Racism - It's a real thing.

On 12/20/2019 at 6:42 PM, ActualCornHusker said:

The findings of their "investigation" are really the only reasonable outcome that anyone could expect, and the recommendations are appropriate (pasted below). There was no way there would be evidence to show racist intent, unless they had a history of such nonsense on social media. So essentially, everything we had been discussing about this case is still correct, the kids here were being immature and ignorant and need to be educated on proper behavior. 

I put "investigation" in quotes in the paragraph above because this investigation was really only conducted for PR purposes. Since we all know there would be no way to prove intent in this case (and honestly no one ever, ever admits to being racist), an actual investigation was essentially unnecessary. The recommendations are reasonable and would have been the same even if they handled it all informally and internally. 

Listen kids, try to not be an idiot on TV. Even if you do something that unintentionally might be viewed as racist, you can find yourself in the center of some ugliness you don't want to be a part of. Especially if you are a military cadet, try to act in public with a little bit of dignity and class.

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

The findings of their "investigation" are really the only reasonable outcome that anyone could expect, and the recommendations are appropriate (pasted below). There was no way there would be evidence to show racist intent, unless they had a history of such nonsense on social media. So essentially, everything we had been discussing about this case is still correct, the kids here were being immature and ignorant and need to be educated on proper behavior. 

I put "investigation" in quotes in the paragraph above because this investigation was really only conducted for PR purposes. Since we all know there would be no way to prove intent in this case (and honestly no one ever, ever admits to being racist), an actual investigation was essentially unnecessary. The recommendations are reasonable and would have been the same even if they handled it all informally and internally. 

Listen kids, try to not be an idiot on TV. Even if you do something that unintentionally might be viewed as racist, you can find yourself in the center of some ugliness you don't want to be a part of. Especially if you are a military cadet, try to act in public with a little bit of dignity and class.

That is good advice...and I would add to it...listen everyone else, please stop thinking everything is offensive.  Dear people, most things we do are not evil, racist, nasty and mean.  So, relax a bit and enjoy life.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Ulty said:

And on the flip side of that, as teach said, people need to stop being such over sensitive triggered sissy nannies. 

Also: when someone holds up the ok sign, it's almost never a white supremacist sign, and people should be given the benefit of the doubt.

24 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

And on the flip side of that, as teach said, people need to stop being such over sensitive triggered sissy nannies. 

Also: when someone holds up the ok sign, it's almost never a white supremacist sign, and people should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Correct.  The white supremacy version is always at the waist and is that pesky WP sign vs. an OK.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

If no one is getting punched are you playing the circle game tho? Isn't that like, the purpose of the game? 

The purpose of the game is entertainment and humor. That's how you 'literally' play the game, sure, but you borrow elements of games casually all the time without actually playing the game. That's what throwing a football around is, or kids playing with marbles but not actually playing the game marbles.

That's why there are thousands and thousands of circle game memes on the internet, even though the creators didn't get to punch the internet viewers who saw them. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Landlord said:

The purpose of the game is entertainment and humor. That's how you 'literally' play the game, sure, but you borrow elements of games casually all the time without actually playing the game. That's what throwing a football around is, or kids playing with marbles but not actually playing the game marbles.

That's why there are thousands and thousands of circle game memes on the internet, even though the creators didn't get to punch the internet viewers who saw them. 

Lol you throw a football around because 2 or 3 people isn't enough to have a real football game. I'm not sure memes really apply here but alright man.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I punched my friend when I saw this happen on TV...so you can stop now.

I'd rather not because I don't think this should just slide under the rug. Wasn't even talking about the cadets anymore I'm just tired of y'all acting like 10 out of 10 times if someone does that symbol it means ok or the circle game. Unfortunately we can't be that naive in today's world.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'd rather not because I don't think this should just slide under the rug. Wasn't even talking about the cadets anymore I'm just tired of y'all acting like 10 out of 10 times if someone does that symbol it means ok or the circle game. Unfortunately we can't be that naive in today's world.

Ok :)

But...you said that if no one is getting punched...and I admitted to punching my friend...so...

Are you saying you did not mean what you said? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2