Racism - It's a real thing.

10 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah...sure....your kid is exceptionally smart and has an opportunity to go to one of the top universities in the country and set themselves up for life....but sure.....don't send them because you want to protest something.

Ummmm.....no.  You can protest racism without affecting your child's future.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah...sure....your kid is exceptionally smart and has an opportunity to go to one of the top universities in the country and set themselves up for life....but sure.....don't send them because you want to protest something.

Ummmm.....no.  You can protest racism without affecting your child's future.

The most alarming parts of it are:

1) It's not surprising.

-and- 

2) There is an obvious expectation there that they believe that people will, and/or should take this pledge. 

It isn't a call for equality. It's a call for privilege. Which is ironic. The fact that this is thought to be part of the way forward for black people is, well, probably not good news for black people.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The most alarming parts of it are:

1) It's not surprising.

-and- 

2) There is an obvious expectation there that they believe that people will, and/or should take this pledge. 

It isn't a call for equality. It's a call for privilege. Which is ironic. The fact that this is thought to be part of the way forward for black people is, well, probably not good news for black people.

I just looked it up.  Black people make up 18% of Harvard's acceptance rate.  LINK

Black people make up 13.4% of the American population.  LINK

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What?  That black acceptance into elite colleges are slightly higher than their portion of the population?

Heavens no...I was talking about the demands from the group in general. I could see it (kinda sorta) if they were under represented. But you showed us that is not the case. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1