Racism - It's a real thing.

Woops.

"The FBI learned that garage number 4, where the noose was found, was assigned to Bubba Wallace last week," the agency said in a statement Tuesday. "The investigation also revealed evidence, including authentic video confirmed by NASCAR, that the noose found in garage number 4 was in that garage as early as October 2019. Although the noose is now known to have been in garage number 4 in 2019, nobody could have known Mr. Wallace would be assigned to garage number 4 last week."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/us/nascar-noose-not-hate-crime-bubba-wallace/index.html

• Thanks 1

I see people all over blaming the media, but this is on Nascar. Nascar reported to ESPN among others that a noose was found in Bubba's garage and they were investigating. Of course that story is going to get coverage. Maybe next time Nascar should make sure its a garage rope before going public with it. But alas, that won't stop people from screaming at the media for reporting what they were told. 

• Plus1 4

This is a still that shows the door pull in 2019. Whoever used this looped, wound rope as a door pull did it a long time ago, and couldn't have known Wallace was going to be assigned that garage this year.

umX3X4w.jpg

So this clearly wasn't directed at Wallace, and while it is noose-like, it's not necessarily a noose. I've seen garage door pulls tied up like this since I was a kid. Just easier to grab on to.

So, the moving scene of every driver & crew pushing Wallace's car was done for a mistaken reason, but was still a very good thing.

I'm on board with doing good things accidentally. The world could use more of that.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Bubba still letting everyone know that it was a noose and that it was/is racist.  He is clearly pissed and I don't blame him.

Yeah, even if the incident was unintentional or misunderstood or there was no incident at all, it still opened up a wound. It is a wound that is very much real.

It is not so much about a piece of rope or any single incident but about the big picture of racism, especially being the only black man in a sport that has embraced the confederate flag until now. I hope all of the other drivers and fans who stood in support when the noose incident came out can double down on their support now. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2