Racism - It's a real thing.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if I dress up as a Japanese man and bring sushi to the party, I'm being racist?

Not necessarily, but a few questions:

- Are you assuming a certain look applies to all Japanese men?

- Are you calling yourself "Japanese guy" or is it more specific, such as "Samurai warrior" or "Sushi chef" or "Sumo wrestler"

- What kind of sushi? Is it fresh?

There are a lot of Halloween costumes, and sports mascots too I suppose, that are unintentional examples of cultural appropriation. It doesn't mean you are racist, but people need to have some awareness and consideration of what message they are sending. A better question to ask would be: if you were Japanese and someone came to your house dressed up as "Japanese guy", would you find that offensive in any way.

As a white male, I find these questions to be difficult, because if someone made a caricature of a white guy, I would not be offended. But being white and male, I have always had the privilege of being part of the dominant culture. If I were in a more marginalized group, it might take it differently when someone makes fun of my stereotypes. 

8 hours ago, Ulty said:

A better question to ask would be: if you were Japanese and someone came to your house dressed up as "Japanese guy", would you find that offensive in any way.

If he was wearing a legit kimono the vast majority of Japanese people would like it. If he put on yellow face or did actions to mock their culture or accent then it would be a problem.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Reporters question Trump’s competency all of the time. But when he turns the table on them, he’s somehow “racist.” Predictable.

the reporters haven't done that....some of the talking head commentators on tv have...as well as me i admit....but those pool reporters haven't that i recall.

2 minutes ago, commando said:

the reporters haven't done that....some of the talking head commentators on tv have...as well as me i admit....but those pool reporters haven't that i recall.

Acosta uses his WH credentials to challenge Sanders or Trump, argue, pick fights, and generally grandstand. That’s why the rest of the WH press corps hates him. He’s a preening, grandstanding douchebag.

Reporters are there to report the news. Period. They should be like offensive linemen or referees...if they become the story, they’re doing the job wrong.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Ric Flair said:

Acosta uses his WH credentials to challenge Sanders or Trump, argue, pick fights, and generally grandstand. That’s why the rest of the WH press corps hates him. He’s a preening, grandstanding douchebag.

Reporters are there to report the news. Period. They should be like offensive linemen or referees...if they become the story, they’re doing the job wrong.

kk....let's say you are right about acosta...the alt right is pushing that agenda hard so not going to waste time arguing it with you.....but does that make trump calling all those black women stupid the right thing to do?   it seems that black women get called stupid a heck of a lot of times by this president.

3 minutes ago, commando said:

kk....let's say you are right about acosta...the alt right is pushing that agenda hard so not going to waste time arguing it with you.....but does that make trump calling all those black women stupid the right thing to do?   it seems that black women get called stupid a heck of a lot of times by this president.

Trump calls anyone who disagrees with him stupid. Where is the proof that has anything to do with gender or race?

• Plus1 1
Just now, Ric Flair said:

Trump calls anyone who disagrees with him stupid. Where is the proof that has anything to do with gender or race?

only 3 black female reporters have heard that since the acosta situation.   and trump doesn't know the difference between the baltics and the balkans so he has no room to be calling anyone stupid.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, commando said:

only 3 black female reporters have heard that since the acosta situation.   and trump doesn't know the difference between the baltics and the balkans so he has no room to be calling anyone stupid.

Trump knows how to win elections. That puts him one up on Clinton.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Do they grow bananas in China?

wait...you are the expert on everything and you have to ask me?   i would think someone who knows more about the law than the lawyers do, more about economics than the economists do, more about science than the scientist do, and more about google than google does, wouldn't have to ask me that question.

• Plus1 3