** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

People point out that Frost doesn't have the experience to be a head coach at the Big Ten level.  Looking at James Franklin's experience, Frost has much of the same resume that Franklin did before he was hired at Penn State. Both had years of assistant coaching experience, working through smaller colleges into bigger ones.  Both offensive coordinators for 2-3 years before getting a head coaching job.  Franklin was a Vandy for 3 years.  In terms of success, Central Florida is very similar to Vandy.  The only thing Vandy has over UCF is conference affiliation.  But, over the past 20 years, UCF has been a more successful program than Vandy.

Yeah, I think my 'theoretical ideal' HC candidate has to have some recent-ish coordinator experience at a top-tier program. I mentioned this in another thread, but it seems like a lot of these guys who built their careers by overachieving at bottom-feeder schools, it's like their whole system is built around compensating for weak athletes, and then they don't know what to do with good players when they can get them.

If you do go for a guy whose recent experience was all at lower-tier schools, the biggest thing I want to see is long-term consistency. A coach's reputation can soar on the back of a couple good seasons, but often it seems like it wasn't so much their coaching ability that produced the results as it was the players, like they happened to get lucky with a QB that turned out to be great.

• Plus1 1

The thing is there is no home-run out there available unless you have a pipe dream of Bob Stoops or Chip Kelly.  Stoops is probably retired for good but maybe a Notre Dame could "possibly" interest him and Kelly I would doubt would come here when he would have other job options that have easier recruiting (he does not like to recruit).  

Then any coach we are looking at probably does not check off every box.  Frost is probably going to check off many of the boxes though.  There are very little coaches out there that will be options that will check off the boxes better than Frost. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, GBRFAN said:

What would people think if SF was brought in as OC with a deal to become HC in 3 years? Frost gets paid just south of 1M yearly and then in 2020 MR retires with SF getting 3M or whatever the going rate is?  

What do you think if I move you halfway across the country, give you a demotion, then pay you half of your current pay with the promise in 3 years of less than or near industry average.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Dabo took time though. Are you patient enough for that? It's a fair question.

If we don't go for the "good resume guy," at some point we're going to have to ask ourselves who we're willing to be patient for.

Maybe Frost is that guy. It's definitely not Riley. 

I think Frost would get more patience as he's the prodigal son returning so to speak.  I think his resume, much less years than some, shows he has the ability to win and field competent teams/positions.  I think he also has the "it" factor of a winner.  At UCF, he has a staff that appear to be doing well in statistical categories one can measure.  I believe he also had the highest ranked glass in the conference.  I know people will say how easy it is to recruit in Florida, but remember there's UF, FSU, Miami, USF, as well as most national programs grabbing talent.  

Unsure what dire direction the new AD will take. Unsure if Riley even gets fired.  Unsure what other coaches will be available/interested when and if Rileys fired.  I think hiring Frost would create an uptick in positive coverage, I think it'd highlight his playing career which would be great to show recruits the success NU used to have etc....

If he is a risk and Riley was the safe way, I'll roll the dice every time.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

What would people think if SF was brought in as OC with a deal to become HC in 3 years? Frost gets paid just south of 1M yearly and then in 2020 MR retires with SF getting 3M or whatever the going rate is?  

Frost makes $1.7 mill + right now. I don't know we'd get him for any price.

34 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

I think you need to lay off the good stuff for a while.

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Well, we better hurry while the "Frost/Winter is Coming" promos still make sense.

In the fall you can always use things like Frost warning, Frost expected....wintery advisory etc.... Or like you said, if hired early enough you can use those heading into the winter. 

Like you said, gotta strike while the iron is hot.

• Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic