Racism - It's a real thing.

49 minutes ago, teachercd said:

My grandma got reparations from the German government because the Nazis took her and locked her up in a work camp in Poland.  

If I was a black guy and the government was going to give me free money for something that happened to a relative of mine some 150 years ago...I would be happy to cash those checks. 

Well thats because most European govts actually somewhat give a s#!t about their citizens. 

• Thanks 1

European though - polish or some other country that was impacted by the camps during the war.  Poland, Russia, France and more lost as many to the holocaust as Germany.   She was not an American citizen locked up here by the nazis was she?

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

European though - polish or some other country that was impacted by the camps during the war.  Poland, Russia, France and more lost as many to the holocaust as Germany.   She was not an American citizen locked up here by the nazis was she?

Nope.

Later on she was an American citizen and learned English by watching Dallas...god did she hate JR Ewing!

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

When reading comment/reply sections like the one in this Twitter thread, I like to imagine the roles/races flipped, and how fast it'd make the Left's head explode.:lol:

Wat? Why would the Left care about interracial marriage?

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm referring to the blatant racism in the replies to that tweet, and the reaction if it were white people making those comments about a white dude marrying a black woman. I just found it comical.

What would the reaction be?

5 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Well thats because most European govts actually somewhat give a s#!t about their citizens. 

Also probably at least a little bit in part because she had a direct causal relationship to the government's oppression and misdeed.

Reparations for slavery seems like a nice soundbyte and/or red herring depending on which side most people fall on. What does that even mean? Is it to all black people? Does Oprah's white chauffeur get his paycheck taxed and re-given back to Oprah? What about mixed race? How mixed? Even recent African immigrants? Is it to all minorities? If Hispanics are involved, does a son of a Chile bank CEO get reparations? Is it only black people who can prove their lineage to slave labor? Is it money? Is it programs? Do we possibly trust the government to, even if they have best intentions, efficiently execute them in a way that actually works? Is there good data that reparations is even helpful? If it's paid to individuals as an income stream, does that dis-incentivize work? If it's paid as a lump sum, does that expose people (Americans in general are wildly financially illiterate and lacking any sophistication) to a lot of predatory business opportunities like subprime lending?

Congress passed a reparations act for Native Americans after WWII and it was lauded as being a groundbreaking development and that Congress had actually properly listened. But bureaucracy made it impossible to implement and the whole thing was made a total mess of. They also didn't give control over all the money directly to the recipients due to a fear of them not necessarily having the competency for dealing with an appropriate amount of money given back (which there is an argument for; how many lottery winners go bankrupt? It's like giving a 14 year old in Driver's Ed a Ferrari). 

North Carolina set aside 10mil for reparations to victims of a eugenics sterilizing program (victims were mostly poor, black and/or disabled), but so many conflicts over who was eligible and how it could be proven made it a clusterf#&%. 

We paid reparations to Japanese put in internment camps after WWII. That's the best example we have, where in '48 we paid out 37 million to 26,000 claimants, and then in '88 we paid out $20,000 each to every Japanese American that was put in internment. 

We've also had several reparation programs for African Americans over the last 50 years that have been helpful and harmful to varying degrees.

But those were all directly to direct victims. Not to an ambiguous history of descendents of something which legally ended several generations ago. I'm certainly open to legitimate plans of how/why details of a reparations bill, but I'm skeptical it's possible, practical, equitable or wise, and committing ourselves to a solution before we have any idea if it's workable or worthwhile is an irresponsible reaction to our racial dilemmas imo.

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Are you saying the American government doesn’t care about its citizens?

Some politicians I believe do care, but from my limited time following politics, it looks to me like the majority dont. Most only care if youre rich and you can donate large sums of money to their campaigns. I dont believe people like Mitch McConnell, Donald Trump, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Paul Ryan, etc. care about helping working class people, no. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Also probably at least a little bit in part because she had a direct causal relationship to the government's oppression and misdeed.

Reparations for slavery seems like a nice soundbyte and/or red herring depending on which side most people fall on. What does that even mean? Is it to all black people? Does Oprah's white chauffeur get his paycheck taxed and re-given back to Oprah? What about mixed race? How mixed? Even recent African immigrants? Is it to all minorities? If Hispanics are involved, does a son of a Chile bank CEO get reparations? Is it only black people who can prove their lineage to slave labor? Is it money? Is it programs? Do we possibly trust the government to, even if they have best intentions, efficiently execute them in a way that actually works? Is there good data that reparations is even helpful? If it's paid to individuals as an income stream, does that dis-incentivize work? If it's paid as a lump sum, does that expose people (Americans in general are wildly financially illiterate and lacking any sophistication) to a lot of predatory business opportunities like subprime lending?

Congress passed a reparations act for Native Americans after WWII and it was lauded as being a groundbreaking development and that Congress had actually properly listened. But bureaucracy made it impossible to implement and the whole thing was made a total mess of. They also didn't give control over all the money directly to the recipients due to a fear of them not necessarily having the competency for dealing with an appropriate amount of money given back (which there is an argument for; how many lottery winners go bankrupt? It's like giving a 14 year old in Driver's Ed a Ferrari). 

North Carolina set aside 10mil for reparations to victims of a eugenics sterilizing program (victims were mostly poor, black and/or disabled), but so many conflicts over who was eligible and how it could be proven made it a clusterf#&%. 

We paid reparations to Japanese put in internment camps after WWII. That's the best example we have, where in '48 we paid out 37 million to 26,000 claimants, and then in '88 we paid out $20,000 each to every Japanese American that was put in internment. 

We've also had several reparation programs for African Americans over the last 50 years that have been helpful and harmful to varying degrees.

But those were all directly to direct victims. Not to an ambiguous history of descendents of something which legally ended several generations ago. I'm certainly open to legitimate plans of how/why details of a reparations bill, but I'm skeptical it's possible, practical, equitable or wise, and committing ourselves to a solution before we have any idea if it's workable or worthwhile is an irresponsible reaction to our racial dilemmas imo.

Great post, Landlord.

8 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm referring to the blatant racism in the replies to that tweet, and the reaction if it were white people making those comments about a white dude marrying a black woman. I just found it comical.

What would the reaction be? I want to know specifics of what you think it would look like. If you eyerolled me to avoid discussion I don’t know why you made the post in the first place.