** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

4 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Between this and Riley doing his final press conference wearing Nebraska gear, I wonder if Moos will have Riley set up with some sort of job in the AD if he doesn't go back to Oregon State to coach?

I mean, I think everyone likes and respects Riley as a person, and he really seems to be a great, genuine guy. He just didn't get it done as head coach, but that doesn't mean he can't help out in other ways... :dunno

PLEASE NO!!!  I understand Riley is a nice guy, but he doesn't deserve any spot within the NU athletic department.  Have people just forgotten how much of a failure his tenure at NU was?  If Riley is kept around in any capacity, it opens up the door for his former players to be loyal to him, rather than the new coach.  I appreciate Riley and his assistants being gracious in this transition period, but the new coach would be saying "Why is Riley still here? Wasn't he fired?".  Let him go back to Corvallis to help out the new Oregon State coach.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 5

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

PLEASE NO!!!  I understand Riley is a nice guy, but he doesn't deserve any spot within the NU athletic department.  Have people just forgotten how much of a failure his tenure at NU was?  If Riley is kept around in any capacity, it opens up the door for his former players to be loyal to him, rather than the new coach.  I appreciate Riley and his assistants being gracious in this transition period, but the new coach would be saying "Why is Riley still here? Wasn't he fired?".  Let him go back to Corvallis to help out the new Oregon State coach.

1.  How much of a failure he was >>> a failure as a coach doesn't mean he might not be successful in some other role.

2.  Being around opens the door for former players to be loyal to him >>> Bo being gone didn't seem to stop many players from continuing to be loyal to him it seems.

3.  If it isn't in a coaching capacity, I doubt Scott or any other coach with any degree of confidence would see this as a threat.

BUT....I'd prefer he just ambled back to Corvalis too.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

While I consider it unlikely you could still have Mike in a fundraising PR role and avoid conflicts of interest with the players.

Those kids are his, they are going to call and talk to him if he is here or on the other side of the world. 

This isn't like Bo. And Riley doesn't strike me as the kind to subvert others.

But again I find him getting that role to be unlikely, but not unworkable.

Edited by husker98
11 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Between this and Riley doing his final press conference wearing Nebraska gear, I wonder if Moos will have Riley set up with some sort of job in the AD if he doesn't go back to Oregon State to coach?

I mean, I think everyone likes and respects Riley as a person, and he really seems to be a great, genuine guy. He just didn't get it done as head coach, but that doesn't mean he can't help out in other ways... :dunno

I understand the warm feelings because Riley is a good dude who handled his firing gracefully, as did the AD.  But why can’t we just leave it at that?  You might have a really amicable breakup with someone, but that doesn’t mean you start spending your weekends with them again, if you have any brains. 

The firing was handled with class, but it was a firing. He didn’t move the football program forward and that is why he is gone.  What evidence is there that’s he would help in another capacity?

Let the man say goodbye to the school and the community if he wants to, and consider his buyout a lovely parting gift from the university. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, husker98 said:

While I consider it unlikely you could still have Mike in a fundraising PR role and avoid conflicts of interest with the players.

Those kids are his, they are going to call and talk to him if he is here or on the other side of the world. 

This isn't like Bo. And Riley doesn't strike me as the kind to subvert others.

But again I find him getting that role to be unlikely, but not unworkable.

It shouldn't even be an option, frankly.

It would be like dating a woman and then going to her house and finding her ex-husband still living with her.  "Oh don't mind him, he just helps to cook and clean the house."

Just now, Jason Sitoke said:

I understand the warm feelings because Riley is a good dude who handled his firing gracefully, as did the AD.  But why can’t we just leave it at that?  You might have a really amicable breakup with someone, but that doesn’t mean you start spending your weekends with them again, if you have any brains. 

The firing was handled with class, but it was a firing. He didn’t move the football program forward and that is why he is gone.  What evidence is there that’s he would help in another capacity?

Let the man say goodbye to the school and the community if he wants to, and consider his buyout a lovely parting gift from the university. 

Thank you!!!  And the main thing is to LET HIM LEAVE!!!  He shouldn't be kept around!!!

So does anybody have a definitive or highly reliable idea of when the coaching announcement will be made? My friend said his kid heard from some UNL students that the announcement will be made to UCF players on Sunday. I told him I thought it was Saturday and he got pissed because I didn't take his word as gospel.

5 minutes ago, Husker John said:

So does anybody have a definitive or highly reliable idea of when the coaching announcement will be made? My friend said his kid heard from some UNL students that the announcement will be made to UCF players on Sunday. I told him I thought it was Saturday and he got pissed because I didn't take his word as gospel.

I don't think anyone really knows, but sounding like it may be Saturday evening? I am sure at this point we hear no later than Sunday night.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker John said:

I could see this being true. If they win, let them enjoy it for a day. No matter what, I bet Scott will be on the school's Beechcraft Super King Air 300 early Sunday for an early afternoon press conference.

I could also see all the leaks we haven't been getting coming out during or after the game on Saturday, an official announcement from one of the schools Saturday night, and then the Sunday presser in Lincoln.

8 minutes ago, Husker John said:

Sounds like he posts here. 

• Plus1 2

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/4999/how-scott-frost-evolved-chip-kelly-s-offense-at-central-florida

This article breaks down how SF has evolved Kelly's concepts to help him disguise the offense and keep defense's from keying on plays. I think it's also why we need to give SF 5-6 years at least. The first 2-3 years he may be working to evolve his offense for the B1G and its defenses. Great coaches are able to continually evolve their offenses and defenses over time so no one can figure them out and that's what SF has been doing at UCF and I think he could bring to NU.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Husker56 said:

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/4999/how-scott-frost-evolved-chip-kelly-s-offense-at-central-florida

This article breaks down how SF has evolved Kelly's concepts to help him disguise the offense and keep defense's from keying on plays. I think it's also why we need to give SF 5-6 years at least. The first 2-3 years he may be working to evolve his offense for the B1G and its defenses. Great coaches are able to continually evolve their offenses and defenses over time so no one can figure them out and that's what SF has been doing at UCF and I think he could bring to NU.

Great article. Really shows his knowledge and expertise of his offense and his ability to tweak things just a bit. Fun to watch.

• Plus1 1