Racism - It's a real thing.

17 minutes ago, funhusker said:

You’re wrong!!! Maybe.... probably not, but probably...

It is simply an opinion. I understand the other side of it. They are fictional characters and people can adapt them however they want. I suppose after more thought it depends on the context.

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

Is it acceptable to hold the belief that even though an author pictured a “fictional” character one way, it is entirely reasonable for readers to imagine the same character differently?  And at the same time some readers claim one side or the other because they see themselves as “woke”?  

Interesting conversation because it could go on forever and nothing would come of it...

I assume you're not replying directly to me and are talking in general, but just to make it clear:

Yes it's fine. What I deem to not be fine is the fans of this series to call others ignorant or racist because they think the characters are white. Especially since they are white. The author complained about height and eye color and hair color on the book covers on multiple occasions but he was fine with his characters being whitewashed literally everywhere they were ever portrayed in official artwork including book covers? Occam's razor says hell no.

On the other hand it's okay to to be annoyed at anyone who's throwing a hissy fit at the actors not being white. Anyone making a huge deal out of it is potentially doing that for the wrong reasons.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I assume you're not replying directly to me and are talking in general, but just to make it clear:

Yes it's fine. What I deem to not be fine is the fans of this series to call others ignorant or racist because they think the characters are white. Especially since they are white. The author complained about height and eye color and hair color on the book covers on multiple occasions but he was fine with his characters being whitewashed literally everywhere they were ever portrayed? Occam's razor says hell no.

On the other hand it's okay to to be annoyed at anyone who's throwing a hissy fit at the actors not being white. Anyone making a huge deal out of it is potentially doing that for the wrong reasons.

I have no idea of what book you’re even talking about...but it’s pretty clear the author thought characters were white.  It’s also clear people who visualized those characters as anything other than white have the ability to do so.  They should also appreciate the visions of other readers without resorting to “racism”.  :dunno

23 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

That's your opinion. If the writer creates the character then they would be the ones to determine the race of the character they created ultimately. Maybe its the authors intention to leave it up to the readers imagination but in my opinion what the writer says about a character goes. Why wouldn't it, it's their character.

Of course it's my opinion, and your post is your opinion. What I'm saying/opining is that not all readers will get the same meaning from something they've read. You can argue that the writer specifically called out the race of a character, so a reader would misinterpret what the author wrote, that's a fine discussion to have. But in this case unless I am mistaken, the race of the character isn't specified, so the author left it up to the imagination of the reader whether he intended to or not.

5 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Of course it's my opinion, and your post is your opinion. What I'm saying/opining is that not all readers will get the same meaning from something they've read. You can argue that the writer specifically called out the race of a character, so a reader would misinterpret what the author wrote, that's a fine discussion to have. But in this case unless I am mistaken, the race of the character isn't specified, so the author left it up to the imagination of the reader whether he intended to or not.

I’ve changed my mind on one thing since I wrote the first post which is that it was “plainly obvious.” From interviews and official art it’s obvious, but it isn’t explicitly stated in the books, so I can understand why some people could interpret them as not being White.

I think the author described everyone else in detail and not them because he looks like them. So they are the default look and everyone else is compared to them. He describes other people with words like olive skin, copper skin, brown, black, more pale, etc.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, RedDenver said:

What I was saying was more along the lines of say the author in this case were to come out and say 'well the characters are caucasian because of their family lines, x, y and z." Then I would say it would be a bit silly to disagree with the author because they are the creator of the character. I did backtrack a bit though after thinking it over more. At the same time, this character has been created and is out there for anyone to adapt however their imagination sees fit.

17 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

What I was saying was more along the lines of say the author in this case were to come out and say 'well the characters are caucasian because of their family lines, x, y and z." Then I would say it would be a bit silly to disagree with the author because they are the creator of the character. I did backtrack a bit though after thinking it over more. At the same time, this character has been created and is out there for anyone to adapt however their imagination sees fit.

I see what you're saying, and if we're talking about what's canon in that universe, then I agree that we'd take the author's word for it.

What you wrote in the last sentence is what I was thinking and trying to say in my previous posts.

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I see what you're saying, and if we're talking about what's canon in that universe, then I agree that we'd take the author's word for it.

What you wrote in the last sentence is what I was thinking and trying to say in my previous posts.

Yea I was being narrow about it and limiting how I thought about it but after more consideration I agree with you. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, Mullen, NE.   Get your S together!

Deceit Wrapped In Kindness

Islamophobia is real in small town Nebraska.

On Monday, August 19th, 2019 I drove 343 miles for five hours to the small town of Mullen, located in the beautiful Sandhills of Nebraska, where there is one of the top golf courses in the entire world. The drive was peaceful and I was looking forward to speaking to the students and staff there. Two staff members from Mullen had seen me speak in March when I was the keynote speaker at a conference sponsored by the Nebraska Association of School Boards at Grand Island, Nebraska. They felt that my presentation about The Secret Kindness Agents was needed in their town. However, I was a little uneasy about this trip because I had seen two news stories about bigotry in this part of the state just that week. A racist sign in Ord, Nebraska read “Make America White Again” and a Custer County Supervisor said immigrants are not welcome here in Nebraska, including Muslims, whom he described as “them people with them towels over their head”, a reference to Somali refugees. As a brown Muslim immigrant, I didn’t exactly feel welcome in this part of the state.

• Thanks 2

it would appear I have met the required posting guidelines...or the restriction on post count has been lifted :thumbs

I was a bit confused by the author's statement that she was upset it was recommended she leave out any reference to LBGTQ since she is "openly queer" but then later makes reference (twice) to calling her husband...?

and teach has it right...this is probably not the entire populace of Mullen views...just a few outliers

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks! I contributed prior to the post count enforcement, but knew it would be a while until I was eligible again since I have visited daily since joining in 2012 but only recently reached 200 posts...

Glad to have you back then - look forward to learning more about you and your thoughts on things.