Racism - It's a real thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had to do a double take when I read this tweet. I feel like it's very rare to see discrimination accusations being lobbed against white people. (Admittedly, I wish we lived in a world where affirmative action wasn't a thing and all people were afforded equal opportunities. But, that's a pipe dream).

I think there are a lot of interesting elements to this. For starters, I've seen some minority groups applauding this because they say it's insulting to hispanics/blacks/etc. to have their college entry be in any way weighted by their skin color. Says it makes them 'appear more dumb' than their counterparts. Conversely, there are a lot of people who look at this and say whites/asians are already afforded more opportunities and that practices like this help balance out the opportunities.

I never feel like there's a right or wrong answer in these discussions sometimes. I also can't say that I'm totally surprised that THIS version of our Justice Department is making these claims. Doesn't feel very organic but I don't know enough about the history of bias that many Asian Americans are claiming happens to them in the college entry process (which the article mentions).

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I had to do a double take when I read this tweet. I feel like it's very rare to see discrimination accusations being lobbed against white people. (Admittedly, I wish we lived in a world where affirmative action wasn't a thing and all people were afforded equal opportunities. But, that's a pipe dream).

I think there are a lot of interesting elements to this. For starters, I've seen some minority groups applauding this because they say it's insulting to hispanics/blacks/etc. to have their college entry be in any way weighted by their skin color. Says it makes them 'appear more dumb' than their counterparts. Conversely, there are a lot of people who look at this and say whites/asians are already afforded more opportunities and that practices like this help balance out the opportunities.

I never feel like there's a right or wrong answer in these discussions sometimes. I also can't say that I'm totally surprised that THIS version of our Justice Department is making these claims. Doesn't feel very organic but I don't know enough about the history of bias that many Asian Americans are claiming happens to them in the college entry process (which the article mentions).

Harvard does this even more.  It has been going on for about 10-15 years now.  Guidance counselors will share some pretty interesting stories about this topic.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Sometimes your shtick gets old when people are actually being murdered. Its not really funny anymore. 

Like...I really don't know what that is, I know nothing about guns.  Do they mean a rifle?  

Once again, I am not funny and nor was I trying to be funny.