Racism - It's a real thing.

On 8/19/2018 at 12:30 PM, NM11046 said:

So, there's a strong, female, black, democratic candidate running for governor in GA ... think this is at all connected?   The county is 60% african americans and they're planning to close 7/9 polling sites.  Supposedly "access" is an issue.  (btw they were used just a month ago when the R's were running in primaries)

I think it's entirely plausible.

What's worse is the Republican nominee is the Georgia SOS who is entrusted with overseeing elections in the state.

How is it these voting shenanigans ALWAYS manage to crop up when Republicans have an election coming up (Or, as in 2010, after they had a big bounce back into power after getting their brakes beaten off in the previous election)? Is it REALLY a coincidence? Or is it plain as day they're rigging the system?

Kemp also canceled or suspended 35,000 voter registrations using Exact Match, a version of Kris Kobach’s notorious Crosscheck program that compares registrants’ information with motor vehicle and Social Security databases. If a single letter, space, or hyphen did not match the database information, the voter application was rejected. Black voters were eight times more likely than whites to have their registrations halted due to Exact Match.

Perhaps most egregiously, Kemp launched an investigation into Abrams’ efforts to register more minority voters despite no evidence of fraud. He used the probe to harass and intimidate voting rights advocates. Later, he refused to register 40,000 would-be voters who had signed up through the drive. 

Speaking to Republicans behind closed doors, Kemp explained the stakes: “Registering all these minority voters that are out there … if they can do that, they can win these elections.” 

I mean come on.

• Plus1 2

On 8/19/2018 at 11:12 AM, Nebfanatic said:

Not quite sure if this is where this goes, but pretty funny. Wasn't embedding properly 

Not that I disagree that there is probably inherent racism in the name redskins, but I have a hard time believing all these interactions without video proof. People are always jockeying for their 15 minutes of fame and hoping to go viral. Sure, he makes a good point, but  I find NYC to be a very progressive city and it seems unlikely that this events actually occurred, well maybe the redskins vs giants interaction.

14 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Not that I disagree that there is probably inherent racism in the name redskins, but I have a hard time believing all these interactions without video proof. People are always jockeying for their 15 minutes of fame and hoping to go viral. Sure, he makes a good point, but  I find NYC to be a very progressive city and it seems unlikely that this events actually occurred, well maybe the redskins vs giants interaction.

There are also 8 million people there so I doubt they are all progressive. I find it unlikely he would lie just to get an interview with an internet news outlet. I also find it unlikely the news outlet would put something out there that is made up. But no, white people would never act like that! Amiright??

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

There are also 8 million people there so I doubt they are all progressive. I find it unlikely he would lie just to get an interview with an internet news outlet. I also find it unlikely the news outlet would put something out there that is made up. But no, white people would never act like that! Amiright??

With respect to the bold, this happens more frequently than you'd like to believe. 

I'm not saying that some white people wouldn't act like that, it is too much to ask for people to think critically and realize that not everyone has the same views.

16 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

With respect to the bold, this happens more frequently than you'd like to believe. 

I'm not saying that some white people wouldn't act like that, it is too much to ask for people to think critically and realize that not everyone has the same views.

It happens all of the time, but those are typically easy to spot. I think critcally all of the time, and in doing that, this story checks out. Is it too much to ask not to dismiss every person of color demonstrating the problems out there as liars and looking for their 15 minutes?

13 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

. Is it too much to ask not to dismiss every person of color demonstrating the problems out there as liars and looking for their 15 minutes?

I need to clarify my last few posts. I don't think every person of color is looking for their 15 minutes of fame. Nor am I dismissing that racism exists. 

What I was saying is that I think the public, in general, looks for their 15 minutes of fame. People are so enamored with getting likes or going viral  that they'll pretty much do anything. How you do that is by eliciting an emotional response and taking advantage of human psychology; it is the reason Facebook, Instagram, and twitter are so wildly successful.

I don't agree that made-up instances are typically easy to spot. I think most people see racism as a very real topic, which it is, and are considerate of walking a fine line between calling someone a liar with the risk of being called a racist and, unfortunately, some will prey on this to take advantage of the situation. I can think of three examples in which the general public was  up in arms prior to knowing the fully story.

https://cw33.com/2016/04/18/gay-pastor-horrified-to-find-ugly-slur-on-whole-foods-cake-lawsuit/

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/19/diner-left-note-to-waiter-saying-we-dont-tip-terrorists-7734597/

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/dorothy-bland-texas-police-stop-walking-while-6612638.php

As you said, you can think critically all the time and my original comment wasn't directed towards you, but more so towards the New Yorkers' who allegedly confronted the man. Let him live his life and have varying views. However, when I watch the video and think critically about the situation a couple things stand out.

First, for someone who posted the picture of himself on Instagram wearing the shirt, I found it strange that there was no recording of the various interactions. Again, in today's society most people are recording something with their phones when s#!t is about to hit the fan. I also feel that the video would serve as actual verification and greater support of the argument that he makes later in the video, which I believe has a lot of merit to me. Secondarily, he is wearing noise cancelling headphones and I find it strange that he would be able to hear or even notice others' responses across the street in a densely traveled city.  Not sure if you've ever been to NYC, but it is hard to even notice what is going on three feet in front of you, let alone across the city block. 

Finally, I don't discredit the message the individual is making in the remaining 5 minutes of the video, and I do believe this country still has a long way to go, but the interactions in the first part seem very generic and just don't pass my personal sniff test. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I need to clarify my last few posts. I don't think every person of color is looking for their 15 minutes of fame. Nor am I dismissing that racism exists. 

What I was saying is that I think the public, in general, looks for their 15 minutes of fame. People are so enamored with getting likes or going viral  that they'll pretty much do anything. How you do that is by eliciting an emotional response and taking advantage of human psychology; it is the reason Facebook, Instagram, and twitter are so wildly successful.

I don't agree that made-up instances are typically easy to spot. I think most people see racism as a very real topic, which it is, and are considerate of walking a fine line between calling someone a liar with the risk of being called a racist and, unfortunately, some will prey on this to take advantage of the situation. I can think of three examples in which the general public was  up in arms prior to knowing the fully story.

https://cw33.com/2016/04/18/gay-pastor-horrified-to-find-ugly-slur-on-whole-foods-cake-lawsuit/

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/19/diner-left-note-to-waiter-saying-we-dont-tip-terrorists-7734597/

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/dorothy-bland-texas-police-stop-walking-while-6612638.php

As you said, you can think critically all the time and my original comment wasn't directed towards you, but more so towards the New Yorkers' who allegedly confronted the man. Let him live his life and have varying views. However, when I watch the video and think critically about the situation a couple things stand out.

First, for someone who posted the picture of himself on Instagram wearing the shirt, I found it strange that there was no recording of the various interactions. Again, in today's society most people are recording something with their phones when s#!t is about to hit the fan. I also feel that the video would serve as actual verification and greater support of the argument that he makes later in the video, which I believe has a lot of merit to me. Secondarily, he is wearing noise cancelling headphones and I find it strange that he would be able to hear or even notice others' responses across the street in a densely traveled city.  Not sure if you've ever been to NYC, but it is hard to even notice what is going on three feet in front of you, let alone across the city block. 

Finally, I don't discredit the message the individual is making in the remaining 5 minutes of the video, and I do believe this country still has a long way to go, but the interactions in the first part seem very generic and just don't pass my personal sniff test. 

Fair enough. I went to Fredricks page and he did pass my personal sniff test as did his posts concerning the incident. I can see how it could seem fake from just watching the video though. You do make a point and I was a bit dismissive in saying fake stories are easy to spot. Alot of times as you said something can even be partially factual and still be a completely false portrayal of what happened. Good post

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

17 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Unsure whether to post this in the Racism thread or the Gun Control thread... 

I'm not sure how high talking about guns is really the priority anymore for the brain trust over at NRATV, though.

That is just weird.  What the hell does it matter to her or anyone else if the show wants to have girl trains and one from Kenya?  Did that somehow ruin her day?  Did it maker her feel less adequate as a human being?

And....what the hell does this have to do with the NRA?

PS.....I know the answers.

• Plus1 2