Racism - It's a real thing.

16 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Can someone tell me if these is EITHER the circle game OR a white power hate symbol? I mean, none of them are below the waist. There is no waist. So it can't be the circle game, right? I don't see anybody being punched; they fooled me into looking at them but how are they supposed to punch me, a stranger on the internet? But it has to be either this or white power, so it must be racism? 

It's pretty clear that it doesn't have to be literally playing the game within the actual literal rules for people fooling and joking around to be inspired/informed by this as it's own sort of cultural meme.

Context matters.  The co-opting of this gesture as a hate symbol is a fairly recent development. I don't know when all of these memes and pictures were created, but if they were done after it became widely known that the finger circle could be used as a statement of hate instead of (or in addition to) an innocent game, then they would certainly be less amusing. Things change and sometimes take an unfortunate turn.

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Immature, sure. College kids generally are fairly immature. Jackholes? idk why they're jackholes, did they do something particularly mean spirited or inconsiderate or rude to somebody? 

Jackholes, idiots, dorks...whatever you want to use. Throwing hand signs on TV behind a reporter without understanding the ramifications is pretty rude and inconsiderate, yes.

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

You know hate groups use the f word? You feel comfortable using that word knowing that it's sometimes used by hate groups? If so, and you did it anyway, BUZZ OFF. 

The F word is universally used to convey a variety of expressions. If the word was hijacked to have a racist meaning, I would stop using it. Language evolves, and so do symbols. I don't use "f@g" to describe cigarettes, I don't call black men "boy" or "negro," and I no longer use the little finger circle that some of you seem irrationally loyal to. Why? Because the meaning of these once innocuous words and symbols, especially in a certain context, have changed over time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ulty said:

The F word is universally used to convey a variety of expressions. If the word was hijacked to have a racist meaning, I would stop using it. Language evolves, and so do symbols. I don't use "f@g" to describe cigarettes, I don't call black men "boy" or "negro," and I no longer use the little finger circle that some of you seem irrationally loyal to. Why? Because the meaning of these once innocuous words and symbols, especially in a certain context, have changed over time. 

This is a very good response that correctly explains the further nuance behind what you said that was missing before. Good point. 

Although I will not cede ground on something that is still overwhelmingly innocuous and silly to the online woke overreactionary cultural zeitgeist which has a habit of giving undue power and legitimacy to things that none belongs to, in the name of defending those who didn't really ask for it. 

• Plus1 3

isn't this nice

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/12/gop-senate-quietly-removes-white-nationalism-from-new-requirements-to-screen-military-enlistees/

the Senate-passed version of the National Defense Authorization Act — the annual spending bill to fund the military and national security services — quietly gutted a House-passed amendment that would have encouraged officials to screen prospective military enlistees for white nationalist ideology.

The amendment, authored by Rep. Pete Aguilar (D-CA) has been rewritten to direct the Department of Defense to explore how to screen recruits for “extremist and gang-related activity” — with the words “white nationalism” cut altogether.