Racism - It's a real thing.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand this and I'm sure there was some racial stereotyping when making this marketing choice.

However, I always just looked at it as a woman who seemed like a loving and caring person who could make great pancakes with her syrup.  I honestly never really thought about her being black.

Anecdotally about Aunt Jemima: I once conducted a workplace investigation triggered in part by a white employee calling a black employee "Aunt Jemima." Everyone I met with during the investigation, white or black, understood that calling someone that name was a reference to a racial stereotype and that it was inappropriate, although not everyone knew the history. But it is an example of something that may not be obviously offensive to everyone, but can be used in such a way that it is.

That investigation uncovered several employees, including managers, who had used various subtle forms of racism often enough in the workplace that it began to create a hostile environment for the black workers. People ended up getting disciplined and even fired, and rightfully so.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ulty said:

Anecdotally about Aunt Jemima: I once conducted a workplace investigation triggered in part by a white employee calling a black employee "Aunt Jemima." Everyone I met with during the investigation, white or black, understood that calling someone that name was a reference to a racial stereotype and that it was inappropriate, although not everyone knew the history. But it is an example of something that may not be obviously offensive to everyone, but can be used in such a way that it is.

That investigation uncovered several employees, including managers, who had used various subtle forms of racism often enough in the workplace that it began to create a hostile environment for the black workers. People ended up getting disciplined and even fired, and rightfully so.

Oh...I've heard the "aunt Jamima" comment before and that's racist.  But, I'm just saying that I've never had even a feeling of racism by the name or logo.  But, that's just my opinion and how I've felt about the product.

1 hour ago, GSG said:

My favorite place for breakfast when in Omaha. 

I heard it was the owners son. I also read that cops had to come help employees through the raucous protesters outside on Sunday. 

All because of a long time menu item named after Robert E Lee I understand...

4 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Are you black? (serious question...not trying to be confrontational)

No....and I’m sure the next comment will be....then how do you know if it’s racist?

i can’t. I’m just saying that I’ve only viewed aunt Jamima as a warm loving person that makes pancakes. Not...that black lady that serves me pancakes. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

That's too bad. 

I mean I agree, it's not your call but society is calling it and you should at least be able to see why it's being called out (and be able to disagree or agree).

Saying you see no racism in a racist thing is whitewashing an issue...which is part of the overall problem of systemic racism.  I encourage you to watch the video I posted earlier in the thread which discusses this thing.  If you watch, please pay specific attention to the portion of the video in which they discuss the phrase "I don't see color when I look at you"...which illustrates white washing an issue from the perspective of a non-black person.  Perhaps then you can then be in a position to state, "I see the racism in this racist thing even though I have no perspective of it and think only of pancakes when I see it".  If not, once again...it's really too bad that you can't see the racism in a racist thing :(

I apologize.  I'm not really in the mood today to argue.  When I say "no", I'm talking about the advertising and product I grew up with.  I have no doubt there were racist issues around the advertising campaign and I can see why a black person might think it's racist.

So, I'll just leave it at that and have a nice day.

PS....my mood isn't because of this, so please don't take it that way.