** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

Just now, Sparker said:

Do they have the stipulation that his next coaching salary is deducted from the buyout?

If so, it makes sense that he would want 10+ or he's basically coaching for fun.

Yeah, all those contracts have "offset lanquage" that if he gets a new job, the old contract gets reduced by that amount.  So, if Florida would hire Chip for $6.5M per year, the 49ers wouldn't be on the hook anymore, because that per year deal is greater than the 49ers deal.

But, why would Chip come back to coaching for anything less than $7M if he didn't have to?

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It's the latter.

Schools are large businesses, and they're making multi-million dollar investments in these coaches. The people who make these decisions are entrusted to responsibly take care of that money. If they were to be so loose-lipped that the average Joe on the Street can know the inner workings of the hiring process, they would be fired.  That goes for anyone on their staff entrusted with actual knowledge of the situation. 

No guy on a message board, no journalist - and ESPECIALLY no journalist who isn't a local beat writer (like Dan Wolken, Andy Staples, Brett McMurphy, etc) - knows which coaches have been approached, what the negotiations are like, who is being added to or crossed off a list. 

All of that is fantasy. It's speculation intended to entertain.  People on message boards claim to be "insiders" because they get off on pretending to be important.  Journalists create candidate lists out of what they think the fans want to see or purely out of their own imagination because their job is to get you to read their article.  They don't know anything. 

The next time you hear someone prattling on about having inside information, remember the days between when Bo was fired and Riley was hired.  Remember all the lists, all the speculation, all the insiders telling us who was on Eichorst's list, who was being talked to, bap bap bap. 

And then remember that not one insider so much as mentioned Mike Riley's name. 

Image result for well said meme

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The point?  How would I know?  

You think the sock was not a regular HB poster?  How is Jessica any different than the sock?

I just made an observation.  It looks like several agree with me.

Well, she does seem to have a little better grasp of the English language. And she's convinced Scott is coming home. So, yeah, I like that about her.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, all those contracts have "offset lanquage" that if he gets a new job, the old contract gets reduced by that amount.  So, if Florida would hire Chip for $6.5M per year, the 49ers wouldn't be on the hook anymore, because that per year deal is greater than the 49ers deal.

But, why would Chip come back to coaching for anything less than $7M if he didn't have to?

Don't know much about him, you couldn't fit some of these guys' egos into an airport hangar. If he was to come back, it's probably because he was close, but didn't get a ring in Eugene, and things went to total crap in the NFL. If these kinds of guys get a chance to rectify past failures, they normally take it, as they definitely don't want their career to end with such a thud.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Because he loves coaching and the 49ers contract only pays him through 2019.  So, if he can get into a place like Florida with the talent they have available and be successful, even with the off set language in the contract, long term he is set to make a lot more.

4 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

You think the sock was not a regular HB poster?  

I used to know who the sock was. It's just a bit of fun.  There are a few accounts who are socks of regular members who are just here to add some fun to things.  If they were causing a problem they'd be banned. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

I have to disagree here. I fully believe if Oregon wouldn't have thought the Auburn RB was down when he actually landed on the an Oregon defender and they would have finished the tackle, Auburn wouldn't have been able to be in position to kick the game winning field goal. It was a low scoring game even though both teams had a bunch of yards. I think Kelly and his style of offense could be successful. If you remember Nick Saban absolutely hates Kelly's style of fast paced offense and it's because it is extremely hard to stop!

My point is that their vaunted offense struggled against auburn in a single game. Helfrichs Kelly built squad playing his offense got squashed by an SEC caliber OSU club in the title game. I look on that and wonder how successful it will be in the meat grinder that is the SEC. I could see it working well. But I could also see them getting man handled. I'm not sure, it will be fun to watch if it happens for sure

Edited by husker98
1 minute ago, husker98 said:

My point is that their vaunted offense struggled against auburn in a single game. Helfrichs Kelly built squad playing his offense got squashed by an SEC caliber OSU club in the title game. I look on that and wonder how successful it will be in the meat grinder that is the SEC. I could see it working well. But I could also see them getting man handled. I'm not sure it will be fun to watch it it happens for sure

You can't accurately judge something with one data point, though. Over the course of his career, he's been very, very successful. Auburn, Ole Miss, MSU, Florida and (now) Bama have all had varying degrees of success running a spread offense (or using spread principles) in the SEC. 

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I used to know who the sock was. It's just a bit of fun.  There are a few accounts who are socks of regular members who are just here to add some fun to things.  If they were causing a problem they'd be banned. 

I don't have a problem with it.  I just think it's hilarious people treat these posters like the oracle from the Matrix when it's just another HB poster that added a second account.