** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

7 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

When i read the hysteria about Frost here and other places, I have the sense that no one else would do.  Here is a more interesting question.  If we knew Scott doesn't want to leave UCF for anywhere this year.  Would people still want Riley fired knowing we wouldn't have Scott, or would you give him another year?  Is it Scott or bust?

Riley has to go.  If Frost ain't coming, we'll just have to wander through the wilderness for a few more years with another crapshoot.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Rimington said it was the entire reason. 

Ask people around the university.  Dave also said we have spent time telling people the walk-on program had died.  He spent a lot of time telling people what they wanted to hear.  Actually it doesn't matter why, he is gone.  I think Moos is an upgrade.

14 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Past resume has a lot to do with it. Riley has no history of winning outside of some random 9 win seasons. There is no hope for a large percentage of the fanbase. If there was hope then they wouldn't be talking about wanting a new guy and the AD wouldn't have been fired. The leadership feels the same way and we see that from the firing of the AD. 

Coach Frost has won at every level and everywhere he has been at. So he will get a lot of time to build his vision and his program. As long as the team is playing good football he will be around for as long as he wants to be. Losing seasons are really rare at Nebraska and firing a coach like Solich was an incompetent move to start with and we should never do something like that again. 

TN is basically having the same problems that we are having - can't get the right coach. They are wanting Frost just like we are wanting Frost. Both schools need to be smart for how they go about this so they are not saddled with another low key hire that isn't going to get much done again. 

You didn't really answer the question. You sort of did. Can I understand that 'past résumé has a lot to do with it' means more coaches than just Frost who have a positive winning record and history of winning will be afforded the courtesy of getting time to build the program?

I can completely understand someone being skeptical of Riley based on his history. That's not my concern. My issue is people mentally preparing themselves for the very real possibility that Scott Frost may not be the next head coach here. It would be unfair to not afford that coach the same courtesy of having time to build.

From the Chalk Talk above:

But what often happens is that offensive coordinators run so many different concepts in a game that they never really gain actionable intelligence about the defense.  Run 50 different concepts in a game and you’re gathering intelligence sometimes into the fourth quarter.  And even if you do gain that intelligence, you don’t have enough total plays to repeat a concept with a new wrinkle to take advantage of the defense before the clock strikes zero.

Frost’s offense has no such problem because it’s the same core concepts over and over with just enough variation to keep the defense guessing.  They may run Power five times in the first quarter, but only three of them will be runs with two other Bubble screens.  So when the defense sees Power and keys the run, it never knows whether it’s going to be right on that key.  And the whole time Frost is gathering data on how the safety plays it.  If he starts coming down, run Power but with a vertical pass behind the dropping safety.  Or Bubble it out and make the CB make a one on one tackle that results in a TD if he misses.  If the safety stays high in pass support, Run The Damn Ball.  Over and over and over.

HCT

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Also....I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.  Does Frost call the plays?  Or, does he have an OC that calls the plays?

Almost positive Frost calls the plays.

• Plus1 2

59 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If a job he wants becomes available then I don't believe the year's results at UCF really matter. His talent acquisition, regardless of how good of a coach he is, has limitations in the long run. I also think it would take a full career to turn UCF into a consistent national contender that has enough respect to make the CFP and oust a power 5 team (assuming the conferences stay as is).

Many have heaped heavy praise on his results so far at UCF, and they certainly deserve recognition, but it's a lot different playing in that conference than it is one like the Big 10. If he has aspirations of competing at the highest level then he has to leave UCF.

I think Scott knows what he would be up against and he's a guy of adversity. He could thrive in the B1G. I just want to see competitiveness and no embarrassing losses. It's one thing to lose 27-20 to Ohio State at home it's another to lose 56-14. Next year's schedule is brutal and like you said, if there's any competitiveness in him, he won't shy away from it. 

If Frost was here, I'd seriously be satisfied with an 8-4 result based on next year's schedule alone. I don't think there would be pitchforks if we're competitive in the games we lose. When his offensive philosophy is to run the ball more, especially in Lincoln, I don't think 56-14 type of losses at home happen.

And there was no emphasis on the run game against Ohio State. We simply abandoned it whenever we got 3-4 yard gains with Ozigbo which our OC considers negative plays. We're being duped again by Riley and his staff with bogus coach speak about wanting to run the ball better. If so, show some commitment to it then! It's been 2.5 years!

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

From the Chalk Talk above:

HCT

Almost positive Frost calls the plays.

Yep, Frost is the play caller at UCF. He has a OCINO, lol OC in name only. An eye in the sky if you will.

Just now, ladyhawke said:

Question: What is Scott Frost’s ‘Dream Job’?  I’ve seen that mentioned in a couple of places but no one has said what it is. 

If you read Aaron Taylor's FB post -- it is Nebraska.

2 minutes ago, FTW said:

Yep, Frost is the play caller at UCF. He has a OCINO, lol OC in name only. An eye in the sky if you will.

If you read Aaron Taylor's FB post -- it is Nebraska.

That’s what I thought but wanted to be sure. If this is the case then is it a fore gone conclusion that Scott will be our next coach?  I’m sure Mr. Moos has already been told in no uncertain terms that Scott is the man we want. So why do I feel so apprehensive about this whole issue?

41 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

When i read the hysteria about Frost here and other places, I have the sense that no one else would do.  Here is a more interesting question.  If we knew Scott doesn't want to leave UCF for anywhere this year.  Would people still want Riley fired knowing we wouldn't have Scott, or would you give him another year?  Is it Scott or bust?

IMO, the ship has sailed on Riley. We're in year 3 and we know what we've got. They're talking about rebuilding in year 3? We don't have time for this crap. They keep giving us excuses and keep saying all the right things to the media and fan base yet when they take the field it's something else entirely.

It's like I ordered a steak dinner but I got the soup of the day instead. Good soup but I'm still f#$@*=! starving!

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, FTW said:

IMO, the ship has sailed on Riley. We're in year 3 and we know what we've got. They're talking about rebuilding in year 3? We don't have time for this crap. They keep giving us excuses and keep saying all the right things to the media and fan base yet when they take the field it's something else entirely.

It's like I ordered a steak dinner but I got the soup of the day instead. Good soup but I'm still f#$@*=! starving!

But! If Scott wants to stay at UCF for one more year and Riley finishes the season by winning 4/5 games would you consider keeping him one more year?  

48 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I haven't seen a link to the alleged Aaron Taylor comments about Frost so I went looking around to see if I could verify it. I haven't found a link to his FB page with these comments, but unsurprisingly this quote is all over Nebraska message boards.  Closest thing I could find to verification is a screen shot that looks like it could be from FB. 

hKcABb0.jpg

Also, allegedly (again, no link), a guy on Reddit says he recently (pre-Bull Moose hiring) spoke with another former lineman teammate of Frost's, and that guy said much the same thing as Taylor has allegedly said. 

This was mentioned this morning by Damon Benning and was basically confirmed as real.  Damon said he contacted Aaron and Aaron responded in defense of what was said.  

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

That’s what I thought but wanted to be sure. If this is the case then is it a fore gone conclusion that Scott will be our next coach?  I’m sure Mr. Moos has already been told in no uncertain terms that Scott is the man we want. So why do I feel so apprehensive about this whole issue?

i think a lot of us wonder if it's that simple.....get Frost and win games.....this much i know, he would fare better immediately compared to Riley.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, FTW said:

IMO, the ship has sailed on Riley. We're in year 3 and we know what we've got. They're talking about rebuilding in year 3? We don't have time for this crap. 

I thought this week's press conferences where terrible. Coming off a bye heading into a series of extremely winnable games, and I think Langsdorf and Diaco had a bet on who could talk in circles the best. Not exactly convincing Moos that you have a workable plan.

6 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

But! If Scott wants to stay at UCF for one more year and Riley finishes the season by winning 4/5 games would you consider keeping him one more year?  

Money talks. If Moos can give Frost his word that his assistants will be paid and taken care of, I think he's on board after the Iowa game. This is the most important aspect to Scott. He wants his staff to get paid well. Add in the fact that a majority of his staff has connections to DONU and/or his playing days in HS and Stanford, it's a no-brainer.