Racism - It's a real thing.

Thought this could go here instead under the courts -  as it involves race relationships - in this case with Native Americans

Living in the Tulsa area, this is very much an interesting court case decided by the Supreme court.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/09/889562040/supreme-court-rules-that-about-half-of-oklahoma-is-indian-land

The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that about half of the land in Oklahoma is within a Native American reservation, a decision that will have major consequences for both past and future criminal and civil cases.

The court's decision hinged on the question of whether the Creek reservation continued to exist after Oklahoma became a state.

"Today we are asked whether the land these treaties promised remains an Indian reservation for purposes of fed­eral criminal law. Because Congress has not said otherwise, we hold the government to its word," Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote in the majority opinion.

The decision was 5-4, with Justices Gorsuch, Sonia Sotomayor, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan and Stephen Breyer in the majority, while Justices John Roberts, Brett Kavanaugh, Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas dissented.

The ruling will have significant legal implications for eastern Oklahoma. Much of Tulsa, the state's second-largest city, is located on Muscogee (Creek) land. The Muscogee (Creek) Nation cheered the court's decision.

"The Supreme Court today kept the United States' sacred promise to the Muscogee (Creek) Nation of a protected reservation," the tribe said in a statement. "Today's decision will allow the Nation to honor our ancestors by maintaining our established sovereignty and territorial boundaries."

In a dissenting opinion, Roberts, the chief justice, wrote that the decision "will undermine numerous convictions obtained by the State, as well as the State's abil­ity to prosecute serious crimes committed in the future," and "may destabilize the governance of vast swathes of Oklahoma."

Kevin Washburn is dean of the law school at the University of Iowa, where he teaches a course on federal Indian law — "It's basically 15 weeks of how the law in the United States has failed my people," he said.

He served as assistant secretary of Indian affairs from 2012 to 2016, and he's a citizen of the Chickasaw Nation of Oklahoma. He called the court's ruling "a great decision."

"For Indian people, their land is really important, and treaties are really important. They're sacred. And this reaffirms the sacredness of those promises and those treaties."

"Now and then there's a great case that helps you keep the faith about the rule of law," he said. "And this is one of those."

The ruling has a number of significant consequences for criminal law in the relevant portion of Oklahoma.

The first is that going forward, certain major crimes committed within the boundaries of reservations must be prosecuted in federal court rather than state court, if a Native American is involved. So if a Native American is accused of a major crime in downtown Tulsa, the federal government rather than the state government will prosecute it. Less serious crimes involving Native Americans on American Indian land will be handled in tribal courts. This arrangement is already common in Western states like Arizona, New Mexico and Montana, said Washburn.

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Did you read this?  I love how there are like 5 paragraphs about little things that tipped off people who the real poster was...then they write "Oh yeah, there was also 3 pictures of Neff that he posted" . Hahaha

They probably could have just started with the part about the selfies that he posted.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Did you read this?  I love how there are like 5 paragraphs about little things that tipped off people who the real poster was...then they write "Oh yeah, there was also 3 pictures of Neff that he posted" . Hahaha

They probably could have just started with the part about the selfies that he posted.

I just read far enough to see the quotes of what he posted. 

26 simple charts to show friends and family who aren't convinced racism is still a problem in America

It's called "systemic" racism because it's ingrained in nearly every way people move through society in the policies and practices at institutions like banks, schools, companies, government agencies, and law enforcement.

The resulting data show that these disparities exist along nearly every facet of American life, including employment, wealth, education, home ownership, healthcare, and incarceration.

5edeaba5988ee33ad45c3a65?width=700&forma

5f05fc4719182444ab775784?width=700&forma

5ee24e324dca681b276a4247?width=700&forma

5edeabd25af6cc12cb1b9635?width=700&forma

5edfc1ac19182479f7196888?width=700&forma

5ede559c3f7370796c0ffed6?width=700&forma

5edeacb72618b925567cbc87?width=700&forma

5ee0e90af34d05483939f3b6?width=700&forma

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

This is disgusting.  Period.  As an atheist...I don't have to worry about being judged by some sky daddy...and thus, I would like this human being to cease to exist in the most expedited fashion one can come up with...murder included (not by me...but I wouldn't cry if it happened).

Another example of lefties being too emotional. That’s a crazy statement 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1