Racism - It's a real thing.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:56 PM, DevoHusker said:

What are the feelings about candidates Harris/Warren/Castro speaking in favor of reparations for slavery? This stance marks a shift from past election cycles when it has come up...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2019/02/22/candidates-say-yes-race-based-reparations-remain-vague-details/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e64cae42eaba

We need to take these things seriously

many felt a black person couldnt be elected president- he was

many including myself thought trump would never win- he did

just 5 years ago few would have thought we would allow bio males to change and shower in female locker rooms

look at how most of the dems who were for border enforcement and even walls are now all against it today- just a few years later 

Things change 

why not vote for reperations if you are part of the 47 percent who pay no income taxes

you are voting to require others to pay- not yourself 

easiest thing to do is spending other people’s money and stick it to them at the same time a double whammy - why not?

lots of things we thought would never happen just a few years ago- happen 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Where does this figure come from?

Unfortunately it is very true

The number today is 45 percent

nearly half of us households pay no income tax 

but not widely known

i said 47 percent

looks like it’s 44 or 45

i was off a tiny bit

Very unpopular to mention it

romney was crucified for it 

real shame nearly half the population has the ability to require the other half to  at the point of a gun to pay for whatever they choose to without having any skin in the game

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/tcja-increasing-share-households-paying-no-federal-income-tax

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/80875198-DB28-11E5-89D4-A2CD00F97721

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, OTHusker said:

Unfortunately it is very true

The number today is 45 percent

nearly half of us households pay no income tax 

but not widely known

i said 47 percent

looks like it’s 44 or 45

i was off a tiny bit

Very unpopular to mention it

romney was crucified for it 

real shame nearly half the population has the ability to require the other half to  at the point of a gun to pay for whatever they choose to without having any skin in the game

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/tcja-increasing-share-households-paying-no-federal-income-tax

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/80875198-DB28-11E5-89D4-A2CD00F97721

Romney wasn't "crucified" for stating the fact that 47% of Americans don't pay income tax.  He was "crucified" because he labeled the 47% as entitled do-nothings that suck off the tit of the wealthy and therefore he has no need to worry about them.  He forgot to realize this 47% includes nurses, teachers, policeman, firefighters, US soldiers, city workers, construction workers, welders, mechanics, etc....

The Quote "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... [M]y job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

• Plus1 3

It was a pretty harsh statement

however I’m not sure your statement is accurate

registered nurses, policeman or teachers , they all make well more than the minimum to pay income taxes

im married to a nurse

easily over 80k in year 3

my nephew is a policeman he does great and has off the chart benefits and retirement 

and I work with teachers on a summer supplemental teaching program- much better gig than you think, pay benefits etc 

with the exception of teachers or cops in their first year or 2 they have a pretty sweet gig when you look at the whole picture and ability to make more by working more along with job stability 

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

registered nurses, policeman or teachers , they all make well more than the minimum to pay income taxes

im married to a nurse

my nephew is a policeman he does great and has off the chart benefits and retirement 

and I work with teachers on a summer supplemental teaching program- much better gig than you think, pay benefits etc 

with the exception of teachers or cops in their first year or 2 they have a pretty sweet gig when you look at the whole picture and ability to make more by working more along with job stability 

If a family of five makes around $65,000 year (blue collar family, maybe a teacher and stay at home spouse) they will get a standard deduction of $24000.  This brings taxable income to 41,000, this means their tax bill would be around $5500.  With the child tax credit ($6000 3x$2000) they would pay $0, and actually make about $500 off of the federal govt.

Edit: I'm a public teacher married to a RN.  I'm not complaining about where we're at at all.  But I also know a whole lot of hard working, good people that don't pay a dime in federal income tax because unfortunately they don't make enough.  But they still do an awful lot of complaining about how the government is spending someone else's money.

22 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

im married to a nurse

RN making 80k after 3 years of service? In Nebraska? Where are they working? As Warren Buffetts personal nurse? Because RNs do not even make close to that in Nebraska in 3 years. Maybe 45k if they are lucky. My sister worked as a charge nurse for Creighton for 6 years before becoming a traveling nurse which pays a lot more but still not 80k a year. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

RN making 80k after 3 years of service? In Nebraska? Where are they working? As Warren Buffetts personal nurse? Because RNs do not even make close to that in Nebraska in 3 years. Maybe 45k if they are lucky. My sister worked as a charge nurse for Creighton for 6 years before becoming a traveling nurse which pays a lot more but still not 80k a year. 

Yeah, even with a BSN, that kind of salary isn't realistic.

22 hours ago, OTHusker said:

The problem with the statement is that it's extremely misleading in how it's used...even by you.

Forbes

So, who is not paying up on the income tax front and why aren’t they required to bear the same responsibilities that you are?

The vast majority of non-income taxpayers fall into three categories:

• 17 percent includes students, people with disabilities or illnesses, the long-term unemployed, and other people with very low taxable incomes. Also included would be people like our soldiers in foreign wars who are exempted from paying income taxes while they are on active duty in a war zone.
  • 22 percent of people who did not pay federal income taxes in 2009 are people aged 65 or older who have modest incomes (and do not have earnings).
  • 61 percent are working people who pay payroll taxes but are not paying income taxes.

The only purpose of the statement is to anger people towards people who aren't paying income taxes....which....the majority are still paying federal taxes.

At worst it's a myth and at best it's a stretch of the truth to divide people into economic groups for political gain.

From these numbers, the majority of these people are not sitting at home thinking the government owes them entitlements.  In fact, that group would be a very small minority.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
On 2/24/2019 at 2:33 PM, Moiraine said:

I know of an RN in El Paso making $80k, but that's after at least 10 years and she is bilingual in a city with 80% of the population with Spanish as a first language.

My wife made over 80 k in her 3rd year out here in Lincoln working nights 

not enough experience to get days 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

My wife made over 80 k in her 3rd year out here in Lincoln working nights 

not enough experience to get days 

RN or NP???

Unless your wife is working 5 shifts a week.  My mother-in-law is a nurse with 35 years of experience in Lincoln, went into management for the promotion/raise, and she might be making around $80-90,000.  My wife is in her 13 year of nursing in Omaha.  She is at one of the best hospitals in the city, works nights, has extra certifications for extra pay, and she gets around $60-65 when its all said and done.  Sorry to be skeptical, but it doesn't add up.  

• Plus1 1