brophog

** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

https://ucf.rivals.com/news/scott-frost-press-conference-maryland-week

Watch this press conference prior to the Maryland game. Even at Oregon he spoke like this, not just like a coach, but like a head coach. Great demeanor, understands the media's role. Honest, humble, and forthright. These are things that are common to other press conferences he's had over the years, but this one is of course different because of Irma's tremendous impact on that program. Notice his priorities in life, even in the already stressful life of a college coach.

If you want a guy that represents Nebraska and all of those intangibles we like to say collegiate athletics are about...

Spoiler

And a plus, he talks like a coach, with actual plays and everything. "The spread" is not an offense, sounds like you're at the deli counter when you say that.

• Plus1 2

I think the video is worth watching, especially to the folks that want more context on why this guy might be a candidate despite his lack of experience. This is certainly an unique experience UCF is going through, and to see how a head coach handles his schedule being turned upside down is enlightening. We don't get to see this side of coaches very often.

6 hours ago, Chumpy34 said:

We should start a GoFundMe page to buy a billboard in the Orlando/UCF area with some catchy message for Scott! :)

Nebraska: We don't have hurricanes.

• Plus1 9

10 hours ago, unlfan said:

Simply too unproven for me. I love Nebraska guys. But if the answer to the question "Would this guy be considered if he wasn't a Nebraska alum?" is no, im going to pass.

Same applies to Trev.

I will be VERY disappointed if we end up with the Trev/Frost combo.

Honestly, if you would take away his name and just listed Frost's accomplishments in his playing and coaching career, I think he has a great resume for a prospective coaching hire.  I think people try to check too many boxes when saying "I think they should go after this coach...". Simply put, the best coaches tend to have been hired with some risks. You just got to be willing to go for the home run hire. 

• Plus1 4

17 hours ago, brophog said:

https://ucf.rivals.com/news/scott-frost-press-conference-maryland-week

Watch this press conference prior to the Maryland game. Even at Oregon he spoke like this, not just like a coach, but like a head coach. Great demeanor, understands the media's role. Honest, humble, and forthright. These are things that are common to other press conferences he's had over the years, but this one is of course different because of Irma's tremendous impact on that program. Notice his priorities in life, even in the already stressful life of a college coach.

If you want a guy that represents Nebraska and all of those intangibles we like to say collegiate athletics are about...

Reveal hidden contents

And a plus, he talks like a coach, with actual plays and everything. "The spread" is not an offense, sounds like you're at the deli counter when you say that.

This actually describes Mike Riley too.

27 minutes ago, Redux said:

If we end up with Scott Frost and he tanks us, how are yall gonna cope?

I've always wondered this too. He has been seen as the future savior for so long, what happens if he sucks? Or, worse, flat out refuses the job when offered. Might have to have some serious counseling on the board

1 minute ago, HuskerJax said:

I've always wondered this too. He has been seen as the future savior for so long, what happens if he sucks? Or, worse, flat out refuses the job when offered. Might have to have some serious counseling on the board

If he sucks, he sucks. One of the great things about the linked video is how it humanizes the job. Humans make mistakes, and sometimes need to be replaced. 

• Plus1 2

38 minutes ago, Redux said:

I'd say we all got it out of our systems, we tried our guy, a Nebraska guy and it didn't work out, so then we all can move on and maybe that is what Nebraska would need to move forward and move on rather then dwelling on the 90's.

Then again he could work out and be here for 30 years.

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, Redux said:

Good news is that he can't really "tanks us" as we're already near the bottom.

If Scott Frost comes to town and the program is still in the s#!tter with no sign of improvement, then that's what happens.

There is really no point of having a wish-list for coaches. Same thing always happens. You want this guy, the University gets that guy, you support him, it doesn't work out.

Only exception to that was Bo. I felt like a lot of people felt that Bo would bring back the blackshirts. That never happened.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

If Scott Frost comes to town and the program is still in the s#!tter with no sign of improvement, then that's what happens.

There is really no point of having a wish-list for coaches. Same thing always happens. You want this guy, the University gets that guy, you support him, it doesn't work out.

Only exception to that was Bo. I felt like a lot of people felt that Bo would bring back the blackshirts. That never happened.

Eh, 2009 I felt like they were back. Problem was we didn't have an offense that year. Seems like the D and O can never be on the same page.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Eh, 2009 I felt like they were back. Problem was we didn't have an offense that year. Seems like the D and O can never be on the same page.

Our defense was pretty solid in 2009, but mostly because we had a #2 overall draft-pick that was recruited by Billy. The problem with Husker football is we only ever have a single ingredient for success at the college level, and to be elite, you need to be pretty solid throughout.

Look into his staff. Scott looks like he is surrounded by some young, talented coaches. Troy Walters seems to be a star in the making as an O Coordinator. Stanford education doesn't seem to hurt either. They have youth and energy in the coaching staff. The question is, is there too much lack of big time experience?

Just now, Sker4Ever said:

Look into his staff. Scott looks like he is surrounded by some young, talented coaches. Troy Walters seems to be a star in the making as an O Coordinator. Stanford education doesn't seem to hurt either. They have youth and energy in the coaching staff. The question is, is there too much lack of big time experience?

It's why I would be willing to be patient in his first 3 years to let him learn and figure things out knowing there was a good chance of improvement.

13 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I did, too. That was a fun year.

31 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I'd say we all got it out of our systems, we tried our guy, a Nebraska guy and it didn't work out, so then we all can move on and maybe that is what Nebraska would need to move forward and move on rather then dwelling on the 90's.

Then again he could work out and be here for 30 years.

Should a 'Nebraska guy' failure be the caveat for getting it out of our systems, though? I struggle with that. Eventually, Nebraska is going to have to win without the Nebraska guys from the glory days.

Let's say Frost is interested if the position opens up one day - the only reason you hire him is because he's the best candidate available. His history can be a tiebreaker but it should be nowhere near the top of the priority list.

11 hours ago, unlfan said:

Simply too unproven for me. I love Nebraska guys. But if the answer to the question "Would this guy be considered if he wasn't a Nebraska alum?" is no, im going to pass.

I think he would, NU fans are not the only people high on Frost. Doesn't necessarily mean we should hire him either, but there's a lot to like imo.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/24/coaching-carousel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires

6. Scott Frost, UCF: A Chip Kelly disciple with NFL ties, Frost has gotten folks excited around Orlando after taking a team that went winless the year before he arrived to a bowl game in his first season. I’ll be surprised if Frost doesn’t get the Knights to double-digit wins before too long. He’s very marketable, but he also has arguably the top non–Power 5 head coaching job in the country right now, and he will be choosy.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Enhance said:

Should a 'Nebraska guy' failure be the caveat for getting it out of our systems, though? I struggle with that. Eventually, Nebraska is going to have to win without the Nebraska guys from the glory days.

Let's say Frost is interested if the position opens up one day - the only reason you hire him is because he's the best candidate available. His history can be a tiebreaker but it should be nowhere near the top of the priority list.

I think there are a lot of benefits with trying Frost, of course though there are risks just like any other hire. I think with many coaching jobs, excluding some of the elite, who the coach is as a person determines a lot of how successful he is at the school. Frost brings that passion, he's young and has the energy, and it is his home. You are right in that everything should be looked at when giving this job to someone, but I just think Frost has more benefits then negatives.

And if it doesn't work out, all the people who are tired of other Nebraska fans thinking we need someone from the 90s to succeed can finally say they got their chance, it didn't work and lets all move on. Froste is really the only coach available out there from those glory years that if he didn't work out I do think majority of fans would think we tried it and its time to move on.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, famoustitles said:

Literally the same as if any other coach tanked. 

But it's not though.  We have become the school that fires 9 win coaches, at least that's how others see us.  Imagine the perception if we fire one of our own after a handfull of 7-9 win seasons.

The problem is patience, revenue, boosters, etc. If you go after Frost right now, and he's a failure, that's multiple more years of an empty trophy case and apathy among the fan base. 

That's a huge risk if you ended up leaving a candidate on the table who was clearly a better candidate.

What I've seen from him is pretty smart football, best thing is to take a look tomorrow for those unfamiliar, their game vs Maryland is on at 3pm, so 2pm Nebraska time(Fox spurts 1). Maybe catch the first 30 before Huskers play.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

The problem is patience, revenue, boosters, etc. If you go after Frost right now, and he's a failure, that's multiple more years of an empty trophy case and apathy among the fan base. 

That's a huge risk if you ended up leaving a candidate on the table who was clearly a better candidate.

If we can get a clearly better candidate I think they'll pull the trigger on that option. Though being a clearly better candidate can be subjective.

Just now, alwayshusking said:

If we can get a clearly better candidate I think they'll pull the trigger on that option. Though being a clearly better candidate can be subjective.

Very true. I just didn't want to take the time to put in all the qualifiers for that statement :lol:.

My biggest question on Frost right now is recruiting. Oregon fans said he wasn't very good at it there. He'd need to assemble an aggressive staff of recruiters as well as good coaches.

I think he'd be a quality coach but if he can't bring in the horses he'll end up in a similar place to Pelini.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Redux said:

But it's not though.  We have become the school that fires 9 win coaches, at least that's how others see us.  Imagine the perception if we fire one of our own after a handfull of 7-9 win seasons.

i think the other schools see us as unable to play hard when it counts.........they don't see our 9 wins as any real accomplishment.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I want a winner.  I'm tired of resumes.

this guy has excelled at everything he has ever done.  Let's win already.

i wanted Moglia instead of Riley.  One of 3 people on Huskerboard.  He's a winner.

9 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

My biggest question on Frost right now is recruiting. Oregon fans said he wasn't very good at it there. He'd need to assemble an aggressive staff of recruiters as well as good coaches.

I think he'd be a quality coach but if he can't bring in the horses he'll end up in a similar place to Pelini.

I'm concerned about that, too. I'm not sure he really enjoys that part.  But assistants play a big part in recruiting because that's where the relationships are. Head coaches are closers. I wonder if Frosts grounded nature can sell him to mamas....that's huge when your getting their baby boy to come halfway across the country.

48 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

If NU were to reach out and when it's all said and done I hope they do there's the chance that he stays right where he is.  If so then you just have to move on and hope that whomever it is that ends up as our next head coach actually for good reason of course instills some excitement back into this program among other things of course.   

Little frat star is nervous as f#*k.

If we want frost, we will get him. I go back to the story about my flight last year to the Oregon game. Sat next to some Oregon guy well connected with the program and he said frost has made it clear NU is his dream job. Was this guy blowing smoke, maybe. But why would he be, hell he was the one that brought it up. 

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

i think the other schools see us as unable to play hard when it counts.........they don't see our 9 wins as any real accomplishment.

No fan base thinks we are stellar, but I do hear over and over how we fire winning coaches because we are stuck in the 90's.  It's idiot KSUucks or Mizzery mostly that spew the nonsese, but other fans too.

1 hour ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Seems like they haven't been for years.

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

No fan base thinks we are stellar, but I do hear over and over how we fire winning coaches because we are stuck in the 90's.  It's idiot KSUucks or Mizzery mostly that spew the nonsese, but other fans too.

I think the disconnect from other fan bases is they also view us as a program incapable of winning at a high level again and some view us as a fan base that should satisfied with the levels of mediocrity they've been accustomed to.

Just now, Enhance said:

I think the disconnect from other fan bases is they also view us as a program incapable of winning at a high level again and some view us as a fan base that should satisfied with the levels of mediocrity they've been accustomed to.

I just like how most of them reference us as stuck in the 90's when most of the others don't have an era to be stuck in.

• Plus1 4

Just now, Redux said:

I just like how most of them reference us as stuck in the 90's when most of the others don't have an era to be stuck in.

It all comes back to resentment and jealousy.

1 hour ago, Hunter94 said:

Agreed, The 9 wins were fine, the problem was that the losses were all high profile games in prime time not to mention some serious blow outs.

• Plus1 1

Honestly, we are stuck in the 90's aren't we?  That is the last thing we have to hang our hats on isn't it?  Embrace it yet.  So what if thats what it is.  The more fans try to deny this fact, the more unrealistic we seem.  Doesn't every program clamour for the good old days of winning titles?

So what.  Its true, we are stuck in the 90's.  Chancellor said it yesterday as well.  He would like to see this program look like it did in the 90's.  

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

If Scott sucks at least we'll know that he took the job in earnest to try and bring us back.  It's not because he was about to get flushed out of the NFL, is actively seeking a better job or on the ROADS program.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, unlfan said:

Same applies to Trev.

I will be VERY disappointed if we end up with the Trev/Frost combo.

Word. Stick with Coach Riley. He's a class act, and he's just now starting to bring some decent recruits on board. Clearing the back stock takes time. My only complaint with Coach R. is that he should have cleared the bench last year and booted several of the old order. There were horrible attitude issues left from the old regime.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, famoustitles said:

Literally the same as if any other coach tanked. 

Is anyone talking about another coach with as little experience as Frost, though?

There's a lot to like about Frost. He wouldn't be my first choice. If the top 3-5 guys that Nebraska wanted to hire said no though, then I would be fine hiring him as a backup option.

There's two things I really like about Frost (not related to him playing at Nebraska specifically). First, he's been both an offensive coordinator (Oregon) and a defensive coordinator (UNI). That gives him a strong grasp of both offensive and defensive football and how they play off each other.

Second, look at the football minds he learned from as a player and coach. Frost has learned under Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, Bill Snyder and Chip Kelly. That's quite the education in football. Most coaches would kill for an apprenticeship like that.

• Plus1 2