** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

4 hours ago, secretasianman said:

Regarding people’s suggestions of former players and Blackshirts being selected for Frost’s staff — look, just because you played, doesn’t mean you can coach.  Not all players are leaders and most must be lead.  Plus, you don’t just jump into coaching at this level.  Seriously, some of the suggestions are mind boggling — players that have zero coaching experience !?

Second— look at who coaches hire for their staff :  other coaches within their network.  Our previous 3 coaches did it, Frost will too.  Look at his current staff— they are all linked to him.

Coach Dewitt (assoc. head coach, LB’s, Special Teams)- was UNI’s d- coordinator after Frost. 

Chinander (DC) coached at UNI and Oregon with Frost

Austin (OL) grad assistant at Oregon, played at NU

Dawson (DL) connected to Frost through Chip Kelly

Held (RB) former teammate of Frost, 17 years in coaching 

Verduzco (QB) coached at UNI with Frost

Raymond (director of player dev) 

same position at Oregon when Frost was there.

Dillon (player personnel) from Oregon also

Ruud (qca) player at NU, no coaching experience 

Haines (off. GA) played at Oregon when Frost coached there

Duval (strength) was at NU when Frost played here

That leaves 3 coaches on his current staff that he didn’t have ties to.  And 2 of them were at UCF previously.

Connect the dots.  Scott won’t be making any big name, splash hires for assistants.

(Regarding bolded point) I agree.  I know for myself, that I just long for that tough, defense to make an appearance again.   I'm erroroneously thinking that we just need more former Blackshirts around who understand what it means to BE a Blackshirt-like that spirit will rub off on our current players. Well, we'll have some of those on staff but they won't necessarily be coaching. I'm sure these boys will get an earful of  what that looks like.  So guilty as charged! (I know-'stuck in the 90's' mind set but I'm so looking forward to getting back to being competitive again!)

Ode to the Thread of Scott Frost

Ode to the forum of the soon to be Husker king

Which should be pinned to the top tab to be seen

May you live long a testament of the journey

Of a thousand board members that are worthy

You started out a catch all place

Where rumors and random thoughts were given a base

To grow, thrive and  perhaps die

But never to say goodbye

You are truly are a megathread

Dedicated to the man in red

May you live on in perpetuity 

The next chapter of continuity 

Of being a Husker Fanatic started with thee 

THE END

PS- DON"T LOCK ME UP!

Edited by krc1995
  • Plus1 6

7 hours ago, ladyhawke said:

Wouldn't you just love to sit down with Bud Foster or Brent Venebles and ask them what makes a good DC?  I wonder what they would say.  

I like Venables schemes. he runs a 4-3 base with a "bubble".  They also have some amazing athletes and have been putting guys in the league at an alarming rate.  They also can develop talent.  Some one posted that of the top 8 teams, Clemson currently has 43 (IIRC) blue chip players (4*/5*)....Wisky only has 6, Miami 25 and Bama tops at 69 I believe...

Dabo and Co have a definitive scheme on both sides of the ball and have established  a culture.  Venables came in after Steele was let go after Clemson gave up a record number of points in the orange bowl against West Virginia. In a very short while, Venables turned the D into one of the best in the FBS.........

IIRC, he is now making north of a a million........He is great at what he does....

Watch Clemson this weekend.  It's not scientific, but the pass the eyeball test.  They are fundamentally sound, tackle well in space, fly to the ball, play fierce and with a reckless abandon....

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, lo country said:

I like Venables schemes. he runs a 4-3 base with a "bubble".  They also have some amazing athletes and have been putting guys in the league at an alarming rate.  They also can develop talent.  Some one posted that of the top 8 teams, Clemson currently has 43 (IIRC) blue chip players (4*/5*)....Wisky only has 6, Miami 25 and Bama tops at 69 I believe...

Dabo and Co have a definitive scheme on both sides of the ball and have established  a culture.  Venables came in after Steele was let go after Clemson gave up a record number of points in the orange bowl against West Virginia. In a very short while, Venables turned the D into one of the best in the FBS.........

IIRC, he is now making north of a a million........He is great at what he does....

Watch Clemson this weekend.  It's not scientific, but the pass the eyeball test.  They are fundamentally sound, tackle well in space, fly to the ball, play fierce and with a reckless abandon....

Bolded: This is what I want to see our players do again!  This first year I would love to see our players solidly develop the fundamentals and develop discipline. Our boys really lack this. 

10 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

With Ruud identified as one possible assistant, and Chinander as the DC, here is what a potential staff could look like:

OC:  TBD (would love Walters but I bet he gets the HC spot at UCF)

OL:  Greg Austin (Former Husker)

RB:  Ryan Held (Former Husker and teammate of Frost)

WR:  Keith Williams

QB:  Mario Verdusco

TE:  TBD/Open

DC:  Erik Chinander

DL:  John Parella (former Husker)

LB:  Barrett Ruud (former Husker)

DB:  Donte Williams

Special Teams/Associate HC:  Jovan Dewitt

Admin:  Meghan Taylor :)

http://www.ucfknights.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

Admin:  Todd McShane...gotta keep him

S&C:  Zach Duval (Former Husker)

Any good ideas for OC assuming Walters does not come?

20 minutes ago, lo country said:

I would love Venables but simply do not see him leaving Clemson...especially because he is high on Arkansas' list for a head coach. 

7 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I'm a Steelers fan and the Steelers have run the 3-4 for decades.  When I heard Riley wanted to run the 3-4 I was happy thinking we'd be very aggressive with it.  After it, it's called Blitzburgh for a reason.  Well, needless to say I suffered a major let down as the season proceeded.  

Fellow Steelers fan! I was telling people this before the seasons started - of course it helps when you have the DL and LB the Steelers have. Fast, physical and smart. The whole point of the 3-4 is to cause chaos, make the QB think and rush every play. We never blitzed once under Diaco. The 3-4 doesnt work without a blitz. I love the defense because if your corners are good, the pressure on the QB causes mistakes and when your corners are bad, the QB can't get the through off/your helping contain with the zone. 

• Plus1 1