Racism - It's a real thing.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:52 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Wow…..have to admit, this becoming entertaining.  

I am actually surprised that people care about his anti semitic remarks. It could  be the source and his relationship with Trump. Omar and Talib seem to get away with them….I guess cause they are in government jobs.

• Plus1 1

My wife and I consider swimming an essential life skill. Our kids have no choice but to learn how. We had no idea it was racist.

https://www.yahoo.com/video/fetterman-wife-calls-swimming-america-234551770.html

Speaking on a podcast Thursday, Gisele Barreto Fetterman, the wife of Pennsylvania Democratic Senate candidate John Fetterman, said, “Historically, swimming in America is very racist.”

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, nic said:

My wife and I consider swimming an essential life skill. Our kids have no choice but to learn how. We had no idea it was racist.

https://www.yahoo.com/video/fetterman-wife-calls-swimming-america-234551770.html

Speaking on a podcast Thursday, Gisele Barreto Fetterman, the wife of Pennsylvania Democratic Senate candidate John Fetterman, said, “Historically, swimming in America is very racist.”

Stupid comment.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
36 minutes ago, nic said:

I am actually surprised that people care about his anti semitic remarks. It could  be the source and his relationship with Trump. Omar and Talib seem to get away with them….I guess cause they in government jobs.

You're surprised that people care about him saying he was going to "death con 3 on Jewish people"?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, nic said:

“And while we did not want the mansion, that mansion came with a pool I wanted. And the dream was to make this a public pool and turn it into the people’s pool and ensure that young people across Pennsylvania could learn how to swim and water safety and kind of work to right some of the wrongs,” she told Jill Wine-Banks and Victor Shi on the iGen Politics podcast.

The clip is around the 9:45 mark of the link.  She’s talking about how drownings more often affect children of color most likely due to lack of access.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7024a1.htm

Edit:  looks like @knapplcaddressed the nonsense.  Carry on…

• Plus1 4
21 hours ago, knapplc said:

For someone who claims to consume "both sides" of the news, you seem unaware that Fetterman is correct, and you seem to be unnecessarily attempting to frame her as the racist.

There were several incidents involving Black kids trying to use public pools in the past few years. They made big news - just not in every corner of the media. This is what Fetterman is referring to. She did not imply that swimming itself is racist as you're attempting to make it sound.

Google "Fetterman swimming racist" and the first two dozen hits are right wing media frothing over the sound bite.

Google "swimming in america racist history" and you'll get results explaining what Fetterman is talking about.

I don't really care if it was Fetterman or a prof at a university saying that yet one more thing is racist. I just post nonsensical things that people say are racist....like sheet music, advanced math classes and roads for example. 

And when did I say Fetterman was racist? I have no reason to believe Fetterman or his wife are racist. By default, I do not assume people are racist until they do or say something that suggests they are.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, Scarlet said:

You're surprised that people care about him saying he was going to "death con 3 on Jewish people"?

Terrible thing to say, I agree, but he has proven to be....unstable. I am happy he is getting called out for it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given how popular he was...maybe he still is. I guess my point is that Jews seem to be treated poorly frequently and it is often greated with a shoulder shrug.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, funhusker said:

“And while we did not want the mansion, that mansion came with a pool I wanted. And the dream was to make this a public pool and turn it into the people’s pool and ensure that young people across Pennsylvania could learn how to swim and water safety and kind of work to right some of the wrongs,” she told Jill Wine-Banks and Victor Shi on the iGen Politics podcast.

The clip is around the 9:45 mark of the link.  She’s talking about how drownings more often affect children of color most likely due to lack of access.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7024a1.htm

Edit:  looks like @knapplcaddressed the nonsense.  Carry on…

I took it as...there are less opportunities in traditionally black neighborhoods to find a place to learn to swim. Unfortunate, but not racist.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, nic said:

I took it as...there are less opportunities in traditionally black neighborhoods to find a place to learn to swim. Unfortunate, but not racist.

So, I explained how to find out the racist history of America's public swimming pools, and you chose to remain uneducated on the topic and claim there's no racism involved.

Cool. Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
On 10/29/2022 at 12:59 PM, knapplc said:

So, I explained how to find out the racist history of America's public swimming pools, and you chose to remain uneducated on the topic and claim there's no racism involved.

Cool. Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool.

I don’t think anyone is denying the likelihood of the racist HISTORY around public swimming pools, but what does that have to do with a 12 year old black kid in 2022 not being able to swim? Sounds like that has way more to do with the personal responsibility of their parents (imagine that!) then it doesn’t white people. 

• Thanks 2
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don’t think anyone is denying the likelihood of the racist HISTORY around public swimming pools, but what does that have to do with a 12 year old black kid in 2022 not being able to swim? Sounds like that has way more to do with the personal responsibility of their parents (imagine that!) then it doesn’t white people. 

You answered your own question in the question. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1