** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

2 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Good news is that he can't really "tanks us" as we're already near the bottom.

If Scott Frost comes to town and the program is still in the s#!tter with no sign of improvement, then that's what happens.

There is really no point of having a wish-list for coaches. Same thing always happens. You want this guy, the University gets that guy, you support him, it doesn't work out.

Only exception to that was Bo. I felt like a lot of people felt that Bo would bring back the blackshirts. That never happened.

If Scott sucks at least we'll know that he took the job in earnest to try and bring us back.  It's not because he was about to get flushed out of the NFL, is actively seeking a better job or on the ROADS program.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, unlfan said:

Simply too unproven for me. I love Nebraska guys. But if the answer to the question "Would this guy be considered if he wasn't a Nebraska alum?" is no, im going to pass.

Same applies to Trev.

I will be VERY disappointed if we end up with the Trev/Frost combo.

Word. Stick with Coach Riley. He's a class act, and he's just now starting to bring some decent recruits on board. Clearing the back stock takes time. My only complaint with Coach R. is that he should have cleared the bench last year and booted several of the old order. There were horrible attitude issues left from the old regime.

• Plus1 1

There's a lot to like about Frost. He wouldn't be my first choice. If the top 3-5 guys that Nebraska wanted to hire said no though, then I would be fine hiring him as a backup option.

There's two things I really like about Frost (not related to him playing at Nebraska specifically). First, he's been both an offensive coordinator (Oregon) and a defensive coordinator (UNI). That gives him a strong grasp of both offensive and defensive football and how they play off each other.

Second, look at the football minds he learned from as a player and coach. Frost has learned under Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, Bill Snyder and Chip Kelly. That's quite the education in football. Most coaches would kill for an apprenticeship like that.

• Plus1 2

I honestly haven't paid enough attention to really know for sure.  And I'd like to see how this season goes for him.

But I do think he's on a track that gives him a better resume than just "played for Nebraska."  Yes, we're probably more familiar with him because of that.  But he not only played in college but the NFL.  He's worked himself up from position coach to OC for a nationally competitive program to HC at a group of 5 school.  That's pretty much the definition of rising star.  That doesn't mean it will work out, but you can't ask for a lot more for someone on that track at this point in his career.  Also, I would think being the son of coaches would be a benefit as he's basically been around it his whole life (obviously at a lesser level).

I would tend to give him the benefit of the doubt not because he played for Nebraska but because I think the Chip Kelly offense is the best choice for Nebraska.  The Osborne offense isn't ever coming back but it uses some of the same concepts and is a power running offense out of spread sets.  We ran a version of it in previous years and it allowed Helu/Burkhead/Abdullah to become all-time Husker rushers. If we could have a QB closer to a Mariotta skill set it might have been about unstoppable.

So I think he would be near the top of my list in the Group of Five HC department.  I'd still want to do some looking in the Small Power 5 HC department and Top 10 Power Five Coordinator group but Frost would be in the discussion.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

I honestly haven't paid enough attention to really know for sure.  And I'd like to see how this season goes for him.

But I do think he's on a track that gives him a better resume than just "played for Nebraska."  Yes, we're probably more familiar with him because of that.  But he not only played in college but the NFL.  He's worked himself up from position coach to OC for a nationally competitive program to HC at a group of 5 school.  That's pretty much the definition of rising star.  That doesn't mean it will work out, but you can't ask for a lot more for someone on that track at this point in his career.  Also, I would think being the son of coaches would be a benefit as he's basically been around it his whole life (obviously at a lesser level).

I would tend to give him the benefit of the doubt not because he played for Nebraska but because I think the Chip Kelly offense is the best choice for Nebraska.  The Osborne offense isn't ever coming back but it uses some of the same concepts and is a power running offense out of spread sets.  We ran a version of it in previous years and it allowed Helu/Burkhead/Abdullah to become all-time Husker rushers. If we could have a QB closer to a Mariotta skill set it might have been about unstoppable.

So I think he would be near the top of my list in the Group of Five HC department.  I'd still want to do some looking in the Small Power 5 HC department and Top 10 Power Five Coordinator group but Frost would be in the discussion.

Scott might/probably will lose today, but looking at their schedule a 8-4 or 9-3 season looks probable - not bad for a second year head coach coming into the mess he inherited 

Just think, if Solich was never HC and Tom changed his mind, stayed for another 6 years or so and then handed things over to Frost in 2003, a lot of our national embarrassing losses would have never happened, Pederson/Callahan would have never happened. Riley wouldn't be here.

We would probably be in the Big 12 right now playing OU every year with the round robin scheduling. We probably wouldn't be saying we've been without a conference championship since 1999.

So, Frost has tremendous upside. I do not think Nebraska is a great job that our fans make it out to be. Our program isn't what it was before. It's just not. Remember, Osborne coached under Devaney and had no head coaching experience when he took over. Winning 9-10 games a year is great as long as those 2-3 losses aren't being blown out 76-30 or 62-3.

8 minutes ago, FTW said:

Just think, if Solich was never HC and Tom changed his mind, stayed for another 6 years or so and then handed things over to Frost in 2003, a lot of our national embarrassing losses would have never happened, Pederson/Callahan would have never happened. Riley wouldn't be here.

We would probably be in the Big 12 right now playing OU every year with the round robin scheduling. We probably wouldn't be saying we've been without a conference championship since 1999.

So, Frost has tremendous upside. I do not think Nebraska is a great job that our fans make it out to be. Our program isn't what it was before. It's just not. Remember, Osborne coached under Devaney and had no head coaching experience when he took over. Winning 9-10 games a year is great as long as those 2-3 losses aren't being blown out 76-30 or 62-3.

Tom's not an idiot. He left when he did for a reason. Also, another 6 years, and I bet he still would have given the job to Solich. You're delusional.

• Plus1 5
3 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Tom's not an idiot. He left when he did for a reason. Also, another 6 years, and I bet he still would have given the job to Solich. You're delusional.

He left because he promised Solich he'd name him head coach obviously he has regrets about this when there were rumors Tom was interested in going to Michigan State after he retired. The point of my post was even though Frost doesn't have HC experience I'm more willing to give him time than I am for a 60 year old career loser.

• Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic