** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

6 minutes ago, huskerfan69 said:

florida and tennessee do not like nebraska and know how badly we want him. the offers are going to be ridiculous. i can guarantee that.

In spite of us?.... Come on, man.

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

We've shown, in this thread and others, that time is not a factor in building a top tier program. We've had examples from eras dating back to the 70s showing that, if a program makes that jump, it's in a 3 year window, with the data showing a big jump specifically in year 2. Giving a new coach "more time" is in effect no different than giving the current coach "more time". 

What at it does do is increase the costs of firing a coach. 

Not sure where you got that quote from me.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway

1 minute ago, Dbqgolfer said:

yes, but 10 years and 50 million, you're still on the hook for 20 million after 6 years, seems kind of steep.

A 10 year contract is basically the same as saying he would be "guaranteed" five years.  Coaches basically always have a five-year contract to start a season.  After five years, having a five year contract would be 10.

1 minute ago, jessica0 said:

Why would things go poorly? He hates losing and hates poor execution. 

Everyone on this board hates losing and hates poor execution; pretty sure things would go poorly if any of us were the coach.

Just saying, I want Frost as much as the next person, but selecting a coach is risky, there are no guarantees.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

A 10 year contract is basically the same as saying he would be "guaranteed" five years.  Coaches basically always have a five-year contract to start a season.  After five years, having a five year contract would be 10.

Good point, and at his age, I suppose a lot of the buy out would be mitigated by his salary at his next job (assuming he isn't going to Youngstown State for $200 K at year).

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, grandpasknee said:

I asked the same thing on another thread (or maybe this one).  Why do we have to fire him?  Can't we make him earn his money by shaking hands, chewing gum, yelling hip hip hurray now and then and kissing babies?  I'm guessing his contract specifies his duties specifically as head football coach.  But I'd be all for having him in a non-coaching, non-contact with the players role rather than paying him to run back to Oregon.  Businesses do that all the time to encourage people to "quit".  Change job duties to the point it becomes unbearable.  Not so much in favor of doing this as I am curious about it.

So you want to essentially turn Mike Riley into a mascot?  If Mike Riley is fired on a Friday he's out of town by the following week at the latest.  There is literally zero chance Mike Riley stays in Nebraska one minute longer than what is necessary.  Why would Nebraska have Riley stick around in the role you described?  It's frankly humiliating.  We're not savages for goodness sake.

Edited by Xmas32
4 minutes ago, huskerfan69 said:

he was coordinator of the year at oregon and is now undefeated as a head coach. it's the best hire we can possibly make right now.

He's undefeated in 2017, and Diaco was an "Assistant of the Year" once as well, so.....yeah.

Listen, I think Frost is the right hire. He's my #1 guy. But $7 million is too much, and 10 years seems unnecessarily long on a first contract.

• Plus1 5
5 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

True, but they should get even more creative than that. Give him multiple shares of Berkshire Hathaway. Give him a 100-acre ranch with caretakers. Work out a deal with Runza so he and his family can always eat there for free.

Leave no stone unturned because this will probably be the last chance to hire him.

Runza!! We want him here..right.:D

I’m just here laughing at everyone saying what they’re ok with paying a coach when nobody here has any say in who is hired, when, for how much pay or how long of a contract. 

Nobody cares what you’re ok with, are you going to write an angry letter if they pay him too much?

• Plus1 2