Racism - It's a real thing.

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

I'll wade into the eggshell waters in response to NM asking about advantages being black.

I'd say one is that you can much easier get away with really terrible and/or hateful ideas and rhetoric in society. So much of the conversation is always framed around blacks as victims and disadvantaged that they can sometimes pretty easily be given a pass for their own racist or discriminatory thoughts or actions.

I really had to think about this, as it went a direction that I didn't expect.  

So a similar example would be that african americans can use the "n" word and we can not?  It's true, but I guess I don't understand what advantages that gives them or how that disadvantages us.

7 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I really had to think about this, as it went a direction that I didn't expect.  

So a similar example would be that african americans can use the "n" word and we can not?  It's true, but I guess I don't understand what advantages that gives them or how that disadvantages us.

Yes but that specifically isn't a good example imo. I'm saying more along the lines of something like Cardi B can more or less admit to date raping men and stealing their money and it's not too much of a story. That specific example isn't just a race thing, there's also a gender thing and a celebrity thing and its more of a complicated matrix, but it speaks somewhat to the point I'm trying to make where we let people off really easy sometimes based on immutable characteristics. 

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

Yes but that specifically isn't a good example imo. I'm saying more along the lines of something like Cardi B can more or less admit to date raping men and stealing their money and it's not too much of a story. That specific example isn't just a race thing, there's also a gender thing and a celebrity thing and its more of a complicated matrix, but it speaks somewhat to the point I'm trying to make where we let people off really easy sometimes based on immutable characteristics.  

That one is definitely more of a gender thing than a celebrity thing.

We've got Bill Cosby and Weinstein and Louis C.K. and Steve Wynn and so on and so forth as proof. Though there's quite a bit more detail to each of those stories, we're are still incredibly gendered in the way in which we as a society evaluate sexually predatory behavior.

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Apparently, Disney is leaving this off of their new streaming app because it's racially insensitive....

So, what is racist about this?

Because of capitalism:

Disney CEO Bob Iger spoke about the decision during the company's 2011 annual meeting, saying that, after a rewatch of the film, he felt parts of it "wouldn't necessarily sit right or feel right to a number of people today" and that "it wouldn't be in the best interest of our shareholders to bring it back, even though there would be some financial gain." Boardwalk Times first reported the movie's absence.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/song-south-dumbos-jim-crow-scene-will-not-be-disney-1203624

You or I didn't find it racist, but Disney has been fearful enough of the potential blowback by the people that would, that they have apparently never released it to home video.

7 hours ago, funhusker said:

Because of capitalism:

Disney CEO Bob Iger spoke about the decision during the company's 2011 annual meeting, saying that, after a rewatch of the film, he felt parts of it "wouldn't necessarily sit right or feel right to a number of people today" and that "it wouldn't be in the best interest of our shareholders to bring it back, even though there would be some financial gain." Boardwalk Times first reported the movie's absence.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/song-south-dumbos-jim-crow-scene-will-not-be-disney-1203624

You or I didn't find it racist, but Disney has been fearful enough of the potential blowback by the people that would, that they have apparently never released it to home video.

Sensitivity. Forever the enemy of our beloved, capitalism.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok....I’m a pretty big capitalist so, I have to ask. 

What is is anti capitalism about this?

Nothing. It was a tongue-in-cheek remark.

Although, I do find it ridiculous that a company decides to not release a product that is clearly not racist, because they know there is a faction of our population who will claim it too be so. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Nothing. It was a tongue-in-cheek remark.

Although, I do find it ridiculous that a company decides to not release a product that is clearly not racist, because they know there is a faction of our population who will claim it too be so. 

The liberal side of me prefers not to censor anything. You should be able to watch Dumbo or Birth of a Nation or Breakfast at Tiffany's and let the historical context be part of the experience, for better or worse. It's weirder to pretend this stuff never existed.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The liberal side of me prefers not to censor anything. You should be able to watch Dumbo or Birth of a Nation or Breakfast at Tiffany's and let the historical context be part of the experience, for better or worse. It's weirder to pretend this stuff never existed.  

I agree 100%.  But I'm also not going to fault a company for wanting to protect their brand.