Racism - It's a real thing.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

People really write on receipts?  

I could be wrong and I never waited tables so those of you who have can speak to it but how many people write on receipts?  I have once...I left my digits for a waitress.

I've written on them, if I was deluded enough to think the waitress was actually into me :D  

On 2/19/2019 at 2:42 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't disagree with an owner not wanting to deal with that circus every single week, all-season. Agree it's not racist, although it could be. 

People who understand legal maneuvers and language think the NFL probably did get caught in a collusion scenario on Kaepernick, and they didn't need another example of how they've been doing everything wrong.

But I don't think Kaepernick was surprised to learn there were consequences. I do think he believed he should be playing football ahead of Blaine Gabbert. If you've been following this story at all, you'd know Kaepernick isn't all about the money. He's had his consciousness raised  -- for better or worse -- and if his goal was to focus attention on policing in the black community, he succeeded beyond expectation.

Here's my problem with Kaepernick, and where I might even lean into B.B. Hemingway's camp: he found his social consciousness when his career hit bottom, when you're open to the sense of injustice and victimization. And it seems clear his activist education came fast and quick from a girlfriend --- which is fine, but it does make you wonder where this wealthy biracial athlete stood on civil rights just a couple years earlier, when he was the NFL's next big thing and the problem was just as prominent.

Also, Colin Kaepernick admitted he didn't vote, and even encouraged non-voting, claiming it changed nothing. And you know......f#&% that, Colin. 

To add to your comments, and to BRB's ...

Why is it an issue if he just started to find his social conciousness?  I'd say I've done the same as I've grown older and as I've seen more that I'm shocked and offended by.  For the most part I think folks get more courage to stand up and speak out as they grow older as well.  I hadn't read that this was instigated due to a new romantic relationship, I'll have to look more into that.  edit: and I think priviledge also comes into play here - 

And similarly, I can understand why you say that an owner wouldn't want the circus BRB, but I wonder, is there an owner out there that sees this for what it is and the potential beneficial side?  Honestly I think it's a pretty good opportunity in many ways.  For instance, the Nike campaign with Colin is an example professionals should all look at.

14 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

And the smollett saga will live on. Always best to tread lightly and use reason when seeing these attention grabbing headlines. Esepcially given the fact he has already taken down the original post.

Shocker...

From what I have found during my life...most people are pretty decent...most people don't do s#!t like this.

Just now, teachercd said:

Shocker...

From what I have found during my life...most people are pretty decent...most people don't do s#!t like this.

Agreed.

I'm not saying there aren't racist out there - obviously there are. But it takes a special kind of person to be this big of a jackass in person. Lot easier to be a tough guy/gal when hiding behind a keyboard.

Just now, HuskerNBigD said:

Agreed.

I'm not saying there aren't racist out there - obviously there are. But it takes a special kind of person to be this big of a jackass in person. Lot easier to be a tough guy/gal when hiding behind a keyboard.

So very true!

We all know people that are horrible people...but then act totally different in public.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

To add to your comments, and to BRB's ...

Why is it an issue if he just started to find his social conciousness?  I'd say I've done the same as I've grown older and as I've seen more that I'm shocked and offended by.  For the most part I think folks get more courage to stand up and speak out as they grow older as well.  I hadn't read that this was instigated due to a new romantic relationship, I'll have to look more into that.  edit: and I think priviledge also comes into play here - 

And similarly, I can understand why you say that an owner wouldn't want the circus BRB, but I wonder, is there an owner out there that sees this for what it is and the potential beneficial side?  Honestly I think it's a pretty good opportunity in many ways.  For instance, the Nike campaign with Colin is an example professionals should all look at.

Maybe I'm too suspect, but as long as you mention it, the Nike campaign salutes Kaepernick for "risking everything."  At the time he started kneeling, Kaepernick's career had already bottomed out --- from Super Bowls and ESPY fame to sitting on the bench while Blaine Gabbert led the team. A bit like alcoholics finding God only when everything has fallen apart. No harm in that, but the real courage is using your fame when you are at the top of the game, where both the influence and risk is higher.

There might be a team this season willing to bring Kaepernick aboard --- as a back up -- and an owner with a social conscious and/or willing to use publicity of any kind. Not sure where I'd put my money on that.

• Plus1 1

Thats fair - I don't even care if he's signed or not - but if I were an owner, I'd be interested in the data behind my season ticket holders race/politics and etc and would make some very calculated moves in a broad sense when it comes to visibility.  In Atlanta for instance, I'd bet the team's support of local initiatives (not sure what those might look like- youth programs, partnering with police etc) would be very well received vs. the audience in Baltimore where their supporters may be wired differently.  I find it so interesting how the NBA handles this vs the NFL just based on audience alone.