Racism - It's a real thing.

Just now, Moiraine said:

Why don't you share your logic.

New York was named after the Duke of York. 

The Duke of York was the leader of the RAC (Royal African Company)

The RAC was an english mercantile company that shipped more african slaves to the americas than any other institution in the history of the atlantic slave trade.

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The RAC was an english mercantile company that shipped more african slaves to the americas than any other institution in the history of the atlantic slave trade.

Gotcha.

But I don't think it's the same thing. It wasn't named after him because of the slave trade, it was named after him because New York was part of Great Britain and people named cities after kings and queens back then, and New York City doesn't have a Black slave as a mascot.

I would also argue that having a city name like Omaha is not close to the same thing as having a team name like Redskins.

8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Was the Duke of York's name...York? Or New, the Duke of York?

nvm I just looked it up - the Duke of York's name was James Stuart. So how is New York named after him? :lol:

17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Gotcha.

But I don't think it's the same thing. It wasn't named after him because of the slave trade, it was named after him because New York was part of Great Britain and people named cities after kings and queens back then, and New York City doesn't have a Black slave as a mascot.

I would also argue that having a city name like Omaha is not close to the same thing as having a team name like Redskins.

I thought the idea was to remove all things that have ties to racism? Isnt having your countries largest city named after a slave trade leader a bad thing? All other statues and things that pay tribute to racists of the past are called to be removed. 

Ironically enough the NY times is calling for a street named after robert e lee to be renamed because it is named after a man who stood for racism. 

The entire state and city is named after a man who stood for racism. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Was the Duke of York's name...York? Or New, the Duke of York?

nvm I just looked it up - the Duke of York's name was James Stuart. So how is New York named after him? :lol:

It was named in honor of the Duke of York...a slave trader...they were honoring him and his work.

It would be like naming a city KKK...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

29 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I thought the idea was to remove all things that have ties to racism? Isnt having your countries largest city named after a slave trade leader a bad thing? All other statues and things that pay tribute to racists of the past are called to be removed. 

Ironically enough the NY times is calling for a street named after robert e lee to be renamed because it is named after a man who stood for racism. 

Cancel Culturists have not jumped on this one yet...

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

There's more nuance to it than that. And it's false that all statues of anyone associated with any kind of racism are "called to be removed" by more than a tiny minority. You shouldn't be applying the views of a small minority to a large group of people. 

Just now, Moiraine said:

There's more nuance to it than that. And it's false that all statues of anyone associated with any kind of racism are "called to be removed" by more than a tiny minority. You shouldn't be applying the views of a small minority to a large group of people. 

It is not really...it was named in honor of a slave trader.  CANCEL 

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Nuances?? Small minority applying their will on a large group of people?? Man, I have heard that somewhere before... :ph34r:

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Nuances?? Small minority applying their will on a large group of people?? Man, I have heard that somewhere before... :ph34r:

Nuance, as in almost no one is calling for a bunch of s#!t to be torn down because there are differences between the things being mentioned. There is a huge difference between Robert E. Lee and George Washington, and between the Redskins name and Omaha.

There may be a few crazies who want something to done to literally everything, and then these ideas are blown up by Fox News as representing the entire Left.

11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Nuance, as in almost no one is calling for a bunch of s#!t to be torn down because there are differences between the things between mentioned. There is a huge difference between Robert E. Lee and George Washington, and between the Redskins name and Omaha.

There may be a few crazies who want something to done to literally everything, and then these ideas are blown up by Fox News as representing the entire Left.

You are right… It’s a bunch of crazies not a huge amount but enough.  It is comical for the most part.  And I don’t care if they change the name… Since I already had to memorize all 50 states it’s not going to impact me. I already passed that test

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Nuance, as in almost no one is calling for a bunch of s#!t to be torn down because there are differences between the things between mentioned. There is a huge difference between Robert E. Lee and George Washington, and between the Redskins name and Omaha.

Sorry Moiraine, I was mostly being facetious and/or sarcastic. I had hoped the ninja would tip it off...

You and I are (usually) on the same page. 

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

I guess you can make an argument, and you could apply that argument to the first 250 years of America, but then the question is this:

Is having a different/additional national anthem a gross and profane example of a race of people having something forced on them and shoved down their throat?

I wasn't specifically talking about the national anthem.  I was talking about the wording in your post.  If I didn't know you were talking about this subject, I could have taken it as justification for white supremacy.  

"I should be able to just be with my white friends and not have that black crap forced live in my neighborhood."

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I thought the idea was to remove all things that have ties to racism?

Do you actually think that's the idea? Because that would include the United States of America as well.

Do you think liberals want to disband the actual country itself, or do you think it's a little bit more complicated than that?

• Plus1 1