Racism - It's a real thing.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe I'm too suspect, but as long as you mention it, the Nike campaign salutes Kaepernick for "risking everything." 

Does it actually?

The actual ad (video) has nothing about that. There were billboards and posters and stuff with text over his face, but how much of that is using Kaepernick to send a message to consumers vs sending a message about Kaepernick?

Regardless, he was still a millionaire making millions "playing" football at the time.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

What are the feelings about candidates Harris/Warren/Castro speaking in favor of reparations for slavery? This stance marks a shift from past election cycles when it has come up...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2019/02/22/candidates-say-yes-race-based-reparations-remain-vague-details/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e64cae42eaba

Feel like it is political grandstanding. Nothing more, nothing less.

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You have got to be kidding me. 

I'm all for calling out racism and holding people accountable - but is there something else to this story? If this is all there is, this is not remotely worthy of suspending the guy from work for the rest of the season. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I'm all for calling out racism and holding people accountable - but is there something else to this story? If this is all there is, this is not remotely worthy of suspending the guy from work for the rest of the season. 

You know as much as I do. if that’s  all he said...., redicilous. 

If I heard someone say that on the radio, I still would have no idea what race the player is. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You have got to be kidding me. 

:facepalm:

If he had referred to him as a gorilla or a monkey, I can understand. But this is ridiculous. No one who calls someone King Kong is saying someone is like a gorilla or a monkey. They're saying they're big and powerful and terrorizing the other team.

• Plus1 3

24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

:facepalm:

If he had referred to him as a gorilla or a monkey, I can understand. But this is ridiculous. No one who calls someone King Kong is saying someone is like a gorilla or a monkey. They're saying they're big and powerful and terrorizing the other team.

There was a tennis announcer that had to step down because he used the term guerrilla to describe one of the WIlliam's sisters style of play. Of course, many were adamant he was using the word gorilla. But if you go back and listen to the audio, grammatically you can tell 100% he was using guerrilla. So much so that ESPN settled with him out of court, since he was terminated immediately.

Edit: not to mention Nike ran a guerrilla tennis campaign in 95, apparently the phrase was in the lexicon of most tennis professionals. 

3 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

There was a tennis announcer that had to step down because he used the term guerrilla to describe one of the WIlliam's sisters style of play. Of course, many were adamant he was using the word gorilla. But if you go back and listen to the audio, grammatically you can tell 100% he was using guerrilla. So much so that ESPN settled with him out of court, since he was terminated immediately.

Gorilla warfare's a thing, right? :P