Sellout streak

K Mark

An open letter to all Husker football fans:

Dear fellow Husker Fan,

I too am livid at the current state of affairs in Lincoln. Many records have fallen since the beginning of this experiment.

But one important record, THE most important record, is on us. A record that defines us. A record that all others would love to emulate. Our sellout streak.

I'm on bended knee asking, begging, pleading to continue to purchase game tickets and root for your team or give a chance to others who will. To bide time.

Harvey Perlman is gone. Rejoice. So our return is imminent.

The new command wants it as bad as you.

So hold tight, keep attending, and savor the changes upcoming.

And think how glorious it will look in 2020 to see on TV: OUR 375th CONSECUTIVE SELLOUT.

Instead of seeing in that same year and on that same TV: OUR 4th CONSECUTIVE SELLOUT.

Hang in there fellow Husker Fan. Help is on the way.

GBR

• Plus1 3

I was wondering how long it was going to take for this thread to appear. Now I know.

Personally I'm a little surprised the sellout streak has survived these last 20 years. It's great that it has even if, as SPH points out, it's not the same thing as butts in the seats. It would be nice if the product was actually worthy of the streak. It's all beginning to feel a bit contrived.

9 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

The sellout streak is fine for this year. Next year? That may be a different story. 

For me, thats the conundrum of keeping Riley another year. The "Where we are" thread touches on reasons it might make sense to keep Riley another year despite this season's outcome. I absolutely see the logic in keeping him another season (especially if he can pull in a good recruiting class), but sans a great recruiting class, its reasonable to think that the lack of any hope in a quality W/L in 2018 could seriously impact ticket sales.

50 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Sellout streak doesn't equal butts in seats

Very true. But even with that, it is still amazing to see a full stadium all of these years - when the product on the field wasn't worthy of such loyalty.  The "Hope Springs Eternal" crowd keeps showing up in Memorial Stadium in huge #s. That says a lot about Husker fans in general and Nebraskans in particular. 

41 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

If the stadium is noticeably empty but "sold out" the announcers might mention it.

The good thing is, since most people are larger then the allotted seat size, it could make the game more enjoyable for the people there and not be noticeable from a distance.

Are you calling Nebraskans fat?   :)   

I agree with the OP. What makes Nebraska so great is the loyalty of the fans, the way the fans travel and continue to support the team. Some will laugh, posters even here laugh, that we call ourselves the greatest fans in college football, but if you look at the sell out streak and the way Nebraska fans travel to support their Cornhuskers it really is amazing. Several Nebraska football streaks have ended during these past 3 years, but one streak I hope doesn't end is the sell out streak because it offers so much more then just a number, it really tells a tale of how loyal this fan base is.

With that said, I do think after at best a 7 win season and if Riley returns next year, the sell out streak is in great danger of ending if we start losing games early. It will sell out in the early games because fans will be excited for Nebraska football, but once the losses start piling up again next year like they have this year, the streak may end.

Sellout streak is intact this year.  Boosters and banks will buy the tickets.  Have heard many season ticket holders are done buying them if a change in HC’s is not made for next season which will really put the streak in Jeopardy.  Again, as OP said...this isn’t about the admins and showing our desire for a change.  This is a record for all of us Nebraska fans.  Keep it going!