Racism - It's a real thing.

At a moment when the worst elements of our political system are frantically trying to convince people to lose their minds about a peaceful group of asylum seekers at the southern tip of Mexico like they're beating down our doors, ready to pillage our homeland and corrupt our way of life, white supremacist violence continues on somewhat silently in the background. It's as prevalent as it has ever been in modern times, and by some reports is increasing.

It's a shame these stories go mostly ignored in favor of the crap we hear about on a day to day basis.

• Plus1 1

On 10/25/2018 at 10:00 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

At a moment when the worst elements of our political system are frantically trying to convince people to lose their minds about a peaceful group of asylum seekers at the southern tip of Mexico like they're beating down our doors, ready to pillage our homeland and corrupt our way of life, white supremacist violence continues on somewhat silently in the background. It's as prevalent as it has ever been in modern times, and by some reports is increasing.

It's a shame these stories go mostly ignored in favor of the crap we hear about on a day to day basis.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. I think 30 some people were shot and killed in Chicago in the last week. Anyone seen anything about it on the news or on their twitter feeds?

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

That's only the tip of the iceberg. I think 30 some people were shot and killed in Chicago in the last week. Anyone seen anything about it on the news or on their twitter feeds?

that's just our normal everyday gun culture at work.   no need to talk about that.

• Plus1 1

On 10/31/2018 at 10:44 AM, Landlord said:

You haven't live in Chicago long have you?  I grew up there...it is insane.

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Has $ for a wall been allocated? If not, I wonder if they're allowed to use defense funds for the fence of stupidity.

DrEtBbGVsAAOn6C.jpg

I guess if you make up problems that aren't really problems you can look really smart when you "fix" them.

I personally think it's shameful and embarrassing. 

But the situation feels more like they're duping stupid and racist people into voting for them and they don't really care what the world thinks.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

But the situation feels more like they're duping stupid and racist people into voting for them and they don't really care what the world thinks.

that is 200% the plan.   

10 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

When did protecting the country’s borders from a foreign invasion become “shameful and embarrassing?”

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

17oyos0prehlcjpg.jpg

Bizarre Protest by Smith, Carlos Tarnishes Medals
by Brent Musburger

MEXICO CITY-Tommie Smith and John Carlos must be labeled unimaginative blokes if they can't come up with a stronger and more effective protest than the one they staged her last night during the Olympic medal ceremony honoring their accomplishments in the 200-meter run.

Smith and Carlos looked like a couple of black-skinned storm troopers, holding aloft their black-gloved hands during the playing of the National Anthem. They sprinkled their symbolism with black track shoes and black scarfs and black power medals. It's destined to go down as the most unsubtle demonstration in the history of protest.

But you've got to give Smith and Carlos credit for one thing. They knew how to deliver whatever it was they were trying to deliver on international television, thus insuring maximum embarrassment for the country that is picking up the tab for their room and board here in Mexico City. One gets a little tired of having the United States run down by athletes who are enjoying themselves at the expense of their country.

Protesting and working constructively against racism in the United States is one thing, but airing one's dirty clothing before the entire world during a fun and games tournament was no more than a juvenile gesture by a couple of athletes who should have known better.

If Smith and Carlos were convinced that the ends justified their black power demonstration during the National Anthem, they should have avoided the award ceremony altogether. If it's true, as Hayes Jones says, that an athlete competes for himself but walks to the stand for his country, then a more courageous protest would have been for Smith and Carlos simply to stay away and not pick up their medals.

Their ignoble performance on the victory stand completely overshadowed a magnificent performance by two black athletes. It's a shame. Smith will not now be remembered as that splendid runner who so thoroughly demolished the world's record that he ran the last 10 yards with both arms held high in triumph over his head as he crashed through the finish line in the fantastic time of 19.8.

He will instead be remembered as the militant black who shook a black glove and black track shoe during the playing of the National Anthem. It hardly seems on the level with his first accomplishment, and it did absolutely nothing to relax racial tensions any place.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBWtvZIR4sL4RmB0fyYih

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

When did protecting the country’s borders from a foreign invasion become “shameful and embarrassing?”

Wow, we've really become the most cowardly country on earth if a few thousand poor, homeless immigrants walking the length of Mexico is "a foreign invasion".

• Plus1 3