** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

6 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Good news is that he can't really "tanks us" as we're already near the bottom.

If Scott Frost comes to town and the program is still in the s#!tter with no sign of improvement, then that's what happens.

There is really no point of having a wish-list for coaches. Same thing always happens. You want this guy, the University gets that guy, you support him, it doesn't work out.

Only exception to that was Bo. I felt like a lot of people felt that Bo would bring back the blackshirts. That never happened.

Eh, 2009 I felt like they were back. Problem was we didn't have an offense that year. Seems like the D and O can never be on the same page.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Eh, 2009 I felt like they were back. Problem was we didn't have an offense that year. Seems like the D and O can never be on the same page.

Our defense was pretty solid in 2009, but mostly because we had a #2 overall draft-pick that was recruited by Billy. The problem with Husker football is we only ever have a single ingredient for success at the college level, and to be elite, you need to be pretty solid throughout.

Look into his staff. Scott looks like he is surrounded by some young, talented coaches. Troy Walters seems to be a star in the making as an O Coordinator. Stanford education doesn't seem to hurt either. They have youth and energy in the coaching staff. The question is, is there too much lack of big time experience?

• Haha 1
Just now, Sker4Ever said:

Look into his staff. Scott looks like he is surrounded by some young, talented coaches. Troy Walters seems to be a star in the making as an O Coordinator. Stanford education doesn't seem to hurt either. They have youth and energy in the coaching staff. The question is, is there too much lack of big time experience?

It's why I would be willing to be patient in his first 3 years to let him learn and figure things out knowing there was a good chance of improvement.

31 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I'd say we all got it out of our systems, we tried our guy, a Nebraska guy and it didn't work out, so then we all can move on and maybe that is what Nebraska would need to move forward and move on rather then dwelling on the 90's.

Then again he could work out and be here for 30 years.

Should a 'Nebraska guy' failure be the caveat for getting it out of our systems, though? I struggle with that. Eventually, Nebraska is going to have to win without the Nebraska guys from the glory days.

Let's say Frost is interested if the position opens up one day - the only reason you hire him is because he's the best candidate available. His history can be a tiebreaker but it should be nowhere near the top of the priority list.

11 hours ago, unlfan said:

Simply too unproven for me. I love Nebraska guys. But if the answer to the question "Would this guy be considered if he wasn't a Nebraska alum?" is no, im going to pass.

I think he would, NU fans are not the only people high on Frost. Doesn't necessarily mean we should hire him either, but there's a lot to like imo.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/24/coaching-carousel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires

6. Scott Frost, UCF: A Chip Kelly disciple with NFL ties, Frost has gotten folks excited around Orlando after taking a team that went winless the year before he arrived to a bowl game in his first season. I’ll be surprised if Frost doesn’t get the Knights to double-digit wins before too long. He’s very marketable, but he also has arguably the top non–Power 5 head coaching job in the country right now, and he will be choosy.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Enhance said:

Should a 'Nebraska guy' failure be the caveat for getting it out of our systems, though? I struggle with that. Eventually, Nebraska is going to have to win without the Nebraska guys from the glory days.

Let's say Frost is interested if the position opens up one day - the only reason you hire him is because he's the best candidate available. His history can be a tiebreaker but it should be nowhere near the top of the priority list.

I think there are a lot of benefits with trying Frost, of course though there are risks just like any other hire. I think with many coaching jobs, excluding some of the elite, who the coach is as a person determines a lot of how successful he is at the school. Frost brings that passion, he's young and has the energy, and it is his home. You are right in that everything should be looked at when giving this job to someone, but I just think Frost has more benefits then negatives.

And if it doesn't work out, all the people who are tired of other Nebraska fans thinking we need someone from the 90s to succeed can finally say they got their chance, it didn't work and lets all move on. Froste is really the only coach available out there from those glory years that if he didn't work out I do think majority of fans would think we tried it and its time to move on.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, famoustitles said:

Literally the same as if any other coach tanked. 

But it's not though.  We have become the school that fires 9 win coaches, at least that's how others see us.  Imagine the perception if we fire one of our own after a handfull of 7-9 win seasons.

The problem is patience, revenue, boosters, etc. If you go after Frost right now, and he's a failure, that's multiple more years of an empty trophy case and apathy among the fan base. 

That's a huge risk if you ended up leaving a candidate on the table who was clearly a better candidate.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

The problem is patience, revenue, boosters, etc. If you go after Frost right now, and he's a failure, that's multiple more years of an empty trophy case and apathy among the fan base. 

That's a huge risk if you ended up leaving a candidate on the table who was clearly a better candidate.

If we can get a clearly better candidate I think they'll pull the trigger on that option. Though being a clearly better candidate can be subjective.

Just now, alwayshusking said:

If we can get a clearly better candidate I think they'll pull the trigger on that option. Though being a clearly better candidate can be subjective.

Very true. I just didn't want to take the time to put in all the qualifiers for that statement :lol:.

• Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic