Racism - It's a real thing.

That's not how this works. They don't get to win. The only reason this exists is because of ignorance and over sensitivity. Why can't we look at this for what it really is? An expose on our culture at this moment, which is looking for any reason to get worked up (on all sides). I don't like where it came from, but you can't deny it was entirely effective at accomplishing it's intended goal.

The troll is pretty harmnless, the reaction not so much. The power that this "symbol" has, comes from people ignoring it's roots and getting worked up about it. Funny, it's kind of like Trump in that way.

It's like kids drinking fermented sewage, razor blades in Halloween candy, etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That's not how this works. They don't get to win. The only reason this exists is because of ignorance and over sensitivity. Why can't we look at this for what it really is? An expose on our culture at this moment, which is looking for any reason to get worked up (on all sides). I don't like where it came from, but you can't deny it was entirely effective at accomplishing it's intended goal.

The troll is pretty harmnless, the reaction not so much. The power that this "symbol" has, comes from people ignoring it's roots and getting worked up about it. Funny, it's kind of like Trump in that way.

It's like kids drinking fermented sewage, razor blades in Halloween candy, etc.

Why don't you just quote me? Motives matter that's all I will say. They were not playing a game.

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

The thing is does it matter if they were trolling? They WERE NOT playing a game, that I am sure of. I said from the beginning it's impossible to say what their motives are, but US cadets using 4 chan troll tactics on live national TV is concerning. The symbol may be a 'troll' but that type of trolling is far from harmless.

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Why don't you just quote me? Motives matter that's all I will say. They were not playing a game.

It's impossible to know what their motives are, but you know for sure that they weren't playing a game? How do you know that? 

Making a goofy hand symbol when you're on live TV is a sort of game. You notice how little kids get caught by a camera at sporting events and start dabbing? Are those six year olds promoting the consumption of marijuana? 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It's impossible to know what their motives are, but you know for sure that they weren't playing a game? How do you know that? 

Making a goofy hand symbol when you're on live TV is a sort of game. You notice how little kids get caught by a camera at sporting events and start dabbing? Are those six year olds promoting the consumption of marijuana? 

Because people want to be the most correct about calling out people.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I didn't quote you because it's a general response, not directed at you, specifically.

Of course motives matter, but you don't know what their motive were and it's more likely they are trolling than it is that they are white supremacists. Context also matter, alot (i.e. the 4chan back story).

34 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Because it's obvious to anyone watching. Look I'm not gonna debate about why they were doing it but you cannot in good conscious argue they were playing the circle game with each other. Its pretty easy to spot the difference between that and what they were actually doing. If you can't I'm not sure what to do for you. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I didn't quote you because it's a general response, not directed at you, specifically.

Of course motives matter, but you don't know what their motive were and it's more likely they are trolling than it is that they are white supremacists. Context also matter, alot (i.e. the 4chan back story).

I never said they were white supremacists, in my very first post I said it's likely they are trolling. I completely disagree the trolling is harmless, especially from young men training to be military officers. They should be held to the highest standard and should not be doing that immature bullcrap on TV. And whether you like it or not, the pervasiveness of the troll job by 4 chan emboldens white supremacy 

• Plus1 3

Even though we can only speculate on their motives, I think everyone can agree that the kids throwing these symbols on TV are immature jackholes, right? We should have higher standards for these guys right?

It was a once innocent gesture that has been hijacked by hate groups. The only question is whether or not these kids knew that this hand signal is now sometimes used by hate groups. If they knew, and did it anyway, f&#k 'em. 

d0c695cb5ae6882bef307374c7d8694f.jpga74ed7f4770d30c3f67a21d25e62b9ef.jpg

text-the-perfect-light-display-doesnt-ex

bird-still-think-loch-ness-is-safe

text-trap-damn-trap-trap-card-o-you-fell

getting-the-respect-they-deserve-person-

Can someone tell me if these is EITHER the circle game OR a white power hate symbol? I mean, none of them are below the waist. There is no waist. So it can't be the circle game, right? I don't see anybody being punched; they fooled me into looking at them but how are they supposed to punch me, a stranger on the internet? But it has to be either this or white power, so it must be racism? 

It's pretty clear that it doesn't have to be literally playing the game within the actual literal rules for people fooling and joking around to be inspired/informed by this as it's own sort of cultural meme.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Even though we can only speculate on their motives, I think everyone can agree that the kids throwing these symbols on TV are immature jackholes, right? We should have higher standards for these guys right?

Immature, sure. College kids generally are fairly immature. Jackholes? idk why they're jackholes, did they do something particularly mean spirited or inconsiderate or rude to somebody? 

2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The only question is whether or not these kids knew that this hand signal is now sometimes used by hate groups. If they knew, and did it anyway, f&#k 'em. 

You know hate groups use the f word? You feel comfortable using that word knowing that it's sometimes used by hate groups? If so, and you did it anyway, BUZZ OFF. 

• Thanks 1