, that they were over-rated system quarterbacks who got lucky for a couple years and should now go quietly. 

My deal with Kaepernick is this.  I fully support his freedom to do what he has done.  I even support his efforts of what he has tried to bring attention to.....even though it seems to have failed because it's become all about him and not the issues.....which that's in large part from the reaction of his detractors.

Anyway....getting back on subject.  I also support an NFL team from not hiring him.  If I'm an owner or HC, I very well might not hire him...not because I'm racist.  But, because I don't want that distraction in the club house.  Was he a good QB?  Sure...maybe.  He was at least a decent one.  But, I don't think his talents out weigh the distraction from the ultimate goal of the team, and that is to win games and represent their fan base.  Me thinking he would distract from accomplishing that, is not racist.

Now....there ARE definitely racist people who don't like him because he kneels.  I personally know a lot of them.  But, I support both his efforts and the freedom of an NFL team to not be required to hire him.

If you are going to take a stand like he has, you have to also realize there are consequences to the actions that aren't necessarily all about race.

I don't disagree with an owner not wanting to deal with that circus every single week, all-season. Agree it's not racist, although it could be. 

People who understand legal maneuvers and language think the NFL probably did get caught in a collusion scenario on Kaepernick, and they didn't need another example of how they've been doing everything wrong.

But I don't think Kaepernick was surprised to learn there were consequences. I do think he believed he should be playing football ahead of Blaine Gabbert. If you've been following this story at all, you'd know Kaepernick isn't all about the money. He's had his consciousness raised  -- for better or worse -- and if his goal was to focus attention on policing in the black community, he succeeded beyond expectation.

Here's my problem with Kaepernick, and where I might even lean into B.B. Hemingway's camp: he found his social consciousness when his career hit bottom, when you're open to the sense of injustice and victimization. And it seems clear his activist education came fast and quick from a girlfriend --- which is fine, but it does make you wonder where this wealthy biracial athlete stood on civil rights just a couple years earlier, when he was the NFL's next big thing and the problem was just as prominent.

Also, Colin Kaepernick admitted he didn't vote, and even encouraged non-voting, claiming it changed nothing. And you know......f#&% that, Colin. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

and if his goal was to focus attention on policing in the black community, he succeeded beyond expectation.

I don't know.  My whole frustration in all this is that it seems like all I hear while sitting in central Nebraska is what a low life dirt ball Kap is because he doesn't stand for the flag and anthem and he must hate America bla bla bla......

It seems like the people talking about the policing issues are the same people that were talking about it before.  The ones with their heads in the sand over the deal still have them fully stuck up the 'merica is great...stand for the F'ing flag you commie.....rear end.

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know.  My whole frustration in all this is that it seems like all I hear while sitting in central Nebraska is what a low life dirt ball Kap is because he doesn't stand for the flag and anthem and he must hate America bla bla bla......

It seems like the people talking about the policing issues are the same people that were talking about it before.  The ones with their heads in the sand over the deal still have them fully stuck up the 'merica is great...stand for the F'ing flag you commie.....rear end.

Look at you being a bleeding heart liberal over here :lol:

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ZRod said:

Look at you being a bleeding heart liberal over here :lol:

To my close friends in central Nebraska whom I'm willing to talk politics with, I'm a bleeding hear liberal.  To certain family members who live on the east coast, I'm a die hard conservative.  

That tells me that I'm probably right where I want to be.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

To my close friends in central Nebraska whom I'm willing to talk politics with, I'm a bleeding hear liberal.  To certain family members who live on the east coast, I'm a die hard conservative.  

That tells me that I'm probably right where I want to be.

Same! I'm a "lib" on HuskerBoard but to family & friends on the coasts, I'm moderate/conservative.  Perspective is everything!  :D