***Official Ohio State Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

This is what happens when one team has a coach with a fire in his belly and another has rainbows and unicorns up his sleeve. You need tough love with these kids to get them to play with intensity. I have a feeling that Mike Riley just tells the team to go out there and just have fun and winning is secondary. Everyone gets a trophy for playing kind of coaching. Look at Purdue and how much they improved. They held Wisconsin to 17-9. Can you imagine what Purdue will do to us with our rainbow dancer coach.

The biggest problem with 'national' recruiting of the 4 and 5 star guys is they have always had it easy in football at the high school level and have little or nothing to do with Husker football pride and history and values.  You can sprinkle in the stars but you need to build your core / base of strength, heart and effort guys from within the Husker power sphere.   They need to grow up Husker watchers and with the heart of a lion.  I'd take all the talent and stars we can get but ONLY so long as we are getting guys like the Peter brothers and Suh and so on that will play their guts out and will literally suffer heart break and pain if the team fails to do everything it takes to win.  

This is what I think Rimington was saying about the need to look at the 'walk on' program.   We need to make dam sure we have a sh it load of Husker heart on the team.  That has to come from within the team and its core players.   Not to say out of state guys don't have the desire but many simply just don't have the kind of bond and sense of responsibility to do Husker football and its pride right.  The heart of the team and its very soul comes from the unity and honor that can only be fully appreciated and accepted if there is a large dose of it inside the team and its membership when they first arrive on campus.   This is a new generation of young people today that have a whole different outlook on life and the consequences of winning and losing and playing hard etc are just not the same, in my view, as it was a generation ago.   I think Riley is a GOOD coach and many of his staff are also GOOD coaches.   But they are just not able to instill the kind of desire, love, and passion it takes to make themselves better than they can be.  

The slogan on the wall back in the day was "Nebraska football - where to good get better!"   Now, I think we have guys are think good is good enough!   And win or lose, their scholarship carries on and its just no big deal to coast and take plays off.  

• Plus1 1

This is what happens when one team has a coach with a fire in his belly and another has rainbows and unicorns up his sleeve. You need tough love with these kids to get them to play with intensity. I have a feeling that Mike Riley just tells the team to go out there and just have fun and winning is secondary. Everyone gets a trophy for playing kind of coaching. Look at Purdue and how much they improved. They held Wisconsin to 17-9. Can you imagine what Purdue will do to us with our rainbow dancer coach.

The biggest problem with 'national' recruiting of the 4 and 5 star guys is they have always had it easy in football at the high school level and have little or nothing to do with Husker football pride and history and values.  You can sprinkle in the stars but you need to build your core / base of strength, heart and effort guys from within the Husker power sphere.   They need to grow up Husker watchers and with the heart of a lion.  I'd take all the talent and stars we can get but ONLY so long as we are getting guys like the Peter brothers and Suh and so on that will play their guts out and will literally suffer heart break and pain if the team fails to do everything it takes to win.  

This is what I think Rimington was saying about the need to look at the 'walk on' program.   We need to make dam sure we have a sh it load of Husker heart on the team.  That has to come from within the team and its core players.   Not to say out of state guys don't have the desire but many simply just don't have the kind of bond and sense of responsibility to do Husker football and its pride right.  The heart of the team and its very soul comes from the unity and honor that can only be fully appreciated and accepted if there is a large dose of it inside the team and its membership when they first arrive on campus.   This is a new generation of young people today that have a whole different outlook on life and the consequences of winning and losing and playing hard etc are just not the same, in my view, as it was a generation ago.   I think Riley is a GOOD coach and many of his staff are also GOOD coaches.   But they are just not able to instill the kind of desire, love, and passion it takes to make themselves better than they can be.  

The slogan on the wall back in the day was "Nebraska football - where to good get better!"   Now, I think we have guys that think good is good enough!   And win or lose, their scholarship carries on and its just no big deal to coast and take plays off.  

Edited by 84HuskerLaw

I can't wait for the hilarity of the circus as we try to lure a decent coach to this infected environment. I predict it WILL be Scott Frost after all is said and done, and misery will somehow manage to intensify over the next two years until he gets fired and we hire Adam Carriker, the "bone-throwing" coach on the sideline. Not sure who comes after him, though.

3 minutes ago, Spammytodd said:

Is there any chance no recruits are watching??

At this point we have to not worry about the recruits.  We have the talent to be in a closer game with OSU, and the talent to beat Wisconsin, NIU, and Oregon, and because of coaching, we are not competitive.  We could have a roster of top 5 talent for 5 straight seasons and be losing to OSU by 2 or 3 TDs right now.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Riley has to be fired or some how forced to resign after this game. They cant alliw him to keep do this enough is enough. He doesn't care so let him go.

I said this a few weeks ago. We can finish with a winning season, but MR, Langs and Diaco all need to go. Get someone in to finish the season and give these kids a chance to represent NU football.