Racism - It's a real thing.

16 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I've never had ANY training that's told me that you EVER put your knee on someone's neck! In fact we're told to avoid the head and neck except in deadly force situations so they're avoided at all cost! And once you get someone in handcuffs and the fight is over, you roll them on their side and sit them up to avoid causing any cardiac issues or excited delirium........ I'm appalled and disgusted by this officer's actions and the officers that stood by and just let this happen! I would've pushed that officer off of him had I been there! I'm furious over this so I've waited to comment most of the day because of it. Completely senseless......

I was kind of wondering about this so thanks for posting. I mean I was like 99% sure there can't possibly be training that says to do this but it's the 2nd time we've seen something similar reported on. Although with the bigger guy who died he wasn't on his neck. (He was however saying he can't breathe).

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I've never had ANY training that's told me that you EVER put your knee on someone's neck! In fact we're told to avoid the head and neck except in deadly force situations so they're avoided at all cost! And once you get someone in handcuffs and the fight is over, you roll them on their side and sit them up to avoid causing any cardiac issues or excited delirium........ I'm appalled and disgusted by this officer's actions and the officers that stood by and just let this happen! I would've pushed that officer off of him had I been there! I'm furious over this so I've waited to comment most of the day because of it. Completely senseless......

I wondered. My GF and I talked about it yesterday. I've got no training as an officer but knowing basic anatomy there's so many vital structures in the neck that it seems like a horrible idea to bear any weight through the neck. If an officer really needed to restrain someone that was resisting wouldn't a knee to the upper back or near the shoulder blades be much more effective?

Obviously in this case it's neither here nor there because the guy was already cuffed and not resisting at all but crying out for help.

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

I wondered. My GF and I talked about it yesterday. I've got no training as an officer but knowing basic anatomy there's so many vital structures in the neck that it seems like a horrible idea to bear any weight through the neck. If an officer really needed to restrain someone that was resisting wouldn't a knee to the upper back or near the shoulder blades be much more effective?

Obviously in this case it's neither here nor there because the guy was already cuffed and not resisting at all but crying out for help.

If a knee is used on the back anywhere you just have to be cognizant on how long you're doing that. I'm 5'8" and I weigh 215 lbs and I've fought with SEVERAL people throughout my career. I've NEVER been on anyone's back for longer than 10 to 15 seconds. 99.9% people stop fighting once the cuffs are on.  I can't imagine taking all 215 lbs of me and putting it on the back of someone's neck for 10 minutes! Horrible...

• Thanks 6

I think this is probably my favorite way I've seen someone explain why "All Lives Matter" as a retort to "Black Lives Matter" is stupid.

That’s like a house being on fire, and instead of trying to save it, you’re standing in the street yelling “All houses matter!” Yeah, you sound like a moron

I wouldn't say it's a perfect analogy, but it's more simple than a perfect one and highlights the stupidity.

I think a more accurate analogy would be that there's a row of rental properties and one of them keeps getting more and more derelict as the landlord neglects it. The family who lives in the derelict house brings it to the attention of the landlord that the house needs maintenance, and the landlord replies "You're being selfish. All of the houses need maintenance."

To go further with it, the landlord and some of the other tenants go on to say that the family living in the derelict house is just as capable as anyone else of doing all the work themselves and shouldn't rely on the landlord to do anything.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think this is probably my favorite way I've seen someone explain why "All Lives Matter" as a retort to "Black Lives Matter" is stupid.

I wouldn't say it's a perfect analogy, but it's more simple than a perfect one and highlights the stupidity.

I think a more accurate analogy would be that there's a row of rental properties and one of them keeps getting more and more derelict as the landlord neglects it. The family who lives in the derelict house brings it to the attention of the landlord that the house needs maintenance, and the landlord replies "You're being selfish. All of the houses need maintenance."

Pretty sure board rules prohibit calling out other posters.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

What are your thoughts?

I'd agree with him.  Proud racists are idiots and have no real power in the world outside of a few exceptions.   

I'm not sure if openly racist people are better than secretly racist people who profess to not be racists. But I agree with his more general point that proclaiming to be liberal isn't a guarantee someone isn't racist.

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure if openly racist people are better than secretly racist people who profess to not be racists. But I agree with his more general point that proclaiming to be liberal isn't a guarantee someone isn't racist.

Living in West Omaha, I'd agree.  

White flight is real.  We talk a good game out here, but I've seen the neighbors react to the kids from North O trying to sell their candy bars. The kids even know it!  They are flabbergasted when  I cut them off of the script, they just seem to expect to go through the motions and get their "guilt cash".