Racism - It's a real thing.

On 4/28/2019 at 8:37 AM, funhusker said:

I get it.  But it doesn't change the fact that he was an enemy of the United States of America.

The logic used to keep General Lee in "high regard" could also be used to hold generals in the British, German and Japanese armies to the same status. 

Which I think you can do, if you're a historian or a war nerd and you are speaking in the context of military strategy, or even personal character. Even Patton and Montgomery admired Rommel. 

But there's a reason we didn't go to Erwin Rommel Middle School.

And neither do German kids.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Which I think you can do, if you're a historian or a war nerd and you are speaking in the context of military strategy, or even personal character. Even Patton and Montgomery admired Rommel. 

And, there's a reason why we don't have Hitler or Tojo statues around the US.  

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That was my poorly conveyed point....

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is bad.

Did House Speaker's office attempt to frame activist? DA asks for special prosecutor to investigate

Casada's chief of staff: 'Black people are idiots'

In late February, a cup was thrown onto the Speaker's elevator -- and Jones was arrested for assault.

He was released on bond on the condition he have no contact with Casada.

"I've obeyed it," Jones insisted.

"This many months later, I have not had any contact with Casada or have not been at the Capitol. So I followed the no-contact order."

But in early March, Funk's office filed a motion to revoke Jones' bail, citing an email Jones had allegedly sent to Casada's chief of staff that was copied to the House Speaker, thus violating his bond conditions.

Jones knew it wasn't true.

"It was a shock because it was my freedom," he said. "If this would have went through to revoke my bond, I would be in jail right now until my court date. So this is not something I take lightly."

The young activist later learned that the DA's motion was based on a photo of an email with the date of March 1st -- just one day after the no-contact order.

But Jones had the original email. The real date was February 25th, which was before his arrest.

The DA's office now admits their evidence came from the Speaker's chief of staff.

"You have some of the most powerful people in this state who are willing to file a false report and to file a false paperwork and to manipulate paperwork to take your freedom away," Jones said.

"That's something that's scary."

The Speaker's reaction?

"I know nothing of that -- nothing," Casada told NewsChannel 5 Investigates.

• Thanks 1

Hoping for some perspective here folks, I was on another thread and read this, 

But the fact that you see PU is probably because it's an engineering school with lots of Asian graduates. So od course they will be everywhere 

I asked for some clarity, and got a response, but it became apparent with eye rolls and the reply that that section of the site isn't the right spot for the discussion.

PU has a very large Asian population for students and most of them are in the engineering field. I didn't mean they are everywhere in SC.  I meant everywhere across the US.  I dont think they hang around West Lafayette, IN after graduation 

What am I missing here?  I mean this as a real question, not wanting to string anybody up or start a fight, but my hackles are up.

10 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Hoping for some perspective here folks, I was on another thread and read this, 

I asked for some clarity, and got a response, but it became apparent with eye rolls and the reply that that section of the site isn't the right spot for the discussion.

What am I missing here?  I mean this as a real question, not wanting to string anybody up or start a fight, but my hackles are up.

This isn't some weird or racist phenomena.  For a long time, Asian countries have sent their students here to be educated and lots of them are in the engineering fields.  Purdue has a very good engineering program, so it's not out of line to realize that a lot of asian students go there.

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

So how about the guy being banned from Wrigley field for life for playing the circle game on live TV but it being "linked" to white supremacists?

Because 4chan can so easily troll the entire world.

But also some people are racist white supremacists?

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This isn't some weird or racist phenomena.  For a long time, Asian countries have sent their students here to be educated and lots of them are in the engineering fields.  Purdue has a very good engineering program, so it's not out of line to realize that a lot of asian students go there.

I don't doubt that - there are people of all races at every college.  My issue is why say it at all?  If you look at "asians" vs others in engineering they make up about 14% of the group, vs. 65% white.  I'd have to do some legwork to see if there are far more (and it in my mind would need to be like the 65% number) at Purdue.

So do Whites not get the plate he's talking about?  Do people that didn't go to purdue?  If you're talking about a licsense plate, why does someones' race come into it at all?

edit:  found diversity numbers for Purdue and they're below - they don't break them out by major.