Racism - It's a real thing.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Most of what I’ve seen from them is not fact based or data driven. Kind of like Breitbart. If you fall for their utter bulls#!t, that’s on you.

I will never understand why anyone rational would waste their time watching political opinion shows. What about these people makes you respect their opinions?

They're nothing like Breitbart, and it's "utter bulls#!t". The fact that you compare PragerU to Breitbart, shows how little you know about them. They have their fair share of smart, intelluctual, connected, educated people in their videos. Like I said, just because you don't believe in what they're saying, doesn't mean it isn't worth watching.

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Sheltered lol....Manufacturing companies (I worked in one for 10 years) do have endless rotation. They just do. And if you work for a small business, and they don't offer a 401K, go to your local Schwab or Edward Jones agent, they'll set you up! I own my own small business now, it's what I have to do if I want a 401k! What's ludicrous is pretending that people don't have job opportunities available too them....pretending they're relegated to Wendy's drive-thru window for the rest of their life.

That would be ridiculous if anyone was saying that.

You are again ignoring the data. It’s your choice if you want to do that. Endless rotation does not = endless available jobs. There are other people vying for said jobs. No companies just have endless open positions while people are just contentedly at their s#!tty jobs with no retirement plan for the fun of it. 

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

They're nothing like Breitbart, and it's "utter bulls#!t". The fact that you compare PragerU to Breitbart, shows how little you know about them. They have their fair share of smart, intelluctual, connected, educated people in their videos. Like I said, just because you don't believe in what they're saying, doesn't mean it isn't worth watching.

Why do you waste your time on opinion shows? Why do you respect the opinions of the people paid by PragerU?

PragerU posts Breitbart articles. Breitbart posts articles about PragerU. There is a lot of overlap in their bulls#!t articles, they are just aimed at a somewhat different audience. They are very similar in the bulls#!t they peddle.

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That would be ridiculous if anyone was saying that.

You are again ignoring the data. It’s your choice if you want to do that. Endless rotation does not = endless available jobs. There are other people vying for said jobs. No companies just have endless open positions while people are just contentedly at their s#!tty jobs with no retirement plan for the fun of it. 

You don't think there's a chance that a lot people just don't think about retirement? Don't know how to plan for it? Or don't care to know how? Manufacturing jobs (this is the example we'll go with I guess), are not hard to get. They are largely unskilled jobs, and the people occupying those jobs aren't usually the type that stick around for long periods of time. I seen it a thousands of times over my 10 years in a place like that, so believe me when I tell you that some people are just s#!t. Some people just don't care.

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

You don't think there's a chance that a lot people just don't think about retirement? Don't know how to plan for it? Or don't care to know how? Manufacturing jobs (this is the example we'll go with I guess), are not hard to get. They are largely unskilled jobs, and the people occupying those jobs aren't usually the type that stick around for long periods of time. I seen it a thousands of times over my 10 years in a place like, so believe me when I tell you that some people are just s#!t. Some people just don't care.

“Some” isn’t data. 80% live paycheck to paycheck. The ones without access to company matching, which is a lot of them, don’t have the funds for getting their own retirement plans. That’s part of what living paycheck to paycheck means. These are the facts.

There are always exceptions, but that’s what you’re talking about. Exceptions.

16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

What's ludicrous is pretending that people don't have job opportunities available too them....pretending they're relegated to Wendy's drive-thru window for the rest of their life. 

Very much agree.

It's "anecdotal" I'm sure, but the company I work for has doubled in revenue the past 5 years and we sometimes struggle to get applicants in an industry that pays well.

11 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Very much agree.

It's "anecdotal" I'm sure, but the company I work for has doubled in revenue the past 5 years and we sometimes struggle to get applicants in an industry that pays well.

Struggling to get applicants is not in the same universe as "endless jobs"

It's a good market for employees, for sure. Yet there are still millions of employers who don't offer a retirement plan and millions and millions of people living paycheck to paycheck.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Struggling to get applicants is not in the same universe as "endless jobs"

It's a good market for employees, for sure. Yet there are still millions of employers who don't offer a retirement plan and millions and millions of people living paycheck to paycheck.

My employer does not offer a retirement plan.

I do not have cable or satellite television.

I do have an IRA.

Choices.

52 minutes ago, TheSker said:

My employer does not offer a retirement plan.

I do not have cable or satellite television.

I do have an IRA.

Choices.

19 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Good choices. Imagine that, huh?

:rolleyes:. You don't know how many people living paycheck to paycheck are choosing cable or other stupid things over a retirement plan, or even over having enough food to eat. Hell, I haven't paid a dime for cable or satellite in my lifetime and it wasn't out of desperation. There are people who spend money on stupid things, but unless you have data, just spouting off examples of things not to spend money on over a retirement plan adds nothing to the conversation.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Are you aiming this at me or using the royal you?

You = everyone who isn't offered a 401k through their employer.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

:rolleyes:. You don't know how many people living paycheck to paycheck are choosing cable or other stupid things over a retirement plan, or even over having enough food to eat. Hell, I haven't paid a dime for cable or satellite in my lifetime and it wasn't out of desperation. There are people who spend money on stupid things, but unless you have data, just spouting off examples of things not to spend money on over a retirement plan adds nothing to the conversation.

Talk to people who work in banks.... There are more people that are s#!tty with money, than there are that are good with it. Credit scores reflect it too.

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Talk to people who work in banks.... There are more people that are s#!tty with money, than there are that are good with it. Credit scores reflect it too.

I work in a bank.

And I'm not arguing against the fact that many people are s#!tty with money. I just don't understand why it's so hard to imagine having a couple things go wrong and being in a bad situation for a long time. It's easy for me to imagine. Bad s#!t can happen to people who are doing everything right. And people who work hard can have jobs that aren't very good. No place I worked at before I got a degree offered a retirement fund and I didn't have any extra $ to put in one. That's the case for a lot of people that aren't lazy, aren't stupid, and aren't wasting money.

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There are people who spend money on stupid things, but unless you have data, just spouting off examples of things not to spend money on over a retirement plan adds nothing to the conversation.

Neither does dismissiveness.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I work in a bank.

And I'm not arguing against the fact that many people are s#!tty with money. I just don't understand why it's so hard to imagine having a couple things go wrong and being in a bad situation for a long time. It's easy for me to imagine. Bad s#!t can happen to people who are doing everything right. And people who work hard can have jobs that aren't very good. No place I worked at before I got a degree offered a retirement fund and I didn't have any extra $ to put in one. That's the case for a lot of people that aren't lazy, aren't stupid, and aren't wasting money.

But you went and earned your degree. You bettered your situation. While college degrees may not be for everyone, bettering yourself is. And if the goal is to have a job that provides a 401k, it's not that big of a step.