Racism - It's a real thing.

22 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

it would appear I have met the required posting guidelines...or the restriction on post count has been lifted :thumbs

I was a bit confused by the author's statement that she was upset it was recommended she leave out any reference to LBGTQ since she is "openly queer" but then later makes reference (twice) to calling her husband...?

and teach has it right...this is probably not the entire populace of Mullen views...just a few outliers

I never get tired of that :)

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I was a bit confused by the author's statement that she was upset it was recommended she leave out any reference to LBGTQ since she is "openly queer" but then later makes reference (twice) to calling her husband...?

Are we not men? 

Welcome, Devo. 

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

OK...I'm asking this honestly because I don't understand.  I don't understand how dressing up as a black person years ago ruins a career of someone today.  Pictures of him have come out dressed up as a black person.  Nothing is said as to how he acted or what he did while dressed up as a black person.  Just....that he was dressed up like a black person with black makeup on his face and hands.  

Now, in a non-argumentative way, could someone please tell me why this should ruin his career now or why it "reeks of privilege"?

Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...I'm asking this honestly because I don't understand.  I don't understand how dressing up as a black person years ago ruins a career of someone today.  Pictures of him have come out dressed up as a black person.  Nothing is said as to how he acted or what he did while dressed up as a black person.  Just....that he was dressed up like a black person with black makeup on his face and hands.  

Now, in a non-argumentative way, could someone please tell me why this should ruin his career now or why it "reeks of privilege"?

Thanks in advance.

A rise in victimhood culture leads to a rise in revenge culture.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Red Dead Redemption said:

A rise in victimhood culture leads to a rise in revenge culture.

Naaa....that's the lazy comment.

People who claim what you just said scream victimhood just as much.

I fully understand a lot of the subtle racism that people talk about and am sensitive to it.

But....this just doesn't make sense to me.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks in advance.

I mean blackface definitely ain't ok thats for 1. Trudeau himself referred to himself at that time as having a massive blind spot due to priviledge. He had no idea what he was doing was harmful with no consequence, and that is what is priviledged about it. Now all of that said, I think the idea of cancel culture is kinda stupid. Ultimately, you can sift through any persons life and find something screwed up they have done in the past. These things don't and shouldn't define people. If they exhibit a pattern of behavior, that is a different story. But as far as this goes, I'm sure Trudeau has learned better since then. Thats all you can ask of a person who has made a mistake is acknowledgement of wrongdoing and learning to do better. 

On top of that reasoning cancel culture is dumb, there is the fact that it doesn't work. People out there who should be 'cancelled' due to a pattern of behavior still have major support. A group of people being upset at someone doesn't automatically turn everyone against that person. If people like Chris Brown still have a massive following, cancel culture doesn't really exist.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It shouldn't ruin his career. But how he responds is important. I think the appropriate response for someone in that position today is to legitimately recognize that he did something stupid yesterday, in a time where a lot of people didn't understand how stupid it was. Just because it may have been more socially acceptable then doesn't make it okay, but society has evolved. We are more enlightened now and need to do better about recognizing our blind spots and confronting bias. ...something like that.

The privilege that they are talking about is the ignorance of why blackface and those kinds of caricatures can be offensive, because perhaps we have never been forced to face those issues. Ignorance and privilege often go hand in hand. When I was in my early 20s, as a white middle class male, I'm sure I did and said all sorts of insensitive and offensive things, because of my own ego-centrism, because I didn't really understand the world outside of my own upbringing, etc. I bet most of us can say the same thing. 

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Naaa....that's the lazy comment.

People who claim what you just said scream victimhood just as much.

I fully understand a lot of the subtle racism that people talk about and am sensitive to it.

But....this just doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't make sense to anyone (I don't think)

About 15 years ago some of my friends went out for Halloween and dressed up as the 84 Celtics (I think it was the 84 team) so they had the real uniforms and all that stuff...they dressed up as the starting 5.  I think two of the starters were black, I can't remember.  But to try and find something racist about that is crazy.  By the way, that night they got a ton of compliments on the group costume.  

I think I dressed up as a peeping Tom that night...

2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

It shouldn't ruin his career. But how he responds is important. I think the appropriate response for someone in that position today is to legitimately recognize that he did something stupid yesterday, in a time where a lot of people didn't understand how stupid it was. Just because it may have been more socially acceptable then doesn't make it okay, but society has evolved. We are more enlightened now and need to do better about recognizing our blind spots and confronting bias. ...something like that.

The privilege that they are talking about is the ignorance of why blackface and those kinds of caricatures can be offensive, because perhaps we have never been forced to face those issues. Ignorance and privilege often go hand in hand. When I was in my early 20s, as a white middle class male, I'm sure I did and said all sorts of insensitive and offensive things, because of my own ego-centrism, because I didn't really understand the world outside of my own upbringing, etc. I bet most of us can say the same thing. 

OK....but, that's what I'm asking.  Why is simply me putting on black make up so offensive?  I'm assuming it's because black people have been discriminated against and I (as a white male) have no clue what that means.

Well....so have women.  I have a couple times dressed up like a woman on halloween.  Is that the same thing?  If not...why not?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I mean blackface definitely ain't ok thats for 1. Trudeau himself referred to himself at that time as having a massive blind spot due to priviledge. He had no idea what he was doing was harmful with no consequence, and that is what is priviledged about it. Now all of that said, I think the idea of cancel culture is kinda stupid. Ultimately, you can sift through any persons life and find something screwed up they have done in the past. These things don't and shouldn't define people. If they exhibit a pattern of behavior, that is a different story. But as far as this goes, I'm sure Trudeau has learned better since then. Thats all you can ask of a person who has made a mistake is acknowledgement of wrongdoing and learning to do better. 

On top of that reasoning cancel culture is dumb, there is the fact that it doesn't work. People out there who should be 'cancelled' due to a pattern of behavior still have major support. A group of people being upset at someone doesn't automatically turn everyone against that person. If people like Chris Brown still have a massive following, cancel culture doesn't really exist.

This is a pretty decent answer.  

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

OK....but, that's what I'm asking.  Why is simply me putting on black make up so offensive?  I'm assuming it's because black people have been discriminated against and I (as a white male) have no clue what that means.

Well....so have women.  I have a couple times dressed up like a woman on halloween.  Is that the same thing?  If not...why not?

I was going to use that female example as well.  

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It doesn't make sense to anyone (I don't think)

About 15 years ago some of my friends went out for Halloween and dressed up as the 84 Celtics (I think it was the 84 team) so they had the real uniforms and all that stuff...they dressed up as the starting 5.  I think two of the starters were black, I can't remember.  But to try and find something racist about that is crazy.  By the way, that night they got a ton of compliments on the group costume.  

I think I dressed up as a peeping Tom that night...

OK...that's a good example.  If a white person wants to dress up as a black character, why is that offensive?  

Let's say I want to dress up as Sammy Davis Jr.  why is it offensive if I put on black makeup to make the character look better?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1