** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

23 minutes ago, FTW said:

17-13 record at Nebraska is a winner to you? I guess Bill Callahan's 27-22 record at Nebraska "mathematically" makes him a big winner in your book. 

Yes. That is literally the mathematical and precisely the definition of a winner. When you do it more than you lose. Sure, neither won enough but there is no way you can argue that they were losers. 

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

It means he uses the forward pass.  Read some of the posts from our fellow posters and you'll see all they want to do is rush the ball.

They threw for 178 with 30 attempts today and ran for 250 in a game AT Maryland averaging 6 yards a carry and won 38-10 with zero turnovers. I would take that offense every day.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, alwayshusking said:

Would we beat Maryland by 28 on the road? Probably not. Shouldn't be the only requirement but UCF is probably better than we are already.

I had the same thought while watching the game.  Scott wants to build something at UCF and he is off to a good start.  Are the resources available at Nebraska enough better than at UCF to convince him that building something here with a lower starting point is a good idea?  He may decide that continuing with what he started at UCF is the best choice.  Not sure he would come here if offered.  Not sure he would go anywhere until after the season following this season.  If he does leave after this season it might make sense to go to a P5 program that isn't as bad off as our program will be.  He could be asking himself if it wasn"t for being a former Husker would he even consider taking the Nebraska HC job.

Frost's resume is quite impressive regardless of Nebraska ties

- Played under Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, Bill Bellicheck and Jon Gruden. 

- Played quarterback in college // played safety in the NFL, was successful at both.

- Linebackers coach and defensive coordinator at UNI (defense was ranked 13th in the country when he was DC)

- Wide receivers coach and offensive coordinator at Oregon, where his teams played for MNC's and his quarterback won the Heisman

- Huge turnaround in year one as a head coach, with a big time P5 win in year 2 (last year his defense improved roughly 70 spots in total defense nationally, 98 spot improvement in turnovers)

- Won a national championship as a player, and a coach, and has coached in plenty of big time environments

• Plus1 1

Frost's resume is quite impressive regardless of Nebraska ties

- Played under Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, Bill Bellicheck and Jon Gruden. 

- Played quarterback in college // played safety in the NFL, was successful at both.

- Linebackers coach and defensive coordinator at UNI (defense was ranked 13th in the country when he was DC)

- Wide receivers coach and offensive coordinator at Oregon, where his teams played for MNC's and his quarterback won the Heisman

- Huge turnaround in year one as a head coach, with a big time P5 win in year 2 (last year his defense improved roughly 70 spots in total defense nationally, 98 spot improvement in turnovers)

- Won a national championship as a player, and a coach, and has coached in plenty of big time environments

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention the most important one - he was on the cover of NCAA Gamebreaker '99

37792-ncaa-gamebreaker-99-playstation-fr

• Plus1 2

Scott Frost is probably too humble to do this, but who wouldn't go into every interview sporting a copy of gamebreaker 99 in their pocket. "So why should we hire you." "Well, as you can see, I was on the cover of gamebreaker 99"...

Boom. Sold.

On a side note: Anyone else remember playing gamebreaker against your friends and it was cheating to play as the 95 huskers? Those were the days...

I think we need to hire the best young coach available, but I also want a coach who will be here long term and not use us as a stepping stone to the NFL or any other coaching job.  Scott Frost seems to me to be the best combination of the two. 

Ideally, we could let him coach a couple more years at UCF to get a better idea of his abilities.  But would you rather gamble with Frost now, or give Riley two more years?

Frost has been a successful coach every year as OC, DC, and HC:

1st year as HC took a 0-12 team to 6-7, the biggest win turnaround in the country (+6).  Riley was -3.

2-0 so far this year.

OC at Oregon (year, total Offense, scoring O, rush O, pass O)

2015   5, 5, 5, 36

2014   3, 4, 20, 10

2013   2, 4, 9, 21

One year as DC at Northern Iowa (2008) - total D 23rd, scoring D 9th.

With his obvious ties/history at Nebraska, he knows the culture, history and attitude of Nebraska, and would likely stay for a long time.

I would love to see him go with the Nebraska physical, tough, smashmouth attitude vs the Oregon fast attack.  I think that approach also helps defenses.

Today in UCF win over Maryland, Rushing 39-250 yds, Passing 30-178yds.

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Scott Frost is probably too humble to do this, but who wouldn't go into every interview sporting a copy of gamebreaker 99 in their pocket. "So why should we hire you." "Well, as you can see, I was on the cover of gamebreaker 99"...

Boom. Sold.

On a side note: Anyone else remember playing gamebreaker against your friends and it was cheating to play as the 95 huskers? Those were the days...

Who the heck played Gamebreaker? It couldn't come anywhere near the EA Sports NCAA football franchise. 

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Jim Hammer said:

But would you rather gamble with Frost now, or give Riley two more years?

Gamble with Frost now.

It would be a gamble, but it's not like it gets much worse than losing to a mid-major with their backup QB, and going life and death with the likes of Arkansas State and Rutgers.

He may not be the guy to bring championships back to Lincoln, but he's not going to be worse than Riley.

Then again we could realistically say that about almost anyone.  Heh.  It would just be a gut punch to miss out on him and see him be successful somewhere else.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Gamble with Frost now.

It would be a gamble, but it's not like it gets much worse than losing to a mid-major with their backup QB, and going life and death with the likes of Arkansas State and Rutgers.

He may not be the guy to bring championships back to Lincoln, but he's not going to be worse than Riley.

Then again we could realistically say that about almost anyone.  Heh.

I am with you.  If you are going for the home run hire, there are always going to be risks and gambles.  The hire of Riley was anything but a gamble.  It was a decision to hire the one coach in college football who was the complete antithesis of Bo Pelini.

If Frost is a home run, he could set NU up to compete for championships for the next 10-15-20 years.  Or he could also flame out within 5 years.  Those are the risks of hiring a coach.

I also think that people on here want "all the boxes checked".  There aren't many coaches out there that do that.

• Plus1 1
  • Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic