Racism - It's a real thing.

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Did I miss something?  Tax returns are because someone paid TOO MUCH income tax, not because they didn't pay.

The discussion is about people that have a tax bill of zero, but still get things like the Child Tax Credit.  

They would be refunded whatever taxes were withheld PLUS receive "free" money from the govt.

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

free and/or ACTUAL taxpayers' money.

I should be clear, I'm not against the Child Tax Credit.  But I'm with you that it is frustrating to hear people that are in this situation talk about how their income taxes are being spent and/or complaining they won't get more.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

While I think that probably needs to get fixed, what percentage of the population has you triggered? I bet it's not very high...

That figure is around 47% don't pay income tax, that's what started this tangent.   However, the entire 47% isn't complaining about how much they are or aren't getting back.  

27 minutes ago, funhusker said:

How so?

I guess the estimate for this year is around 44%

By the time you take out the students, elderly, disabled, military, institutionalized....bla bla...bla.....that figure is much much smaller.  The stat is used to make people outraged at all the lazy people living off us hard working people.  Reality is, the vast majority of them are not people who you're going to kick off of assistance or all of a sudden start making pay income tax.

FORBES

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

By the time you take out the elderly, disabled, military disabled, institutionalized....bla bla...bla.....that figure is much much smaller.  The stat is used to make people outraged at all the lazy people living off us hard working people.  Reality is, the vast majority of them are not people who you're going to kick off of assistance or all of a sudden start making pay income tax.

It doesn't make the stat misleading, it's simply a description of the population of the stat.

15 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

They're the people that complain the most, and have the nerve to bitch because their tax return wasn't  as much as other years, etc.... Despite not paying a dime in Income tax.:facepalm:

Dude at my office paid $1800 in (must claim 10), and received $3000 back. I know this because he bragged about it for about 3 months. Yet, always complains about his tax dollars. 

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's misleading because of how it's used and the connotations people try to take from it.

I can sympathize with those who have lower incomes and disabilities.

I can also sympathize with those who fight higher taxes on their productive incomes.

My tax accountant always finds it amusing when people get excited or brag about the money they're getting back on their return.

It's not money they're "getting back," it's money they already earned that the government was holding, without paying interest. 

I believe the vast majority of Americans receiving W-2 income have taxes baked in, and whatever refunds they receive by no means indicate they didn't pay taxes. 

• Plus1 3