Racism - It's a real thing.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Track coaches don't have the same financial incentives to move as other college coaches. Obviously. Either way, your solution to BRB's friend being the victim of woke policy/agendas on his college campus is to pack up and go find another job? Cool.

No, just like every single person who has aspirations to do something more or different than they can in their current role one has to make changes and sacrifices.  Blaming it on the race of the person they hire instead of you is a pretty sad, defense mechanism and probably explains why you weren't the top candidate.

• Thanks 1

Seems like a good spot for this today - if you've never taken bias training or been tested, here's a quick one from Project Implicit - took me maybe 10 mins tonight.

Here's what it's about:  Project Implicit was founded in 1998 by three scientists – Dr. Tony Greenwald (University of Washington), Dr. Mahzarin Banaji (Harvard University), and Dr. Brian Nosek (University of Virginia). launched in 2011 and is led by Dr. Bethany Teachman (University of Virginia) and Dr. Matt Nock (Harvard University). The mission of Project Implicit is to educate the public about bias and to provide a “virtual laboratory” for collecting data on the internet. Project Implicit scientists produce high-impact research that forms the basis of our scientific knowledge about bias and disparities.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

No, just like every single person who has aspirations to do something more or different than they can in their current role one has to make changes and sacrifices.  Blaming it on the race of the person they hire instead of you is a pretty sad, defense mechanism and probably explains why you weren't the top candidate.

I actually am impressed you came around and admit this because most of the times we just refuse to admit when we were wrong.  I 100% agree with you, blaming the race of a person instead of yourself is sad.  

Again, very impressed with your new attitude on it.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I actually am impressed you came around and admit this because most of the times we just refuse to admit when we were wrong.  I 100% agree with you, blaming the race of a person instead of yourself is sad.  

Again, very impressed with your new attitude on it.

An ironic, yet welcomed change of heart!

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

4 hours ago, nic said:

I doubt she is being anti-Semitic. Just dumb in not realizing there is race involved in the holocaust. the belief of a superior race actually. She said she stands corrected. Good enough for me. No suspension “for show” needed.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/01/media/whoopi-goldberg-the-view-suspended/index.html

I've never watched The View, but I would be much more interested in watching it if stuff like this happened more often :lol:

• Thanks 1
On 1/27/2022 at 5:11 PM, NM11046 said:

He did make changes.  He got out of the profession.  

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I've never watched The View, but I would be much more interested in watching it if stuff like this happened more often :lol:

That was not fair, those ladies were not ready for him and he didn't even do anything.  He let them be the punchline.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

He did make changes.  He got out of the profession.  

Now he just coaches Field...he left the track part behind. 

Fired Miami Dolphins Coach Brian Flores Sues NFL, Alleging Racist Hiring

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/miami-dolphins/fired-miami-dolphins-coach-brian-flores-sues-nfl-alleging-racist-hiring/2678304/

Flores sued the NFL and three of its teams Tuesday, saying racist hiring practices by the league have left it racially segregated and managed like a plantation.

"My sincere hope is that by standing up against systemic racism in the NFL, others will join me to ensure that positive change is made for generations to come,” he said.

In a statement, the NFL said it will defend “against these claims, which are without merit.”

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I would be OK with banning groups like this. Maybe we should focus on that instead of banning books.

Is this Krav Madork?  

This looks like a class on how to get your a$$ kicked.

These guys need to get beaten with a rubber hose.

These losers better hope they don't run into anyone that knows some Jew Jitsu. 

• Haha 1
On 2/2/2022 at 11:53 AM, admo said:

Fired Miami Dolphins Coach Brian Flores Sues NFL, Alleging Racist Hiring

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/miami-dolphins/fired-miami-dolphins-coach-brian-flores-sues-nfl-alleging-racist-hiring/2678304/

Flores sued the NFL and three of its teams Tuesday, saying racist hiring practices by the league have left it racially segregated and managed like a plantation.

"My sincere hope is that by standing up against systemic racism in the NFL, others will join me to ensure that positive change is made for generations to come,” he said.

In a statement, the NFL said it will defend “against these claims, which are without merit.”

I've been seeing a lot of people describe this situation as "it's a he said he said, but why would Flores lie?" I think the insinuation there is that we should believe Flores is telling the truth given the nature of the accusations. That's a bit of a dangerous assertion to make no matter what your perspective is.

I can't say whether Flores or any of the people he accused in his lawsuit are telling the truth or lying. There's certainly quite a bit of evidence to suggest foul play, but there are also several things outlined in the lawsuit that he just flat out won't be able to prove... like John Elway being "hungover" and disheveled when they interviewed. Elway has denied it, giving some passing excuse that he was running on little sleep after traveling all night, but was still prepared and engaged for the 3 1/2 hours they spent together... something you probably don't do if you're not seriously considering hiring someone. But again, how does one prove any of that?

I don't think Flores is lying about how he feels - that much I feel confident about. But, it's equally possible he is seeing some things he wants to see in order to try and understand why certain things happened to him. A court may end up finding out that yes... it was because of racism that he was treated that way. A court might also decide that there isn't enough evidence to prove race had anything to do with anything. That's why I often try to withhold and judgement one way or the other in these types of things.

I will say that I'm still very surprised he was fired this past season based purely on team performance. I think one thing this lawsuit does shed some light on is that ownership clearly must've had some ulterior motives for his firing because the record didn't really warrant it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I've been seeing a lot of people describe this situation as "it's a he said he said, but why would Flores lie?" I think the insinuation there is that we should believe Flores is telling the truth given the nature of the accusations. That's a bit of a dangerous assertion to make no matter what your perspective is.

I can't say whether Flores or any of the people he accused in his lawsuit are telling the truth or lying. There's certainly quite a bit of evidence to suggest foul play, but there are also several things outlined in the lawsuit that he just flat out won't be able to prove... like John Elway being "hungover" and disheveled when they interviewed. Elway has denied it, giving some passing excuse that he was running on little sleep after traveling all night, but was still prepared and engaged for the 3 1/2 hours they spent together... something you probably don't do if you're not seriously considering hiring someone. But again, how does one prove any of that?

I don't think Flores is lying about how he feels - that much I feel confident about. But, it's equally possible he is seeing some things he wants to see in order to try and understand why certain things happened to him. A court may end up finding out that yes... it was because of racism that he was treated that way. A court might also decide that there isn't enough evidence to prove race had anything to do with anything. That's why I often try to withhold and judgement one way or the other in these types of things.

I will say that I'm still very surprised he was fired this past season based purely on team performance. I think one thing this lawsuit does shed some light on is that ownership clearly must've had some ulterior motives for his firing because the record didn't really warrant it.

He was 24-25 in three seasons, with zero playoff appearances. I suppose you could make a case for him keeping his job, but it also shouldn't be that surprising that he was fired. Nagy went 34-32 with the Bears, and I don't see anyone rushing to his defense. Zimmer was 72-56 with the Vikings. It's fairly clear why people are upset that he was fired. My biggest issue with Flores is the way he's going about throwing people under the bus.... He did Belichick and Elway pretty dirty. The same with the Giants. If you don't want people to give token interviews to minority candidates, don't require them to give those interviews. If an organization has their guy lined up, it's a waste of everyone's time.

Also, it looks like Hue Jackson is wanting to join the lawsuit? That's hilarious.

• Plus1 2