Racism - It's a real thing.

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

I know I'm going to get flack for this, but I think deep down people that do this aren't truly racist. They're just immature idiots. I've been around for the swastikas, the no means yes, and the green cards thrown in the soccer field at a state championship game. Usually people are trying to be funny or edgy, but it's really just cringy and absolutely embarrassing for those of us "associated" with them. You're a f#&%ing idiot if you do this stuff and only hurting all of us.

Idk, the lastest incident maybe different but usually these people are ignorant morons not hard core racists.

Please don't take this as "flack".  But even though not all ignorant morons are "racist", I'd be pretty confident in the following statement: "All racists are ignorant morons."

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 2:30 AM, ZRod said:

I know I'm going to get flack for this, but I think deep down people that do this aren't truly racist. They're just immature idiots. I've been around for the swastikas, the no means yes, and the green cards thrown in the soccer field at a state championship game. Usually people are trying to be funny or edgy, but it's really just cringy and absolutely embarrassing for those of us "associated" with them. You're a f#&%ing idiot if you do this stuff and only hurting all of us.

Idk, the lastest incident maybe different but usually these people are ignorant morons not hard core racists.

I hope this doesn't come off as too much flack, because you are a smart and reasonable guy (except for your taste in kettle chips), and I think I get what you are trying to say, but it is still racism. The immature idiots and ignorant morons you speak of are demonstrating their racial biases by engaging in reprehensible behavior. Yes it is immature and ignorant, but if there was not underlying racism and/or if these kids were being conscientious in any way, these particular behaviors would not happen.

The "hard core racists" that we see in the movies and have been warned about through history, are not nearly as prevalent as the more subtle stuff or the immature nonsense that can be easily dismissed (although the hardcore stuff sadly still exists). But its that underlying racism, the actions that can be shrugged off as not being intentionally malicious (or are they?), the stuff that we can't quite put our fingers on, that prevent our society from being truly inclusive. It's harder to fight, and sometimes its harder to see. 

But it is all emblematic of racism. So when we see these immature idiots, they still need to be called out. They need to be held accountable. Even if the excuse is that it was a "misunderstanding" or "I didn't mean to offend anyone" or "it was just a joke," well it's time for some knowledge and awareness so these jackasses can learn that their racist actions do harm our communities. 

• Plus1 4
27 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I hope this doesn't come off as too much flack, because you are a smart and reasonable guy (except for your taste in kettle chips), and I think I get what you are trying to say, but it is still racism. The immature idiots and ignorant morons you speak of are demonstrating their racial biases by engaging in reprehensible behavior. Yes it is immature and ignorant, but if there was not underlying racism and/or if these kids were being conscientious in any way, these particular behaviors would not happen.

The "hard core racists" that we see in the movies and have been warned about through history, are not nearly as prevalent as the more subtle stuff or the immature nonsense that can be easily dismissed (although the hardcore stuff sadly still exists). But its that underlying racism, the actions that can be shrugged off as not being intentionally malicious (or are they?), the stuff that we can't quite put our fingers on, that prevent our society from being truly inclusive. It's harder to fight, and sometimes its harder to see. 

But it is all emblematic of racism. So when we see these immature idiots, they still need to be called out. They need to be held accountable. Even if the excuse is that it was a "misunderstanding" or "I didn't mean to offend anyone" or "it was just a joke," well it's time for some knowledge and awareness so these jackasses can learn that their racist actions do harm our communities. 

And I whole heartedly 100% agree with everything you just said.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

On 9/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, ZRod said:

I get what you're saying because I'm certain I did things at that age that would horrify me today -- and I'm sure I've pushed some of those memories out of my brain. That  includes wearing a stupid pasted-on smile while  some a$$h@!e friend of mine bullied someone weaker to show off for our peer group. I knew it was wrong even with that pasted on smile. I definitely remember the times I stood up to a bully or helped out a victim because those are the memories that make me feel good about myself. But that same young guy failed to stand up in situations that were more awkward or dangerous. Older me has gotten much better at it.

So technically yeah --- there are good people on both sides. But at some point you have to become that good person who admits they were on the wrong side. There's actually a compelling history of people who convert from racism when given the chance, including a famous case out of Lincoln where a Jewish couple reached out to a local Nazi loudmouth. 

I give a dollop of blame to the guy in the White House sending out dog whistles to every fellow bully in the nation. But these kids are old enough to know right from wrong, and to suffer the predictable consequences --- which are mild for the moment. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1