** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

The real question here JessicaO is, is it easier to recruit to Tennessee or Nebraska.  That is what will be compared.  Few coaches in college football would take this job.  No matter the amount of money that was offered.

Half on this board would drop over dead with a top 5 class.

Comments are always on this board, you need to coach them up.   So if you are good coach and feel you can coach them up, you pick the place that has the best talent on hand.  See Urban Meyers turning down his dream job at Notre Dame and taking the Florida job.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

The state of Texas has 313 composite 3-stars ore higher. 313 vs 50......

Thus, the state of Texas alone has enough 3-stars or higher to fill up 12 FBS rosters for a full 25 recruiting class if every one of them stayed in their state. 

I'm glad that state lines somehow define recruiting. Plus they have a ton of FBS schools. I also love how OSU keeps stealing all of Texas' top talent:)

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In terms of what we expect of Nebraska football, it's not over and done with at all. 

Not so much the a-hole part. The winning part. 

It's also relevant to how college football views the Nebraska job. Frank Solich and Tom Osborne aren't over and done with, either.

I'm going to point out one glaring difference. Osborne won championships, Solich was a part of those championships and won a championship at Nebraska. Bo did not. So you might as well start bitching over how Bill Callahan got the axe, too. 

Pointless, right?

So I'm not going to let this SEC recruiting talk continue. I'm sure there's a thread for that... Maybe on an SEC board, if not here...

Back to someone's point of "Frost being a sure thing." Is he? Really? So Husker Nation, what happens if we do hire Frost and he flops? Goes let's say, 6-6, 8-4, 7-5, 7-5.. Do we all just give up hope at that point because people think he is a sure thing to bring Nebraska back to a title contender?

Would you rather......

Have Scott Frost hired in December since he is a legend at Nebraska as a player and has a solid coaching resume but a guy who has no HC experience at a P5 level, hasn't recruited at a high level (let alone at a lack of talent area like Nebraska and the 500 mi radius) and risk what little hope we have left in our program on Frost

or 

Hire away another HC at a P5 school (Justin Fuente VT, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly ND, Pat Fitzgerald TCU). At least if these guys fail the fan's won't lose complete faith in the football gods and we always have that hope of Frost coming back to Nebraska if he proves himself somewhere else first.

Just fyi, I was all about Frost being our HC before Riley was hired but now I'm a little nervous putting all my "hope eggs" in his basket

5 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Just because it is easier to recruit at one school doesn't mean it can't be easy to recruit to another.  I don't understand the thinking of 'But its easier to recruit to Texas or Miami or Georgia".  That doesn't make it not easy to recruit to Tennessee.

Atlanta is the epi center of SEC recruiting. One of the digs on Richt was his inability to land more of the top recruis in that state. Kirby is doing a better job of it.

1 minute ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

So I'm not going to let this SEC recruiting talk continue. I'm sure there's a thread for that... Maybe on an SEC board, if not here...

Back to someone's point of "Frost being a sure thing." Is he? Really? So Husker Nation, what happens if we do hire Frost and he flops? Goes let's say, 6-6, 8-4, 7-5, 7-5.. Do we all just give up hope at that point because people think he is a sure thing to bring Nebraska back to a title contender?

Would you rather......

Have Scott Frost hired in December since he is a legend at Nebraska as a player and has a solid coaching resume but a guy who has no HC experience at a P5 level, hasn't recruited at a high level (let alone at a lack of talent area like Nebraska and the 500 mi radius) and risk what little hope we have left in our program on Frost

or 

Hire away another HC at a P5 school (Justin Fuente VT, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly ND, Pat Fitzgerald TCU). At least if these guys fail the fan's won't lose complete faith in the football gods and we always have that hope of Frost coming back to Nebraska if he proves himself somewhere else first.

Just fyi, I was all about Frost being our HC before Riley was hired but now I'm a little nervous putting all my "hope eggs" in his basket

The reason people are talking about SEC and Tennessee is because we're more than likely going to be in a faceoff with them over Scott Frost. Word through the grapevine is TN is willing to offer him and his staff more money than we can and Frost is interested and would be ridiculous to say no because of the recruiting being easier. This is mostly what I heard on Sharp & Benning.

4 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

Would you rather......

or 

I have been a huge fan of Scott Frost's offense since he started calling plays at Oregon. I am very confident in his ability to create a dynamic offense at Nebraska. His main challenge will be getting the elite speed, but that was also a challenge at Oregon so it wouldn't be something new. 

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, FTW said:

Let's not go there. It's over and done with, right? Obviously we couldn't put up with it any longer and his reputation here has hurt him career wise. Time to move on.

What he did when he left the first time and then again when he left the second time is what has destroyed his chances of ever coaching a major program, not to mention his continued childish actions at YTS.

3 minutes ago, FTW said:

The reason people are talking about SEC and Tennessee is because we're more than likely going to be in a faceoff with them over Scott Frost. Word through the grapevine is TN is willing to offer him and his staff more money than we can and Frost is interested and would be ridiculous to say no because of the recruiting being easier. This is mostly what I heard on Sharp & Benning.

Then let me rephrase my question.. even though my other question is still valid...

If you're Frost, would you rather....

Go to Tennessee - Get paid, Keep the FL recruiting pipeline he already built on top of the TN current connections AND not have the pressure of Nebraska fans and coaching his alma mater 

or 

Go to Nebraska -  Get paid, go back home and try to bring your alma mater back to the way it was when he left 

That's truly what he will be debating when he ultimately makes a decision.

1 minute ago, skersfan said:

What he did when he left the first time and then again when he left the second time is what has destroyed his chances of ever coaching a major program, not to mention his continued childish actions at YTS.

You don't think the leaked tapes had anything to do with it? Or how about the constant ESPN highlights of his meltdowns? Or the national blowout losses? Coaches are a tight knit group. Word goes around quickly. Nobody was going to vouch for the guy. Bo was damaged goods that no P5 school wanted to go near except another former HC who was damaged goods. And yes, his reputation at Youngstown State is declining.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I learn something new every day.  Today, I learned that the past four coaches at TN have been absolute recruiting studs.  Whether you consider TN easy for recruiting or not, it doesn't change the fact that they have way underperformed for the talent they have.  It also doesn't change the fact that they have recruited quite a bit better than we have.  If I'm a coach looking for a program to make my mark, I'm probably choosing the program where I will have an easier time getting talent. 

Agreed, except for one caveat - The chance that we'd pay huge money to draw "the big name" in. I still absolutely believe that money is everything with regards to attracting the right coach.

I'm fine with someone making the argument that we don't have "huge money" to spend. That could be possible. But the very nature of the amount of guaranteed money that goes along with contracts is very alluring to any potential coach. We see the "very few coaches want to swim in our fishbowl" argument here, but the fact is that we don't spend Top 10 coaching salary figures.

I can't figure out why we don't do it.

33 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I learn something new every day.  Today, I learned that the past four coaches at TN have been absolute recruiting studs.  Whether you consider TN easy for recruiting or not, it doesn't change the fact that they have way underperformed for the talent they have.  It also doesn't change the fact that they have recruited quite a bit better than we have.  If I'm a coach looking for a program to make my mark, I'm probably choosing the program where I will have an easier time getting talent. 

This post may not be taking all factors into account...

LekQlf1.gif

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

or 

Frost has recruited at a high level at Oregon.

So you're saying we shouldn't hire Frost so that the fans can at least still have something to hope for?

Frost is a sure thing.  He'll win an NC within 5 years.  Somewhere.  Where would you prefer it to happen?

• Plus1 1