Racism - It's a real thing.

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

What would the reaction be? I want to know specifics of what you think it would look like. If you eyerolled me to avoid discussion I don’t know why you made the post in the first place.

I think you're mindful enough of how racism works (and "reverse" racism) to know exactly how it would be received, and look. The point of the post wasn't to explain to you what the obvious reaction would be if the tables were turned, but to point out another example of unchecked racism. Unchecked, because it's racism directed at white people.... And, I mainly thought the comments were funny.

16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:
I think you're mindful enough of how racism works (and "reverse" racism) to know exactly how it would be received, and look. The point of the post wasn't to explain to you what the obvious reaction would be if the tables were turned, but to point out another example of unchecked racism. Unchecked, because it's racism directed at white people.... And, I mainly thought the comments were funny.

I’m not mindful enough to read your mind and I’d appreciate specifics of what you think it would look like in this situation. I don’t know what you mean by the Left’s heads exploding becausw that could be interpreted a lot of different ways.

How would it look for the racism to be “checked” ?

2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Some politicians I believe do care, but from my limited time following politics, it looks to me like the majority dont. Most only care if youre rich and you can donate large sums of money to their campaigns. I dont believe people like Mitch McConnell, Donald Trump, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Paul Ryan, etc. care about helping working class people, no. 

I think you're naive if you think European governments aren't full of people who are out for themselves too.  

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think you're naive if you think European governments aren't full of people who are out for themselves too.  

I'm sure that's the case everywhere but maybe there (I don't know much about European politics) they have laws to keep more money out of politics and more checks on them.

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's why I said somewhat give a s#!t.  I think their tax dollars go more towards things that benefit them than ours do here.  My state/vehicle taxes go towards more that benefit me than my federal do.

9 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

When reading comment/reply sections like the one in this Twitter thread, I like to imagine the roles/races flipped, and how fast it'd make the Left's heads explode.:lol:

Is it racism though? So many white people want to cry that people are being racist to them, but is that really the case? I would argue prejudice and discrimination are not necissarily racism but a result of racism. Are the reponses here because they believe blacks are superior to whites? I don't think so, the issue is more complex than that. There is a fetishization of white women among black men and an outcasting of women of color and that is more than likely why people take issue with this. Not because they think white women are inferior to women of color.

Screenshot_20190620-084555_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

That's why I said somewhat give a s#!t.  I think their tax dollars go more towards things that benefit them than ours do here.  My state/vehicle taxes go towards more that benefit me than my federal do.

To a certain extent, it will always be that way no matter what.  The more local my tax dollars are, the more it relates to me.  But, that doesn't mean the money I send to the federal government doesn't benefit me or spent to help American citizens or do what the government needs to do to operate in our best interest.

LINK

In this article, there are a number of graphs that show where the federal money goes.  Now, I would be for tweaking these items here or there, but I fail to see where a large portion of the money goes that doesn't benefit it's citizens.

(Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post the graphs here)

I think the attitude you are saying is understandable.  But, it's been heavily reinforced by propaganda around campaigns.  After hearing it for decades, we just start believing it.

Finally we can finally get around to discussing the incredibly pressing problem of racism against white people. :facepalm:

As for the discussion of reparations: bear in mind, this was the first hearing the House has held on the matter in decades. And I'm absolutely fine with the idea of having a hearing because I'm willing to admit I have no idea whether they're a good idea or not and exploring the issue thoroughly is the responsible thing to do.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

To a certain extent, it will always be that way no matter what.  The more local my tax dollars are, the more it relates to me.  But, that doesn't mean the money I send to the federal government doesn't benefit me or spent to help American citizens or do what the government needs to do to operate in our best interest.

LINK

In this article, there are a number of graphs that show where the federal money goes.  Now, I would be for tweaking these items here or there, but I fail to see where a large portion of the money goes that doesn't benefit it's citizens.

(Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post the graphs here)

I think the attitude you are saying is understandable.  But, it's been heavily reinforced by propaganda around campaigns.  After hearing it for decades, we just start believing it.

I don't want to get off topic too much so this will probably be my last post about this certain topic.  I would like to see the blue for military shrink significantly.  I think we spend more on our military than the 10 next countries combined and most are our allies.  Id like to see education go up, environment go up, science go up.  And I think Ive made it clear about medicare for all also lol. I know that will probably wont happen, but Id feel better about paying federal taxes if that were the case.

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Is it racism though? So many white people want to cry that people are being racist to them, but is that really the case? I would argue prejudice and discrimination are not necissarily racism but a result of racism. Are the reponses here because they believe blacks are superior to whites? I don't think so, the issue is more complex than that. There is a fetishization of white women among black men and an outcasting of women of color and that is more than likely why people take issue with this. Not because they think white women are inferior to women of color.

Screenshot_20190620-084555_Chrome.jpg

I heard an excellent quote last week on Shades of America - (which I can’t plug enough btw ~ it should be required watching).

Prejudice is treating/viewing people differently.  Racism is prejudice + power.  Using power to effect how others live their lives (or something to that effect.)

For example, re: the AZ shoplifting thread that’s getting a lot of healthy discussion here ... the police thinking the black family might be shoplifters is prejudice and bias - them pulling guns and making arrests for a petty crime is racism.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wait a minute.....

They WERE shoplifters.  How is thinking someone is something they are prejudice and bias?

I completely agree how they handled it was racist.

I think she was just making an example. It would be prejudice for them to assume they were shoplifting because of the color of their skin with no other evidence.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

I obviously wasn’t clear enough - if a cop watches a black family go into a store assuming (or as I said above “thinking the black family might be shoplifters”) that’s prejudice/bias.   

Thanks for the clarification.  It gets confusing when you use an actual example of shoplifting to make this point.

I agree with your clarification.

• Fire 1
8 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Finally we can finally get around to discussing the incredibly pressing problem of racism against white people. :facepalm:

Relax.

I don't see anything wrong with calling out those who cry racism at every turn, when they are being racist (or prejudice) themselves. It's blatant hypocrisy. That's why I point it out. Not because racism against white people is a pressing issue.... But, I think you know that.

• Plus1 1