Racism - It's a real thing.

9 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

They also benefit from at least a few things because they're black.

A black guy walks into a general store in a suit and tie, and you think he's consistently followed around the store? I highly doubt it. Now a black guy (or white, or brown, etc) walks into a store dressed like a thug? I'll buy that. Except that I believe it has more to do with their appearance reflecting their social class, fair or not. (the way they are dressed, etc).

It's pretty easy to tell what "class" an individual (any color) comes from after a few moments of observation. It isn't fool proof, obviously....

You need to go talk to some african americans.  Suits don't make a difference.

edit:  I should clarify, my black friends say that it doesn't.  The only thing wearing a suit does is get them looked at funny in their own neighborhood - assumptions about why they're wearing a jacket etc (got a job interview?  Parole meeting?).  They say that things are definitely better when they're dressed up, but that the suspicion and fear does not go away.  A woman grabs her purse no matter what they're wearing, a sales clerk follows them around regardless, they're just typically less outwardly aggressive and more passive aggressive about their comments.

16 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yes, and white people benefit from at least a few things because they're white.

But white people do not suffer certain slights because they're white, while black people do. Which is what I said the first time. 

Also, as NM said, wearing a suit does not make minorities exempt from suspicion in plenty of scenarios. I remember The Daily Show did an experiment when Stewart was still the anchor where they had 10 black men dressed incredibly well and 10 white men dressed on the rougher side walk into the building that they shot the show in. 9/10 of the black men got stopped by security and not a single white guy had a problem.

18 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

A black guy walks into a general store in a suit and tie, and you think he's consistently followed around the store? I highly doubt it. Now a black guy (or white, or brown, etc) walks into a store dressed like a thug? I'll buy that. Except that I believe it has more to do with their appearance reflecting their social class, fair or not. (the way they are dressed, etc).

It's pretty easy to tell what "class" an individual (any color) comes from after a few moments of observation. It isn't fool proof, obviously....

BB - just reading this again.  What things do POC benefit from because of their skin color?

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Yes, and white people benefit from at least a few things because they're white.

But white people do not suffer certain slights because they're white, while black people do. Which is what I said the first time. 

Also, as NM said, wearing a suit does not make minorities exempt from suspicion in plenty of scenarios. I remember The Daily Show did an experiment when Stewart was still the anchor where they had 10 black men dressed incredibly well and 10 white men dressed on the rougher side walk into the building that they shot the show in. 9/10 of the black men got stopped by security and not a single white guy had a problem.

Suspicions aren't going away anytime soon, and anybody who looks different than the majority in any given area will face them (try stopping in a Chicken & Waffles joint in Birmingham, Alabama, as a white person.... it's....interesting).

As for the Daily Show.... I don't know. I have a real hard time believing that, and it could easily be staged. Wouldn't be the first time a television show was used  to push a narrative. 

It's obviously a small sample size, but in my little neck of the woods, I just don't see that sort of behavior towards black people, or Hispanics. And I live in a rural, majority white, area of the country.

3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

BB - just reading this again.  What things do POC benefit from because of their skin color?

Related image

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's obviously a small sample size, but in my little neck of the woods, I just don't see that sort of behavior towards black people, or Hispanics. And I live in a rural, majority white, area of the country.

In my experience small homogenous rural communities are surprisingly good at treating everyone relatively equally as individuals. Black guy walks in to the bar you treat him the same as you'd treat anyone else. The tradeoff is that bad or wrong ideas about different distant people can fester. That's most of my family - would have a great time shooting the s#!t with any minority/PoC person that came across their path, while still thinking that "blacks" as an almost mythological group of people far away are lazy and entitled and violent or something.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Suspicions aren't going away anytime soon, and anybody who looks different than the majority in any given area will face them (try stopping in a Chicken & Waffles joint in Birmingham, Alabama, as a white person.... it's....interesting).

As for the Daily Show.... I don't know. I have a real hard time believing that, and it could easily be staged. Wouldn't be the first time a television show was used  to push a narrative. 

Related image

I wasn't sure about the whole chicken & waffles thing.

Then I had them at a bar & grill called LODOs in Westminster Colorado.  They were actually pretty good.

I'm not sure I'm ready to test KFCs version, but they were surprisingly good.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I wasn't sure about the whole chicken & waffles thing.

Then I had them at a bar & grill called LODOs in Westminster Colorado.  They were actually pretty good.

I'm not sure I'm ready to test KFCs version, but they were surprisingly good.

Chicken & Waffles are a fantastic combination.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

In my experience small homogenous rural communities are surprisingly good at treating everyone relatively equally as individuals. Black guy walks in to the bar you treat him the same as you'd treat anyone else. The tradeoff is that bad or wrong ideas about different distant people can fester. That's most of my family - would have a great time shooting the s#!t with any minority/PoC person that came across their path, while still thinking that "blacks" as an almost mythological group of people far away are lazy and entitled and violent or something.

I can see this, yes.

I'll wade into the eggshell waters in response to NM asking about advantages being black.

I'd say one is that you can much easier get away with really terrible and/or hateful ideas and rhetoric in society. So much of the conversation is always framed around blacks as victims and disadvantaged that they can sometimes pretty easily be given a pass for their own racist or discriminatory thoughts or actions.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1