Racism - It's a real thing.

The combine process is comparable to slavery? I guess I need to hear what was said. Players are evaluated for strength, speed on drills, vertical, etc. Also tested for intellect and personality. (Someone missed the latter category on Ryan Leaf) I wonder if they compared this selection process to selecting/buying slaves? Anyway, I am sure the best are chosen with some consideration of how a person may fit with the team and in the locker room. Sounds like a meritocracy with the exception of the “fit” aspect and how much they are asking for. Players even have a union. It seems like there are people out there that spend all their time trying to find connections to racism for almost anything. It must be time to take down a great American pastime. On a side note, I have read a couple articles from former players on how nonsensical this idea is.

• Plus1 2

42 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Can you explain something to me?  Why do only black and Puerto Rican kids ride busses to the beach?

I'm not saying I disagree with what he said.  I'm just confused as to why someone would sit in their office designing over passes saying....."hmmmm...if I lower this so busses can't go under it, it will keep black and puerto rican kids out.".

They can't walk,  or ride in other types of vehicles?  White kids never ride on a bus to the beach?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can you explain something to me?  Why do only black and Puerto Rican kids ride busses to the beach?

I'm not saying I disagree with what he said.  I'm just confused as to why someone would sit in their office designing over passes saying....."hmmmm...if I lower this so busses can't go under it, it will keep black and puerto rican kids out.".

They can't walk,  or ride in other types of vehicles?  White kids never ride on a bus to the beach?

The highway separated the black and puerto rican neighborhoods from the beach. Lowering the overpasses makes public transportation more difficult from the minority neighborhood to the beach. Just because it's still possible is not the point but rather that the system tried and succeeded in making it more difficult. Is that not clear?

Just now, RedDenver said:

The highway separated the black and puerto rican neighborhoods from the beach. Lowering the overpasses makes public transportation more difficult from the minority neighborhood to the beach. Just because it's still possible is not the point but rather that the system tried and succeeded in making it more difficult. Is that not clear?

OK...it is now.  That wasn't clear before of what I read.  I asked for more information.  Thanks.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

OK...it is now.  That wasn't clear before of what I read.  I asked for more information.  Thanks.

Yeah. It's pretty devious. 

Robert Moses and His Racist Parkway, Explained.

This summer, as New Yorkers head out to Long Island’s beach towns and parks on the Southern State Parkway, they’ll pass beneath a series of overpass bridges made infamous in Robert A. Caro’s monumental 1974 biography of Robert Moses, The Power Broker.

In one of the book's most memorable passages, Caro reveals that Moses ordered his engineers to build the bridges low over the parkway to keep buses from the city away from Jones Beach—buses presumably filled with the poor blacks and Puerto Ricans Moses despised. The story was told to Caro by Sidney M. Shapiro, a close Moses associate and former chief engineer and general manager of the Long Island State Park Commission.

I decided to test this by comparing bridge clearances on the Southern State to those on the three earlier Westchester roads.  Mengisteab Debessay, an engineer with New York State Department of Transportation, directed me to a database of bridge clearances statewide used for route planning—thus sparing me a time-consuming windshield survey. A measure of the minimum height between the pavement and the bottom of the overpass structure, clearances tend to change only modestly with road resurfacings.  Unless a bridge is upgraded or replaced, clearances remain stable over time.

Limiting my search to only those arched stone or brick-clad structures in place or under construction when Moses began work on the Southern State, I recorded clearances for a total of 20 bridges, viaducts and overpasses: 7 on the Bronx River Parkway (completed in 1925); 6 on the initial portion of the Saw Mill River Parkway (1926) and 7 on the Hutchinson River Parkway (begun in 1924 and opened in 1927). I then took measure of the 20 original bridges and overpasses on the Southern State Parkway, from its start at the city line in Queens to the Wantagh Parkway, the first section to open (on November 7, 1927) and the portion used to reach Jones Beach. The verdict? It appears that Sid Shapiro was right.

Overall, clearances are substantially lower on the Moses parkway, averaging just 107.6 inches (eastbound), against 121.6 inches on the Hutchinson and 123.2 inches on the Saw Mill. Even on the Bronx River Parkway—a road championed by an infamous racist, Madison Grant, author of the 1916 best seller The Passing of the Great Race—clearances averaged 115.6 inches. There is just a single structure of under eight feet (96 inches) clearance on all three Westchester parkways; on the Southern State there are four.

• Thanks 1