Racism - It's a real thing.

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, I read that. It’s a bs PR statement from the board when they realized they had screwed up. 

Your trying to tell me that teachers who kept teaching from those books without repercussions and those books being in the school library constitutes a ban?  Oh my. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

https://cbnc.com/minnesota-middle-school-will-eliminate-fs-to-combat-systemic-racism/

Please please please, please say that all grades are racist and that parent teacher conferences are racist, please please please!

From the article: "Dr. Kazmierczak and WBLAS believe grades should be a measure of what a student knows and has mastered in a given course. "

Dr. K, what grade should a student receive if he/she "fails" to know or master what is expected in a given course?

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

From the article: "Dr. Kazmierczak and WBLAS believe grades should be a measure of what a student knows and has mastered in a given course. "

Dr. K, what grade should a student receive if he/she "fails" to know or master what is expected in a given course?

Ha!

From now on you get a "rainbow" if you mastered it and a "crocodile" if you did bad.

So, I am one of those teachers that hates to give an F (for the final report card grade) because of the extra f#&%ing work involved.  So GET RID OF THE F!

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha!

From now on you get a "rainbow" if you mastered it and a "crocodile" if you did bad.

So, I am one of those teachers that hates to give an F (for the final report card grade) because of the extra f#&%ing work involved.  So GET RID OF THE F!

Agree for the most part.  I rarely give one.

But if I do, it's because the kid is incredibly lazy and refuses any and all opportunities I give him/her to at least get to a passing grade.  Plus, my class isn't hard to pass!

So when I do give an "F", it's incredibly satisfying to explain to the parents that I wasn't bluffing!

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Agree for the most part.  I rarely give one.

But if I do, it's because the kid is incredibly lazy and refuses any and all opportunities I give him/her to at least get to a passing grade.  Plus, my class isn't hard to pass!

So when I do give an "F", it's incredibly satisfying to explain to the parents that I wasn't bluffing!

Yeah, you have to try to fail for the most part, unless your school is systemically racist of course. 

But I will do everything in my power to make sure a kid will pass instead of fail.

I have a student that is currently failing, they have not turned in about a dozen assignments.  When I checked the grade the other day and saw it was an F, I knew right then and there...I was a racist, even though the kid is white.    Once I bumped it up to a D, I no longer felt like a racist. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1