Racism - It's a real thing.

5 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah I read some of that thread.  The thing is racist bull sh#@ like that DOES happen a lot more than your average Joe who has obviously never experienced anything like that at all thinks that it does.  No shocker there.

Years ago, I was at a convention in New Orleans.  We were at the bars till about 2:00.  Then, we took a $95 cab ride touring New Orleans (the cabbie loved us).  At about 4:00, we stopped at a Perkins for breakfast.  Buying the cabbie breakfast was going to be part of his tip.  Well, the Perkins was in a black neighborhood.  All of us were white and the only white people in the restaurant.  We stood there for a long time and never got seated.  There were tables that came open and other's (black) were seated.  But, the hostess never even came and greeted us.  All of us left with a new found appreciation for being treated that way.  And....no, it wasn't because we were all drunk.  By that time, we had sobered up pretty well.  That experience has stuck with me ever since.

I'm not telling this as a "aha...see, it happens the other way too".  I'm telling this to point out that none of us had ever experienced anything like that before and didn't know how it felt.  

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah I read some of that thread.  The thing is racist bull sh#@ like that DOES happen a lot more than your average Joe who has obviously never experienced anything like that at all thinks that it does.  No shocker there.

Some people just don't want to see it. The poster that was quoted previously is one of them.

You don't find out and out racism much, but it's definitely still around in more subliminal forms. Bars/clubs have dress codes to keep the "rif-raf" out, and you'll find that banning flat bill caps, sports jerseys and baggy clothes affects a very specific demographic.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 4 weeks later...

55 minutes ago, nic said:

And yet people say racism doesn’t exist.

Find me a public institution that supports this and I’d support 100% of funds pulled and extras for pain and suffering.

Racist people suck!

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/08/elementary-students-help-rename-school-after-first-black-woman-to-graduate-from-this-nj-high-school.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=starledger_sf&utm_content=nj_starledger_twitter

“I want to make that point that Thomas Jefferson owned over 600 slaves,” Board Member Qawi Telesford said at the board’s June 29 meeting. “He freed two while he was alive and seven after he died, which basically means I have a 1.5% chance of being free in Thomas Jefferson’s world. So, I am not thankful to him. I am thankful to the people who made sure that I could actually be free and be on the board with you today.”

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/25/2022 at 8:36 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Years ago, I was at a convention in New Orleans.  We were at the bars till about 2:00.  Then, we took a $95 cab ride touring New Orleans (the cabbie loved us).  At about 4:00, we stopped at a Perkins for breakfast.  Buying the cabbie breakfast was going to be part of his tip.  Well, the Perkins was in a black neighborhood.  All of us were white and the only white people in the restaurant.  We stood there for a long time and never got seated.  There were tables that came open and other's (black) were seated.  But, the hostess never even came and greeted us.  All of us left with a new found appreciation for being treated that way.  And....no, it wasn't because we were all drunk.  By that time, we had sobered up pretty well.  That experience has stuck with me ever since.

I'm not telling this as a "aha...see, it happens the other way too".  I'm telling this to point out that none of us had ever experienced anything like that before and didn't know how it felt.  

I think the majority of white people have never experienced anything like this. I think it’s why so many really don’t understand racism and it allows them to say “I am not racist” and “systemic racism doesn’t exist” when in actuality it’s simply that they can’t or don’t want to see it.

I’ve really only experienced something like this two times. Once, in my college years, we road-tripped to the Auburn game, 1982 I believe. We spent our first night on the way down at our fraternity at Mississippi State. We were sitting on the front porch of the fraternity in the evening when a couple black guys walked by. A couple of the MSU guys yelled out things like “where ya goin boy?” It was shocking. The guys walking by just put their heads down and picked up their pace.

The other time was just a few years ago at a local Mexican restaurant. I was in line to get takeout for lunch. Two lines had formed and I was the only non-hispanic white guy in the place. When It was my turn, they simply ignored me and took about 4 orders in a row from the other line. The 4th one was a person that had been behind me in my line. It was no accident. They saw me, knew I was next and decided to wait on their hispanic customers instead of me. I haven’t gone back. As you said, this isn’t to say it also happens the other way but rather to illustrate a person really doesn’t understand what it’s like until it happens to them. And my example is extremely minor compared to what other races experience a lot more often.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
On 7/25/2022 at 7:36 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I remember getting a cab ride in New Orleans around 1995, and the cab driver being really comfortable using the "n word" around us, presumably because we were white. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is amazing stuff, but not shocking. 

Here is an article that summarizes the whole ordeal: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/08/25/rochester-new-york-firefighter-party/7892612001/

The best part was, the whole reason that the couple in that video above was holding this press conference was because they intended to file a defamation suit because they were accused of being racist. But during that very same conference, it was revealed that the woman had an active, anonymous racist twitter account.

Here are a couple more great tweets showing more:

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1