** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

3 hours ago, RedNebraskan said:

Man those UCF boards really don't like Husker fans at all.  This is turning into a good little internet rivalry.  Not that anyone cares, but interesting nonetheless.  

Ya I saw that. So I joined lol. Most are nice. Only a few with real animosity. They know we want their coach.

First you find the best coach available and willing to consider the position.

Then you offer him as much as you need to in order to get the deal done. Money should be no object. If we lose out on the guy we have identified as the best fit because we lowball him or won’t pay a competitive salary, then we deserve to be mediocre.

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

First you find the best coach available and willing to consider the position.

Then you offer him as much as you need to in order to get the deal done. Money should be no object. If we lose out on the guy we have identified as the best fit because we lowball him or won’t pay a competitive salary, then we deserve to be mediocre.

I was listening to one of the local radio sports talk shows and the guest on there was talking about how the coffers at Nebraska are very very rich. We can afford to pay Scott and his assistant coaches very well. Money is not a problem at all. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If you deem Frost the right man for the job, you pay him the salary of that job. You don’t short change him for any reason. 

A strong Nebraska football program has to have a major impact on the state’s and Lincoln’s economy. Look what Lebron did/does for Cleveland https://www.vox.com/2017/6/1/15724252/lebron-james-economic-impact-cleveland-miami

I am not saying Frost is our Lebron but a solid coach that leads the program to titles would payoff economically exceedingly more than said salary even if it were $10M+ a year. Also think of the impact of going down the path we are going for the foreseeable future...

Spend what is necessary and once you get the right guy make sure you keep him

5 hours ago, junior4949 said:

My biggest fear is we're going to go offer Frost a low ball contract that he literally has to refuse.  Then, we'll hire another mediocre coach with the thought that we really are becoming a doormat in college football. 

The current coaches are talking like they could be here next year.

I think money wise with Frost, he's going to want a situation where his assistants are taken car of. I really think based on how he speaks and conducts himself he's looking to make sure his guys are financially taken care of and get the money they deserve. It's Osbornesque of him in a way.

5 hours ago, RedNebraskan said:

Man those UCF boards really don't like Husker fans at all.  This is turning into a good little internet rivalry.  Not that anyone cares, but interesting nonetheless.  

Yeah, they struck lightning in a bottle. Of course they don't want to lose him. Sadly, for them, I think his heart is at DONU.

Some say Moos was brought in to do one thing.  Makes sense because why else would Eichorst be fired. 

But ... Moos seems like a guy who would want to really evaluate the situation himself and with all of the young players (only 5 of the 22 starters are seniors), he may opt to give Riley more time.  This is what my gut tells me.

Frost seems to have integrity.  He believes in the potential of UCF and he's made a commitment to the school and his players.  I don't think that he'll walk away from that.  Just as Osborne was faced with the opportunity to go to Colorado, he stayed because of the commitments he felt were made to his current players and their families.  Frost is honorable like that. 

NU may be in his future, but I think he'll stay at UCF for a few more seasons.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you're on the hook for $5+ million a year to Herman, Sumlin or Jimbo Fisher, you might already be thinking it's too much.

Franklin, Dantonio, and Swinney are sitting near $4.4 million a year, which seems about right. 

Gary Patterson, David Shaw and Mark Richt are getting $4 million a year. Gary Peterson might be a bargain at $3.6 million.

Scott Frost might be this year's hot coach, but it's hard to believe he immediately commands a bigger salary than these guys. 

But I think you can give him something in the adjacent neighborhood, back-ended with perks and incentives. 

It might be a situation like how NFL QB's get paid. Matt Stafford is the highest paid QB in the NFL. Is he the best QB? No, he just happens to be the most recent franchise QB to get a new contract...

Its lookin' like Frost is a hot commodity; so he may be considered the next 'Franchise Coach' to many teams out there looking for his services. Is he the best/most proven coach in CFB? maybe not, but he is going to be the most recent big name hire; and for that reason, will probably need to be payed more than Shaw, Peterson, Richt, etc.... and when it's time for their extensions to be made; they'll need to be payed at/or higher than what Frost is at.

It's just how the business works, it seems.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, secretasianman said:

Some say Moos was brought in to do one thing.  Makes sense because why else would Eichorst be fired. 

But ... Moos seems like a guy who would want to really evaluate the situation himself and with all of the young players (only 5 of the 22 starters are seniors), he may opt to give Riley more time.  This is what my gut tells me.

Frost seems to have integrity.  He believes in the potential of UCF and he's made a commitment to the school and his players.  I don't think that he'll walk away from that.  Just as Osborne was faced with the opportunity to go to Colorado, he stayed because of the commitments he felt were made to his current players and their families.  Frost is honorable like that. 

I am not sure where people get this idea that Moos is going to keep Riley.  SE was FIRED MID SEASON!  You don't DO that if you are happy with the current path.  Riley is as good as gone and you can see on his face that HE knows it too. 

Moos was hired to do one thing well and that is get the best football coach he can to replace Riley.

Yeah Frost might decide to stay at UCF another year but I seriously doubt it.  It's gonna be real hard to turn down Tennessee and Nebraska and possibly UCLA or other P5 jobs that are going to come knocking.  If he DOES stay and Florida doesn't get better next season, then Florida would almost certainly offer him a job at 5-6M/year.  I don't see McElwain getting it done.  If that happens than we can probably kiss him goodbye as a Nebraska coach because Gainesville is a very nice place to live if you are making that kind of cash.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, secretasianman said:

If MR is retained, then Moos needs to be fired.

• Plus1 4