** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

10 minutes ago, girlknowsfootball said:

So as a hypothetical what if...

lets say Tennessee, Florida, UCLA, and Texas A&M all approach Scott Frost as their #1 choice for their next Head Coach. 

Lets say one of those schools offers him over 5 million but wants him to agree to the job secretly before end of season. Let's say Nebraska waits to fire Riley because our AD is assessing the situation and wants to give it some time. 

If Frost is gone and we don't get a shot at him... what's plan B? 

If Frost was not an option, then would the fans be more open to giving Riley another season? Or would they still say fire him and go for another coach. IF we take Frost off the table who do we hire who has multiple seasons of proven winning with low talent, good culture, quick turn around, power 5 experience, is a Nebraska fit, and a big name with recruiting clout? Can you think of someone who fits all that? 

Or do you keep Riley and go on this big PR stunt that his job is safe and his coaching is not the problem, talent is... so that we can try to put a good recruiting class together? 

If you are trying to terrify me for Halloween, its working.

• Plus1 6

9 minutes ago, girlknowsfootball said:

lets say Tennessee, Florida, UCLA, and Texas A&M all approach Scott Frost as their #1 choice for their next Head Coach. 

Lets say one of those schools offers him over 5 million but wants him to agree to the job secretly before end of season. Let's say Nebraska waits to fire Riley because our AD is assessing the situation and wants to give it some time. 

If Frost was not an option, then would the fans be more open to giving Riley another season? Or would they still say fire him and go for another coach. IF we take Frost off the table who do we hire who has multiple seasons of proven winning with low talent, good culture, quick turn around, power 5 experience, is a Nebraska fit, and a big name with recruiting clout? Can you think of someone who fits all that? 

Or do you keep Riley and go on this big PR stunt that his job is safe and his coaching is not the problem, talent is... so that we can try to put a good recruiting class together? 

Just cancel next season if Riley is retained. No amount of PR would sit well with the fan base. Nebraska could have top 5 recruiting classes for a couple of years and Riley wouldn't know what to do with them. 

Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, Arkansas State...Say those out loud. They sound as bad as they look.

3 years is enough time for a staff to either fix it or hit the door. Riley is a good guy and I like most of the coaches on the staff, but a change is needed. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Just cancel next season if Riley is retained. No amount of PR would sit well with the fan base. Nebraska could have top 5 recruiting classes for a couple of years and Riley wouldn't know what to do with them. 

Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, Arkansas State...Say those out loud. They sound as bad as they look.

3 years is enough time for a staff to either fix it or hit the door. Riley is a good guy and I like most of the coaches on the staff, but a change is needed. 

So then if Frost is not an option who is the right guy for the job? 

1 hour ago, girlknowsfootball said:

McElwain?

Why would he come here.  He has already done the rebuild, the players have bought in and it appears to be working.  I know the answer is going to be give him more money.  But he has made it across the river, landed the boat, established a command with the fans in absolute support.  Expectations at Iowa State are not quite what they are here.  The job here is not only getting the kids here, but trying to satisfy what are considered the most unrealistic fans in the sport (I think maybe Florida just passed us possibly). 

Does he have interest in Nebraska?  I don't know where he went to school?  Any connection at all?

I would be all in on it, as he has accomplished far more than Coach Frost at this level, and did it at a place that is not know for that level of play.  Knocking off two top 5 teams in a month is pretty impressive.   Again no problems with Coach Frost or any other truly qualified coach.  Just being realistic.  But I do not want Chip Kelley for any reason.

20 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

Matt Campbell at Iowa State 

Ken Niumatololo-Navy HC

Troy Calhoun-AF HC

Brent Venables-DC Clemson

Chad Morris-HC SMU

Greg Shiano-DC OSU

Jason Candle-HC Toledo (took over for Campbell)

Scott Satterfield-App St HC

Joe Morehead- PSU OC

Stoops-Dream Get

Those are a few I'd like.  I'm biased towards Frost.  

Obviously, my choice in offensive guys is skewed to guys who are run heavy (Morris more of a spread/option offense).  Greg and Brent putting up solid Defenses...

Stoops knows Nebraska, the recruiting, has been a consistent winner.  Likes to run, can recruit etc.....

Going to be real intersecting.  Playing devil's advocate.  If Frost is interested in leaving and entertaining offers he might put them all of until the ed of the season.  Unfortunately, with teams firing coaches now, they might press for a solid answer now.  If NU has concerns, put your feelers out now and (say it's Frost) offer now to be named at the end of the season.  This way UF, UT etc call he can say he is not interested knowing he is going with NU....

Regardless, even with the names above (some more than less) NU will have one chance to get this right and will need to willing to spend an obnoxious amount of cash to get it done.  i.e. Diaco's $840k this year was being paid to stop the run and win the West...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, girlknowsfootball said:

No agent worth their commission would let their client do this. 

• Plus1 7
37 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Why would he come here.  He has already done the rebuild, the players have bought in and it appears to be working.  I know the answer is going to be give him more money.  But he has made it across the river, landed the boat, established a command with the fans in absolute support.  Expectations at Iowa State are not quite what they are here.  The job here is not only getting the kids here, but trying to satisfy what are considered the most unrealistic fans in the sport (I think maybe Florida just passed us possibly). 

Does he have interest in Nebraska?  I don't know where he went to school?  Any connection at all?

I would be all in on it, as he has accomplished far more than Coach Frost at this level, and did it at a place that is not know for that level of play.  Knocking off two top 5 teams in a month is pretty impressive.   Again no problems with Coach Frost or any other truly qualified coach.  Just being realistic.  But I do not want Chip Kelley for any reason.

Because at some point he will hit his ceiling at Iowa St and most coaches are competitive and want to hit their own peak with the resources a bigger school is able to provide them. No matter how good of a coach he is, Iowa St or UCF for that matter will never be able to provide the resources these coaches need to win a national chanpionship and trust me, that is every coaches goal. If they say otherwise they are lying. Yes bigger schools can provide more money and resources than schools like Iowa St and UCF. Hell, Frost has to use his own salary to help pay asst coaches salaries to keep them around. Thats why you see successful coaches at small schools leave every single year for bigger and better opportunities. 

Edited by Rike Miley
  • Plus1 1

Going to ask a serious question and im sure its been covered before but since were here now ill ask it again.  Given the fact that Bo had quite a few 9 and 10 win seasons would we of kept him around if he not only didnt have a bad attitude on the sidelines and wasnt an debacle with the whole nebraska fans thing and the offered other jobs thing...etc etc.  Would you of wanted to keep him around.  Because even though we werent awesome we did have a couple big 12 title appearances and a few Big 12 north division titles on that also.  Because people are on here saying we would be looking for a new coach in 3 years like we are now if we had that kind of record because i honestly just dont see it.  I think frost comes here, he builds a respectable program both on and off the field.  I would think we would give him all the time in the world.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

Because at some point he will hit his ceiling at Iowa St and most coaches are competitive and want to hit their own peak with the resources a bigger school is able to provide them. No matter how good of a coach he is, Iowa St or UCF for that matter will never be able to provide the resources these coaches need to win a national chanpionship and trust me, that is every coaches goal. If they say otherwise they are lying. Yes bigger schools can provide more money and resources than schools like Iowa St and UCF. Hell, Frost has to use his own salary to help pay asst coaches salaries to keep them around. Thats why you see successful coaches at small schools leave every single year for bigger and better opportunities. 

mostly agree, but I don't think that's every coaches goal or, to put it differently, their most important priority. Several division one football coaches could've taken leaps to larger jobs by this point but have chosen to stay at their respective schools. Pat Fitzgerald and Gary Patterson are two names that come to mind.

It all comes down to the coach, naturally. If Frost has aspirations of going as far up the coaching tree as he can and competing for national titles then UCF isn't the place to do that.

Iowa State is small compared to Nebraska and all Big10 and SEC schools no question.  But they draw a lot of money from the Conference TV pay.   All teams now can pay the going rate if they want to win.  Almost every major conference team has facilities close or equal to ours.  It isn't like it used to be.  We were a bully Now there are a lot of big boys with all the toys.

Again a question of ethics on what happens at UCF.  Coach Frost has invested in the facilities as I understand, not just his assistants.  I would truly like to see either one of them take the job if offered, but would not be a bit surprised to see them both stay right where they are. 

I honestly would be surprised if Coach Frost left UCF this year.  Coach Campbell, do not have a clue.  Iowa State getting a taste of the big time, could make them open the pocket book.  The real question I have is whether Nebraska ever will.  I remember Coach Osborne prior to the (hiring) of pelini, saying he thought he could get a quality head coach for less than 500K.  He was not in touch with reality in any way.  Coach Frost might come home for less than the norm, but anyone the level we need is going to be above 5.5 Million is my guess.  Add Pelini's and Coach Riley's settlement, your spending a lot of money.  Will we is the question. 

1 minute ago, MacNCheeze said:

Going to ask a serious question and im sure its been covered before but since were here now ill ask it again.  Given the fact that Bo had quite a few 9 and 10 win seasons would we of kept him around if he not only didnt have a bad attitude on the sidelines and wasnt an debacle with the whole nebraska fans thing and the offered other jobs thing...etc etc.  Would you of wanted to keep him around.  Because even though we werent awesome we did have a couple big 12 title appearances and a few Big 12 north division titles on that also.  Because people are on here saying we would be looking for a new coach in 3 years like we are now if we had that kind of record because i honestly just dont see it.  I think frost comes here, he builds a respectable program both on and off the field.  I would think we would give him all the time in the world.

It has been covered extensively and I don't think it's a tangent we want to go down in this thread because it often results in heated debate. It's also not overly germane to this thread.

I'll answer by extrapolating your question to Frost - I think he would be given a significant amount of time to build a program at Nebraska because he's young, talented and, at least for now, likable. This would be particularly true if he treated the fans well, did not embarrass himself on the sidelines, his players did well in the classroom and if they had few off the field issues. At some point, however, it would come down to winning games and winning the games that matter.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, MacNCheeze said:

No. Not only did he lose the big games, he got destroyed in them.