Racism - It's a real thing.

Kanye is an absolute idiot, and he always has been. But I would think that if someone on Fox News has said what the folks on CNN said about Kanye, most of us would be up in arms about it, and rightfully so (or at least would have entered it into this thread). So CNN, regardless if the anchors are black or not, should not get an automatic pass, they need to be more careful about the words they choose as well.

Whether someone says "Negro" or the worse version of the N-word, it still carries a lot of baggage with it. Even when black people use those words, it is often in a different context than white people using it, and that panel on CNN get more leeway because they are black and they understand the history and connotations of these words. But using these terms in a flippant manner sends the wrong message to the audience. 

Now, I think it is extremely important for folks of all backgrounds to be able to talk about race with each other, and that means stepping outside comfort zone to do so. In this case, maybe that means a deeper discussion into what these words mean, and how and why it is different if they are used by black people or by white people. But if we ignore this altogether, Trump followers are going to point to this incident and use it to excuse every racist thing that the President has said and will continue to say. To make it clear, I do condemn what Don Lemon said last night. Anything that further complicates the racial divisions in our country is problematic to me.

As far as the relationship between Trump and Kanye, these are two morons who are using each other for publicity for no other productive purpose. For Trump specifically, yes he probably is giddy about having a black celebrity in his corner. Now he gets to add the "I have a black friend" angle, along with his prior comments about his great relationship with "the blacks" and "look at my African American over here," just to name a couple.

For HuskerNation1 to so gleefully put his foot on the gas over this situation is laughably disingenuous, given his repeated refusal to address Trump's racism in other threads. To go so far as to now say that anyone who watches CNN supports racism because of this one incident, what do you say about a guy who supports Donald Trump, who is unabashedly racist and makes no effort to hide it?

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Kanye is an absolute idiot, and he always has been. But I would think that if someone on Fox News has said what the folks on CNN said about Kanye, most of us would be up in arms about it, and rightfully so (or at least would have entered it into this thread). So CNN, regardless if the anchors are black or not, should not get an automatic pass, they need to be more careful about the words they choose as well.

Whether someone says "Negro" or the worse version of the N-word, it still carries a lot of baggage with it. Even when black people use those words, it is often in a different context than white people using it, and that panel on CNN get more leeway because they are black and they understand the history and connotations of these words. But using these terms in a flippant manner sends the wrong message to the audience. 

Now, I think it is extremely important for folks of all backgrounds to be able to talk about race with each other, and that means stepping outside comfort zone to do so. In this case, maybe that means a deeper discussion into what these words mean, and how and why it is different if they are used by black people or by white people. But if we ignore this altogether, Trump followers are going to point to this incident and use it to excuse every racist thing that the President has said and will continue to say. To make it clear, I do condemn what Don Lemon said last night. Anything that further complicates the racial divisions in our country is problematic to me.

As far as the relationship between Trump and Kanye, these are two morons who are using each other for publicity for no other productive purpose. For Trump specifically, yes he probably is giddy about having a black celebrity in his corner. Now he gets to add the "I have a black friend" angle, along with his prior comments about his great relationship with "the blacks" and "look at my African American over here," just to name a couple.

For HuskerNation1 to so gleefully put his foot on the gas over this situation is laughably disingenuous, given his repeated refusal to address Trump's racism in other threads. To go so far as to now say that anyone who watches CNN supports racism because of this one incident, what do you say about a guy who supports Donald Trump, who is unabashedly racist and makes no effort to hide it?

I appreciate the first part of your comments and agree many on here need to stop throwing around labels including Trump is racist. If you look at the Angry Left thread there was a tangent on racism that I have responded too over and over. Despite Trump partnering witj Jesse Jackson and his rainbow coalition or with many other minority leaders over the years, and hiring thousands of minorities over the years, and getting millions of minority votes in 2016, some here still want to end debate about Trumps policies and successes by throwing out the Racist label. Its a common tactic to shut down debate.  Do you think Jesse Jackson supports racism by partnering with Trump in 1999 for his Rainbow Coalition?

9 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I appreciate the first part of your comments and agree many on here need to stop throwing around labels including Trump is racist. If you look at the Angry Left thread there was a tangent on racism that I have responded too over and over. Despite Trump partnering witj Jesse Jackson and his rainbow coalition or with many other minority leaders over the years, and hiring thousands of minorities over the years, and getting millions of minority votes in 2016, some here still want to end debate about Trumps policies and successes by throwing out the Racist label. Its a common tactic to shut down debate.  Do you think Jesse Jackson supports racism by partnering with Trump in 1999 for his Rainbow Coalition?

Before I comment on Jesse Jackson, you still have a lot to answer for regarding Trump's racism. It is a lie to say you have responded over and over. Address the specific things that Trump has said and done with regard to race and ethnicity. You were provided links on the Republican Utopia thread. Read them. 

Does Jesse Jackson "support racism"? I doubt it. Jesse Jackson is a politician; he has run for several political offices, including the Presidency multiple times. I'm sure partnering with Trump in the 90s was done for a political purpose and publicity. Trump was buddies with the Clintons back in the day as well. People in those positions, on all sides, get their hands dirty with some impure people. Was Jesse Jackson aware of Trump's views and record with regard to civil rights and minorities back in 1999? I don't know. Would Jesse Jackson still have partnered with Trump if he knew then what we know now? I don't know, but I doubt it. Has Jesse Jackson made any comment about his 1999 relationship with Trump? What do you think he would say? Is Jesse Jackson himself a perfect angel? No way. He had a child as a result of an affair, at about that same time, actually. He was caught saying some pretty bad things about Obama, but also was an Obama supporter. These things get messy. Jackson's overall record is one of someone who has fought for civil rights and equality for decades, but some serious flaws have been uncovered along the way. 

Now if you are done cherry picking Jesse Jackson and Don Lemon, why don't you talk about Trump's repeated rhetoric regarding issues of race and ethnicity.

• Plus1 2

I have no problem with rappers using any word in their lyrics.  That's their business.

As far as advertisers go with CNN, that is up to them.  That's called marketing.  If they think they will get money for advertising on Don Lemmon's show, so be it.  

Just because Trump does something non-racist doesn't mean he isn't racist.  He's been proven to do and say racist things.

36 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I appreciate the first part of your comments and agree many on here need to stop throwing around labels including Trump is racist. If you look at the Angry Left thread there was a tangent on racism that I have responded too over and over.

LOL....so, you are calling on people to stop throwing out labels and then point to a thread you started proclaiming people who don't agree with you....the "Angry Left".

Irony is fun sometimes.

10 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Does Jesse Jackson "support racism"? I doubt it. Jesse Jackson is a politician; he has run for several political offices, including the Presidency multiple times. I'm sure partnering with Trump in the 90s was done for a political purpose and publicity. Trump was buddies with the Clintons back in the day as well. People in those positions, on all sides, get their hands dirty with some impure people. Was Jesse Jackson aware of Trump's views and record with regard to civil rights and minorities back in 1999? I don't know. Would Jesse Jackson still have partnered with Trump if he knew then what we know now? I don't know, but I doubt it. Has Jesse Jackson made any comment about his 1999 relationship with Trump? What do you think he would say? Is Jesse Jackson himself a perfect angel? No way. He had a child as a result of an affair, at about that same time, actually. He was caught saying some pretty bad things about Obama, but also was an Obama supporter. These things get messy. Jackson's overall record is one of someone who has fought for civil rights and equality for decades, but some serious flaws have been uncovered along the way. 

Jackson is the epitome of a Democrat that lived off of and got rich off of promoting a division based on race.

I'll fully support efforts to eliminate racism in America.  However, Jackson is not a hero in this effort like he tries to make himself out to be.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I appreciate the first part of your comments and agree many on here need to stop throwing around labels including Trump is racist.

Trump is racist.

Racists should be pointed out for what they are.

Do you have any examples where people have tried to shut down a debate here about policy by calling him racist, not including topics where his racism is relevant? Let’s say the economy. Have people done that? When?

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Jackson is the epitome of a Democrat that lived off of and got rich off of promoting a division based on race.

I'll fully support efforts to eliminate racism in America.  However, Jackson is not a hero in this effort like he tries to make himself out to be.

Yep!  Jackson is a sleaze and most people in the city either hate him or are scared of him.

16 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not sure I would call Angry as a label like the term racist or sexist....

LOL....you left off the other word.

You have specifically called me a leftist on here and proclaimed me "part of the resistance"....and at the same time acting like it's horrible that someone calls Trump a racist.

Interestingly, you did this without knowing any of my views on subjects.  It was simply based on my dislike of a certain politician.  You do exactly what you are preaching for other people to NOT do.

Yes...Irony.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Before I comment on Jesse Jackson, you still have a lot to answer for regarding Trump's racism. It is a lie to say you have responded over and over. Address the specific things that Trump has said and done with regard to race and ethnicity. You were provided links on the Republican Utopia thread. Read them. 

Now if you are done cherry picking Jesse Jackson and Don Lemon, why don't you talk about Trump's repeated rhetoric regarding issues of race and ethnicity.

I am not here to talk about whether Jackson had a child out of wedlock. He has been the face of discussion on racism and minority for decades and discounting his partnership with Trump is just one sign of Trumps outreach to minorities.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

LOL....you left off the other word.

You have specifically called me a leftist on here and proclaimed me "part of the resistance"....and at the same time acting like it's horrible that someone calls Trump a racist.

Interestingly, you did this without knowing any of my views on subjects.  It was simply based on my dislike of a certain politician.  You do exactly what you are preaching for other people to NOT do.

Yes...Irony.

And I believe you admitted to being part of the Resistance which I would say is a movement and not a label. 

• Plus1 1