Racism - It's a real thing.

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Like...I really don't know what that is, I know nothing about guns.  Do they mean a rifle?  

Once again, I am not funny and nor was I trying to be funny.  

Look it up on the internet. You can say 'her dur i really don't know if its a long gun or a gun thats long' all you want but that doesnt mean anyone here will believe you weren't being facetious. Its kinda what you do like all the time 

• Plus1 2

Specific clips that are bothering me right now:

I sure would like to know what dumbass was filming this. Using language like "defend the property" after they've just admitted to you they're packing live ammunition is incredibly irresponsible. It couches whatever potentially happens next as heroic and morally correct. They primed him like a powder keg and no one should be shocked he went boom.

Speaks for itself. This is an incredibly tortured way to describe the sequence of events. I get that it's probably an attempt at being as neutral-sounding as possible, but do we really think a black man who had done the same thing would receive the same verbiage?

Popehat said it better:

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Specific clips that are bothering me right now:

I sure would like to know what dumbass was filming this. Using language like "defend the property" after they've just admitted to you they're packing live ammunition is incredibly irresponsible. It couches whatever potentially happens next as heroic and morally correct. They primed him like a powder keg and no one should be shocked he went boom.

Speaks for itself. This is an incredibly tortured way to describe the sequence of events. I get that it's probably an attempt at being as neutral-sounding as possible, but do we really think a black man who had done the same thing would receive the same verbiage?

Popehat said it better:

I know this could happen with any gun...but I just can't imagine why people need AR's (Which I looked up on the internet) and they seem to really only serve a purpose for killing.  

I just don't get it.  This kid needs to no longer be on earth.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I know this could happen with any gun...but I just can't imagine why people need AR's (Which I looked up on the internet) and they seem to really only serve a purpose for killing.  

I just don't get it.  This kid needs to no longer be on earth.

I find the death penalty morally repugnant but in his stupidity and/or malice, this kid took two lives and that's going to be a stain on him for the rest of his life.

I also agree about ARs. I know people who love them and their 2A rights and all that but I just think as a society we'd be so much better off without them. And I'm no hardcore gun control activist.

People offer up all manner of counterpoints but the bolded is where I always wind up, too.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Danny Bateman said:

I find the death penalty morally repugnant but in his stupidity and/or malice, this kid took two lives and that's going to be a stain on him for the rest of his life.

I also agree about ARs. I know people who love them and their 2A rights and all that but I just think as a society we'd be so much better off without them. And I'm no hardcore gun control activist.

People offer up all manner of counterpoints but the bolded is where I always wind up, too.

If someone could give me one reason why you need more than a handgun and/shotgun I would be impressed.  I suppose you could be okay with single shot (if that is still a thing) rifles for hunting...but that is it.  I am anti-gun.  I don't get it.

I am also fine with this kid being put to death since he killed on purpose.  But I know not everyone agrees with that.

17 hours ago, teachercd said:

If someone could give me one reason why you need more than a handgun and/shotgun I would be impressed.  I suppose you could be okay with single shot (if that is still a thing) rifles for hunting...but that is it.  I am anti-gun.  I don't get it.

I'm a gun owner and all I have are shot guns and single shot rifles (for hunting) and sport.  I see no reason why someone needs more than a hand gun if they feel they need protection.  I personally don't see a need for a gun for protection...but...I guess some do.

The attitude this kid had when he took his gun to Kenosha is exactly the attitude that is behind feeling like you need an AR.  I just don't get it.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm a gun owner and all I have are shot guns and single shot rifles (for hunting) and sport.  I see no reason why someone needs more than a hand gun if they feel they need protection.  I personally don't see a need for a gun for protection...but...I guess some do.

The attitude this kid had when he took his gun to Kenosha is exactly the attitude that is behind feeling like you need an AR.  I just don't get it.

I hear you!  I totally agree.

18 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Bucks and Magic boycotting their playoff game. I'd guess the rest of the playoff slate tonight follows their lead.

There is also deeper context to the Bucks' protest on top of the Blake murder.

Sterling Brown was subject to police brutality in 2018. His lawsuit is still ongoing. Police actions during and after the incident are frightening and maddening. They've since admitted wrongdoing and $400,000 has been offered to settle but declined. 

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/12/04/sterling-brown-bucks-police-brutality-case

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/crime/2019/10/10/milwaukee-bucks-sterling-brown-lawsuit-details-police-misconduct/3918485002/

Before I say this, I want to point out that this doesn't mean I don't support the athletes who are boycotting playing.  I think it's a good cause and support them totally.  

But...something struck me this morning reading all this.

Black players used to be banned from playing in these leagues.  Players like Jackie Robinson fought and earned the right to play.  In doing so, they experienced bad racism and ultimately todays athletes benefit from that fight.

Today, we have black athletes refusing to play because of racism.

I'm only pointing this out as an example of how, even though racism still obviously exists and needs to be fought against....the world has changed so much.  And...even though we have some of the same problems today as in the past, sometimes it takes different actions to fight against them.

• Plus1 2