Diaco - mistakes in loss to Wisconsin are correctable

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-ohio-state-wisconsin-stats

“If you’re a fierce competitor, you don’t like sitting here at 3-3,” he said.

But he said his defense didn’t get “beat up, pushed, around or mauled” in Nebraska’s 38-17 loss to the Badgers.
“That did not happen,” Diaco told reporters Tuesday night. 

“Every single play is correctable. Not players. It was plays, and the plays are correctable. You can’t help but be encouraged, I would think. I was encouraged. I mean, [I was] disappointed, I don’t want to minimize that for Husker nation, disappointed, but encouraged for the future.”

46 minutes ago, observer3 said:

But he said his defense didn’t get “beat up, pushed, around or mauled” in Nebraska’s 38-17 loss to the Badgers.

“Every single play is correctable. Not players. It was plays, and the plays are correctable. You can’t help but be encouraged, I would think. I was encouraged. I mean, [I was] disappointed, I don’t want to minimize that for Husker nation, disappointed, but encouraged for the future.”

I appreciate the optimism, but when your D gets gashed for 3 TD's on 3 drives consisting of (IIRC) 30 plays and 28 were runs for almost 200 yards,  that is like getting beat up, pushed and mauled.

It was and is refreshing to not see him not blame the players.  And put the positive spin on it....

• Plus1 6

21 minutes ago, speedtoburn said:

Is this guy for real?

The D didn't get mauled, really??

Hahahahaha

lol

The d actually did a really good Juno up until the 4th quarter. I put the blame on the offense, they couldn’t sustain any drives in the second half. The defense was on the field almost the entire 4th quarter. They were gassed.I am actually encouraged by the defense, they are playing more aggressive and are holding points down (when the are allowed a rest). They have actually shown improvement. I’m not sure what is going on with the offense, that’s where the hottest part of the dumpster fire is

• Plus1 2

Saying things can be correctable from film study is one thing, but it is another to be able to have the player be able to make the corrections. For example, bad angles on run fits can be noticed easily with film study, but it isn't easy to fix bad habits in a game. Reps, reps, reps. And some players just never get it and that can be from high school to the pros. Some call it football instincts. 

2 hours ago, observer3 said:

Immediately before this comment, Diaco said he went to bed that night upset as he thought his defense was beat up and mauled during that game. Then, he clarified that after reviewing the tape, he believes that that did not happen and it was more about play-calling than the play of the players. This change of heart is actually disappointing for me to hear as a fan. I would rather Diaco look that the players and say "you are mentally soft and lost the game because Wisconsin's effort and want was greater than yours". The culture of losing at Nebraska is built from a lack of physicality and mental toughness. You can scheme only so much, but when you have your defenders in position to make a play and they don't, that is all player effort, not scheme. Diaco, imo, is giving a pass to the players and missing, and even unconsciously adding to, the big issue in the Nebraska program. Nebraska has a culture problem.

2 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Immediately before this comment, Diaco said he went to bed that night upset as he thought his defense was beat up and mauled during that game. Then, he clarified that after reviewing the tape, he believes that that did not happen and it was more about play-calling than the play of the players. This change of heart is actually disappointing for me to hear as a fan. I would rather Diaco look that the players and say "you are mentally soft and lost the game because Wisconsin's effort and want was greater than yours". The culture of losing at Nebraska is built from a lack of physicality and mental toughness. You can scheme only so much, but when you have your defenders in position to make a play and they don't, that is all player effort, not scheme. Diaco, imo, is giving a pass to the players and missing, and even unconsciously adding to, the big issue in the Nebraska program. Nebraska has a culture problem.

Isn't Diaco placing the blame on the coaches when he says it was play calling problem? But you'd rather he blame the players in public? Can't win scenario. And that's before considering what he says to the media may not be exactly what he's telling the players.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Gotta help set your players up for success Bobby. We knew Wisconsin was going to run the ball. Common sense football tells you to STACK the box/blitz after they have run the damn ball 20x in a row! 

I have to give him the benefit of the doubt to a great extent.

Up to the point where they drove down the field after we got the pick six they only had 10 points on offense in roughly, what, 2.5 quarters? Our defense performed well enough up to that point. It just all hit pretty quickly from that point. He should have adjusted to bring his secondary in closer to the line after that moment in hindsight, but that was just one drive.

Then they ran that same counter run play over and over on the next one, we went down by 14. Then they did it again. Being blown out was rough, but our offense didn't score a single point in the second half.

Diaco just needs to be willing to really key in on the run when the moment calls for it. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I have to give him the benefit of the doubt to a great extent.

Up to the point where they drove down the field after we got the pick six they only had 10 points on offense in roughly, what, 2.5 quarters? Our defense performed well up enough. It just all hit pretty quickly from that point. He should have adjusted to bring his secondary in closer to the line after that moment in hindsight, but that was just one drive.

Then they ran that same counter run play over and over on the next one, we went down by 14. Then they did it again. Being blown out was rough, but our offense didn't score a single point in the second half.

Diaco just needs to be willing to really key in on the run when the moment calls for it. 

Gotta have a full game of good football. Tired of the (x amount of quarters talk). Oregon hung 42 points in ONE HALF. I know we changed schemes with average talent, but I haven't been impressed with Diaco thus far.